Old kero topic

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Old kero topic

Post by salukispeed »

I came across a better deal than normal 8.99 and Just put up 6 of gal of Klean Heat Kero substitute. Basically K1 water clear kero with less smell I painted 6 clean steel Crown CF gal cans blue for Kero ID and sealed them tightly. I figured better than storing in the plastic bottles. Would anyone care to guess the shelf life to be expected .. I only go thru 4 gal in a winter season but want reserve.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Old kero topic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Kero works forever in wickies. Couple years in gpa
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

I've 10 year old Klean-Heat in the original jug that is just fine. I keep that indoors.

I have found that Kero and similar stored in the plastic in a garage paint cabinet with wide seasonal temperature swings does strange things to the container, it seems to outgas or evaporate some and cause the container to implode some.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

With absolutely minimal air space in those cans, likely it'll last many years before losing energy or being of any concern.

I don't know how many years it takes sitting in a wickie where the kero is exposed to air due to it not being sealed, but kero will develop the most foul stench you could imagine. It's that point that you won't burn it or want anything to do with it. Get a drop on yourself and you'll be fighting to get it off. Much like the Avon cologne in a Coleman lantern bottle.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Warning! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

The stench of wild country!! cologne???
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>The stench of wild country!! cologne???

I don't know the name. It smelled OK in the bottle, but putting a drop on me, it reacted with my chemistry and developed an awful stench. Perfect stuff to ensure social distancing.
-Jim

Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I've been using 4+ year old kero, still in it's original plastic container, in an Aida lantern, a 237A lantern and Aida No.100 stove and still works fine. I do like the painted metal Coleman CF can, however. Been thinking about doing that, too. The rectangular cans store better along side my CF cans.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

It may not be the kerosene that causes the smell, as much as the fungus that grows in it. I knew this fungus grew in diesel fuel, and caused all sorts of trouble when we switched to JP8, since it loosened all the fungi in the fuel tanks and stopped up filter after filter with it. What surprised me was to find fungus growing in some of my diesel injector test equipment, in very expensive calibration fluid. In an absolutely stable temperature environment, with no light, and no other contaminants (school setting, no outside diesel contamination, calibration fluid only) the reservoir of one of my lab machines had a big rubbery glob of fungus in the reservoir. I think all kerosene stinks, and only run Kleen Heat in the inside lamps.

Fungus and water are why I have my little Du-Bro hand crank pump to remove kerosene from lamps as well as filling them. Run the kerosene through a filter funnel and if it's at all questionable add it to the mix that I burn in the 237.

I have some kerosene in the barn from 2012, and like Levi says, it works fine in wickies. I bet it'd be fine in GPA with a little Amish mix of CF to keep the black spot away.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
JLush

Post by JLush »

So here's a semi-related question: In my experience CF pretty much has an unlimited shelf life whether in a can or a GPA. Would adding CF to kero (aka Amish blend) help to preserve the kero?
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

...On the lookout for a 3/61...
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

JLush wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:13 am So here's a semi-related question: In my experience CF pretty much has an unlimited shelf life whether in a can or a GPA. Would adding CF to kero (aka Amish blend) help to preserve the kero?
An excellent question. I have no idea what it might do, but I know Amish mix will fix old kerosene that makes black spots on mantles. The density of the fuels are very close. This probably helps them mix easily.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I'd be reluctant to add any CF to kero for a wickie. I don't know what's in Sta-Bil, but wonder if that would help preserve kero. Maybe the Sta-Bil folks would know and would share the info.
-Jim

Guff
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Guff »

Below is a copy of Coleman lantern instructions for a 249 lantern dated 4/42. It says to not expose the kerosene fuel to the air or light.
So I suppose if you store it in an air tight opaque plastic container it should be ok. My personal storage preference would be a metal container.

Most clear kerosene in small quantities, 1 litre to 5 litres, is invariably sold here downunder in clear plastic containers, and only the 20 litres in metal drums. So maybe the clear containers should have a use by date on them, if exposure to light degrades the kerosene??.
img005 (2).jpg
Keith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveA
Colemanaholic

Post by SteveA »

I like the paint the empty camp fuel can blue idea!
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

as long as it is still clear and liquid my 237 laps it up. If it's really bad I dilute it some with fresh stuff. Always use a funnel filter too.
Dan
ICCC member #604
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I've added CF many times to 'old' kero to perk it up in GPA's. As mentioned above, never in a wickie however.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Masseyhouse

Post by Masseyhouse »

What to do with Old Kero????
Can always use it in your Lawn Mover...or Generator... or....
From Project Farm.

Very Informative Video
Deacon Jeff at Masseyhouse@yahoo.com
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I agree Jeff.

I was told years ago many of the "octane boosters" simply have a healthy dose of kero. I believe it. More BTU's anyway, per ounce.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”