What is the value of the platinum used in Coleman Propane and Liquid Fuel type catalytic heaters?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Clemente

What is the value of the platinum used in Coleman Propane and Liquid Fuel type catalytic heaters?

Post by Clemente »

What is the current market value of the platinum used in the Coleman Propane and Liquid fueled catalytic heaters?

I have models 5033 and 5038 purchased used, and recently purchased one sold as "new in box" which is the Sportcat Model 5035. They are all the propane powered versions with a round domed heater head. Two are 3000 BTU, the Sportcat 5035 is 1500 BTU.

The 5035 and 5038 instruction manuals say they contain platinum. The 5033 manual does not say what the catalyst material is made of.

For example, the 5038 manual says:

"This is a catalytic heater. Burning occurs within the pad at a lower temperature than a normal flame due to evenly distributed platinum."

Does anyone know the exact weight of the platinum used in these models? Perhaps someone who worked for Coleman might know. Current market prices for platinum, rhodium and palladium are I am sure substantially higher today than when these units were manufactured.

Also would like to know since the 5033 and 5038 models I have were bought used, and both only glow on one half of the diameter of the heater head, in an irregular pattern, with the rest of the heater head on these two remaining dark if this means the platinum has fallen out of the heater head so there is less platinum in it than when it was new; or if this means much of the heater head is not glowing orange in these used models because carbon or dirt has covered the surface of the head in these non-glowing (dark) areas and that perhaps the platinum catalyst is still fully present, just darked out due to fouling on the surface of the catalyst.

I am interested in your thoughts on this. With current thievery of catalytic converters from cars for the precious metals in them which is then sold to junkyards and refiners, perhaps there is some value to the precious metals in these propane heaters (and also the older liquid fuel Coleman catalytic heaters) which could make it worth it to buy old and broken models for their scrap precious metal value inside. Even more so as prices of platinum, etc, I think were possibly significantly less back when these heaters were made but have now escalated greatly in recent years, making value of precious metals in these old heaters significantly greater than when they were originally manufactured.

BTW, what approx years were the three models of heaters mentioned here manufactured? And what was the last year of production for the propane powered Coleman catalytic heaters?
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Re: What is the value of the platinum used in Coleman Propane and Liquid Fuel type catalytic heaters?

Post by campinut »

No values given here. It is valued by what the buyer will pay..campinut
Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Re: What is the value of the platinum used in Coleman Propane and Liquid Fuel type catalytic heaters?

Post by 74HARLEY »

As far as the value is concerned, nearly nothing. A micro thin plating at best. Not cost effective to try and recover.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

The value is crazy high, right up there catylitc converters
ICCC # 1402
Clemente

Post by Clemente »

Joe, I am pretty sure you are correct on this.

Still in all, with platinum at $1350/oz today and rough average value between 1980-2000 was about $500/oz (the time frame I am assuming these propane catalytic heaters that I have were made, just guessing on that) am interested to know how much platinum was in these heaters. With cost of platinum roughly 1/2 to 1/3 for platinum at time of manufacture of these units, the value of the platinum today would be 2 to 3 times higher in these old units today. Then again there is inflation, so not sure if its a wash with value then and now.

Todays value of a gram of platinum, a relatively tiny amount if you have ever held a brass gram weight in your hand, is $43/gram. I think that a gram might be the weight of 3 or 4 BB's in a BB gun. Not much at all. I understand micro platings can be remarkably thin, but for a heater head like the ones on my unit with diameter of about 7-8 inches who knows, maybe it took a gram to coat the surface or whatever they did, maybe impregnated the fiber (asbestos?) bed with the platinum.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I know it's against the rules, but I'll go out on a limb here and state what I feel the value is: $0.

How would you even separate it? Burning it certainly won't do it, and it's not like any platinum particles are even visible. Once you have the catalytic element out of the screen, and see the dust being created because it falls apart in your hands once outside of the screen, you'll most likely wish you hadn't thought of the idea. Although I don't know the internal makeup of a vehicle catalytic, it can't be the same because of the airflow requirements through the catalytic. Interesting idea, but I think a catalytic heater is a total no go.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

It is somewhere under $1,200.
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

The amount of platinum in the heaters would not make it worth it. The catalytic converter from a small car yields less than a gram. With the cost of all of the equipment, chemicals, supplies, gas for smelting it would just not be worth it. Unless you were already invested in recovering precious metals.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988