Protecting bottom of founts...

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
basenjib123

Protecting bottom of founts...

Post by basenjib123 »

Any ideas/photos of DIY fount protection?
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Protecting bottom of founts...

Post by 1hpycmpr »

I use plastic lids of coffee containers and I have one in all my lantern boxes. They are great to use to prevent rim rash while lighting the lantern prior to hanging. I’ve seen some folk use a piece of tubing cut open and placed around the rim.
Mark
*Stargazer*
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I use aquarium air tubing. It was a couple of bucks at Walmart for 25'. On the first lantern I did, I covered the entire base, but think that's overkill, so now just use four small pieces about 1 1/2" in length. I insert scissors into the end of the tubing and force them along as I'm cutting. Even if you're not cutting straight, the tubing is flexible enough to overcome this when attaching to the fount. I did this for two lanterns that needed to have something to protect the item the lanterns were sitting on.

This is the tubing I'm using:
Tubing.jpg
This is on a 200, but it's hard to make out because it's clear. It circles the entire base of the fount.
200 fount front.jpg
200 fount base.jpg
This Mil-spec has four individual pieces.
Mil-spec.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Warning! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Protection from what? Scratches/ rim rash? See Jim's post. Rust? I've found nickel founts with paint on the bottom, seemed to work. Rust from inside? Keeping clean fuel in and blowing it out with an air gun after every few fount fulls of run time.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

I used a rubber gasket from a valve cover of and a overhead valve six cylinder Jeep over 35 years ago to keep rim rash from wearing out the bottoms of my 236's while fishing from bridges in Florida. Handling them on a concrete sidewalk over and over made me cringe and look for a quick solution.Those pieces of gasket are still on them and are still flexible.
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

How about car door edge guard? I’ve been thinking about it for a while.

Besteek Car Door Edge Guards 32Ft(10M) U Shape Car Door Protector Rubber Seal Door Guard Internal Double Sided Tape (No Glue Required)
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

Great ideas, thanks for the replies.
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:47 pm How about car door edge guard? I’ve been thinking about it for a while.

Me too! I just never to remember it when I'm near a parts store.. or even Wally World.Actually don't get out much anymore...

Besteek Car Door Edge Guards 32Ft(10M) U Shape Car Door Protector Rubber Seal Door Guard Internal Double Sided Tape (No Glue Required)
Wayne signing off...

vrecha

Post by vrecha »

I use this product, it's a rubber/metal combination designed to protect edges. Very durable.
Damjan

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood ...
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0234
Looking for lanterns dated 8/80 or 1/78
basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

vrecha wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm I use this product, it's a rubber/metal combination designed to protect edges. Very durable.
Good one!!
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:47 pm How about car door edge guard? I’ve been thinking about it for a while.

^^^ this right here.

Another member showed their finished fount with door edge guards and it works great if setting them on rough surfaces. I like 'truck' door trim edge guard because it has polyurethane in the groove to seal out moisture. I've only done this to 1 or 2 lanterns.

Edge guards could trap moisture so be cautious and check it from time to time. You have the same issue with fount safes.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

vrecha wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm I use this product, it's a rubber/metal combination designed to protect edges. Very durable.
What brand is that?
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
LongDuck

Clamp-on safes also store convenient items,

Post by LongDuck »

While the risk of also storing water is there, the heavy aluminum base means they'll never wear out and with occasional opening and closing of the safe, the risk of scratching the fount paint is minimal. I keep safes on all 3 of my lanterns, 2 of the aluminum cheesecake-pan type, and the other just the plastic base from a carry case.

Rim rash is to be expected, but can be minimized to retain value and utility in user lanterns,
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's
vrecha

Post by vrecha »

What brand is that?
This is a local product of one factory in Slovenia that makes lots of different industrial rubber profiles. It is this profile that I use. I see the on-line store is only in Slovene language, though. Don't know if they sell outside Slo or EU.
Damjan

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood ...
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0234
Looking for lanterns dated 8/80 or 1/78
KCSA75

Post by KCSA75 »

A while back I saw where a guy was spraying the bottom and rims of the fount with Rustoleum Bedliner. He put enough on to protect, but you could still see the marking on the bottom of the tank. I don't know if you would want to do that to collector pieces, but I think it would be a good idea for lanterns that get used regularly.
:cf_colemanlanternlogo:
Willie
Kansas City
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

vrecha wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm
What brand is that?
This is a local product of one factory in Slovenia that makes lots of different industrial rubber profiles. It is this profile that I use. I see the on-line store is only in Slovene language, though. Don't know if they sell outside Slo or EU.
This is exactly what the valve cover gasket for a OHC 6 cylinder engine looks like. I found the least expensive gasket on the military surplus websites.. the gasket would be for a M715 five quarter ton truck.
Wayne signing off...

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993