New Guy with a restoration technical question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
wadahakawichief

New Guy with a restoration technical question

Post by wadahakawichief »

ThanK You kindly for letting me into this forum.

I am restoring a 426D and will soon be restoring a 426B.

My question is - what works to stop the corrugated and flat burner rings from re-rusting ?

I used the electrolysis technique to de-rust the manifold and small parts and that worked great.

I'm considering taking advice from OldTownColeman and painting the manifold assembly and maybe the burner top and bottom plates with high temp silver, but painting the rings seems like it may mess up the quality of the flame.

I have some experience as a body and fender man years ago and can paint pretty evenly, but should I really paint those burner rings ?

As we say in my family, "At least I do know that I don't know".

Thanks for any advice.

Bryan
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: New Guy with a restoration technical question

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Not much. Plating is too expensive to be worth it. I thought they were brass anyway. Most methods would get burned up when you light it. Just don’t let it sit for three decades in a wet leaky basement and it’ll be fine.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

I wouldn't paint the rings. Even if they need to be de-rusted again in 10 or 15 years, it's not hard to do. If the stoves get used, the rings will be fine, in my opinion.
wadahakawichief

Very Nice. Thank You very much.

I should have asked the question kind of like you answered it.

If it gets used, will they be fine, and now I know the answer is yes.

Thank You again.

I'm restoring a 426D to the best of my ability to learn as much as I can, so when I restore my 426B it will be a real keeper that I hope to use for the rest of my time. ( It's from 1957, same as me. )

With your help, that's just what's going to happen.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Coating the burner rings with something might insulate the surface some and they might not function well as a flame arrestor. You might just spray inside the rings with WD-40 or similar to protect them some until the next use.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

You might try using Evaporust or some other rust conversion process (Molasses?) and only gently brush off when done. (very soft tooth brush?) That conversion layer is microscopically thin, so should not affect the burner flame.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Dice

Post by Dice »

I coat mine with olive oil, lard or whatever cooking oil I have handy, and fire it up. Gives a rust proof coating like seasoning cast iron skillets.
Shane
Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
The Coleman Blue's 243 Club  #169
2016, 43 Nights Tent Camping
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Welcome from Hawaii. I've got about a dozen stoves with those burner rings of varying vintages and I've never had an issue with rusted rings. Just use the stove and I think all will be well. 8-)
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

:cf_welcomejump: from not too far away...
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

Welcome to the CCF, Bryan!

The Band-a-Blu burners are stainless steel so once you get them cleaned up you should be good for many years. I wouldn't hesitate to paint the Bunsen and burner tubes, they look nice with a fresh coat of high-temp, but I personally wouldn't paint the burner parts themselves. After use, cleaning spills and boil-overs off of the burners will help keep them from getting all crudded up as time goes on as well.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
The Lamp Lighter

Post by The Lamp Lighter »

Hello
Welcome to the site from a fellow newbie !
My first project was a #426B Rebuild project.
You should give it a look.
#426B 3 Burner Camp Stove,Dumpster Surv ... d Project
As to the burners I didn't show detailed pictures of the process but I took them apart and cleaned them with a wire brush and steel wool.
Found lots of crud in the tubes.mostly spider nests,you know those white balls of bugs,dirt lots of dirt/sand.

My project turned into a retro fitting a marriage of 2 stoves.
The B case had rot holes so we purchased a D case.

Prior to final assembly during the paint N finish process, painted the manifold with regular silver paint,got some over spray on the burners figure it will eventually burn off.
Honestly.
Even with all the crud never had any trouble with the burners just cleaned them as part of the rebuild process. :shock:

These Stoves are after all made to perform in harsh conditions. :)

We like Bacon Grease With Baked Beans As A Preservative. :roll:
Kidding of course,never had issues with burners being rusted.WD 40 is a good suggestion it will help them stay clean if nothing else can't hurt . :)

If we can help you in any way just shout we still have some 426B parts if you need them.
Burners,Manifold,Rusty Case,Etc
Your welcome to anything you need free you just pay shipping costs. :P

Have Fun Tinkering Up Your Stove,Please Be Sure To Share The Process With Us. :mrgreen:

Keep Your Burners Glowing Red Hot !
The Lamp Lighter
AKA
Andy Man
BEFORE
AFTER QUICK WIRE BRUSHING.
AFTER CLEANING THE BURNER RINGS
"Things Done Best Are Done Twice" Poor Richard.
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Stainless steel = RIGHT ON!
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
wadahakawichief

Thank You All Very Much.

To Lamp Lighter - Thanks for the offer of parts. and I throw the offer back to you. I will restore a 426B after this and keep that one. If there's wear parts from the 426D that will transfer to the 426B, I will keep those parts. The remainder will be fair game for all for just the actual cost of shipping.

I figure I'll be using the 426B 12-15 days a year when van camping with my offspring and theirs.
Soon I'll need to figure how to get a year 1957 lantern so I have a matched set.
I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way here, but that will complete my collection.

I'm still quite new to all of this. The stove I'm monkeying with is a 426D from 1975 based on a stamping in the metal bottom. It was fouled by mice for more than 10 years when I got it. ( no carcasses, but there was still lots of evidence down in there so it was only $5 )

I scrubbed it with lots of cleaner and disinfectant, then used automotive polishing compound on a lot of the green case and wings, then de-rusted and painted with rust oleum high temp green where the paint came off from under the nest.
( on more than half of the inside back wall of the stove )
I got all three burners going, but never with the blue flame that everyone talks about.

I tried to pour out the old fuel, but there was none. I couldn't get one drop out of there.
The interior of the fuel tank looks very smooth and clean.
I removed those same white cotton balls out of the manifold tubes like you mentioned.
I still have more to do with the rest of the workings, then reassembly,
then as Jerry Reed so aptly put it, " Why didn't I just learn how to cook ? ".

Thank You for letting me be a part of this forum.
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

Useing the stove often and keeping them dry. If something spills burn until dry or burnt off. Clean and dry off as soon after as possible if you do not want to use heat.
RMW
tandm7

Post by tandm7 »

For sitting parts that are exposed I use a product called rust stopper by sta-bil. It protects for a long time but of course but s off with use so re-apply.
Birthday lanterns iso
10/38   4/44   12/77
2/94    5/97    11/99

Thanks,
MarkB