SMP Mil-Spec Air Tube Plug

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Dremwolf

SMP Mil-Spec Air Tube Plug

Post by Dremwolf »

Tearing it down for rust removal and I noticed it does have the plug in one of the tubes. It also appears that it has a hole in it, so not fully blocked.

Does it help with performance, air/fuel mix by removing it? The other one lit right up and ran fine. Assuming the plug is still in place.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: SMP Mil-Spec Air Tube Plug

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Plug is for high altitudes. If it’s at a high altitude remove it. I can’t figure out how to get it out. I hear the lantern gets louder without it.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 pm Plug is for high altitudes. If it’s at a high altitude remove it. I can’t figure out how to get it out. I hear the lantern gets louder without it.
On mine it appears there is something like a spring clip keeping it in place. Would imagine I could hook it through the hole to pull it out? As long as it runs (once I get it back together) I am fine with leaving it in. Just that I have seen a few posts talking about removing it. Since I am in Florida high altitude is not an issue. :D
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Does it help with performance, air/fuel mix by removing it?"

Have you fired it up and see how well it works?
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I'm at nine feet above sea level and have an Armstrong with the plug removed. It is loud, and bright as a tiny star, or so reports #1 Son, who came home one night when I had it hanging on the porch.

The plug in mine was a simple cup that was a press fit into the tube. I knocked it sideways in the tube and could then grab it with a needle nose pliers.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

If you are going to use RUG as the fuel, removing the plug might help with the combustion.
RUG is a somewhat 'heavier' fuel than Camp or Coleman Fuel. It needs slightly more air in the mix to burn completely.
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

It is press fit into the intake tube. You can pick it out with a sharp instrument.

This may be used to open up a clean air tube, if the other one becomes blocked by an obstruction in the field (that can't be easily removed).
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

zoomkat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:16 am
Have you fired it up and see how well it works?
Of the two this one had the most rust issues, pump cup dried out and the check valve was sticking so I decided just to tear it down instead of trying to light it.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

MYN927 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am If you are going to use RUG as the fuel, removing the plug might help with the combustion.
RUG is a somewhat 'heavier' fuel than Camp or Coleman Fuel. It needs slightly more air in the mix to burn completely.
No plans on running RUG in it unless an emergency situation.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

Same here as far as RUG. I do sometimes get above 7,000 Ft. and think that that is the point to remove the plug. I am usually at sea level oto 3,500 and run with the plug. The lantern that I got with out the plug I replugged it. They run good when diled in and are fun making good light. They will run almost all night if need be.
RMW
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

macwacs wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:42 pm They run good when diled in and are fun making good light. They will run almost all night if need be.
RMW
I was pretty impressed with the light compared to my 275. One night I'll have to do a side by side comparison for light output and run time.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Removing the plug can help performance when the orifice enlarges from normal use as well.

Since a larger orifice gives you more fuel, more air is required to even out the burn. So, you can extend the life of the gen and orifice.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

Chucker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 pm Removing the plug can help performance when the orifice enlarges from normal use as well.

Since a larger orifice gives you more fuel, more air is required to even out the burn. So, you can extend the life of the gen and orifice.
Any idea as to the useful life of the generator?

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Yes, a member found paper on that a few years ago and as I recall it was 700-800 hours using Naphtha.

This would include cleaning the orifice occasionally of course.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

Chucker wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:03 am Yes, a member found paper on that a few years ago and as I recall it was 700-800 hours using Naphtha.

This would include cleaning the orifice occasionally of course.
Thanks! By the looks of them they have been rarely run plus there were two new generators in the box. I'm good for quite some time. :D

Mil-Spec Ops #1988