Green 200 a question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
johneliot

Green 200 a question

Post by johneliot »

I just pick up a green 200a with a a clamshell case today. I changed the cap gasket, cleaned it up and went to light it and it only passes air. Took the frame off, no gas from the tip. Took the generator off, no gas from the base. Pulled the valve, took the stem off, cleaned the rod, stretched the spring a little, made sure the air tube was clear and everything seems to be fine. Put it back together and I get a little dribble of fuel but no stream. Pulled it apart again and everything seem to be clear. Where else could there be a blockage of the flow of fuel?

John

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein

Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Green 200 a question

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Get a different genny. Make sure valve is completely clean.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Getting a little dribble of fuel out of the valve? Or out of the generator tip? Keep spinning the cleaning lever often as well.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

>> Took the generator off, no gas from the base.

Symptoms sound like very low fuel or a restricted fuel pickup orifice at the bottom of the FA tube.

With a (mostly) full and pumped up fount do you get fuel if you open the valve wheel all the way?

When you had the valve out did you clean/ream the pickup orifice on the bottom of the FA tube with a toothpick? The slightest bit of fuel varnish can stop up the fuel flow.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
arizonacamper
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Have enough pressure?
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel And Automotive.
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Fount pressure, is it pumping up, how is the filler cap gasket? Did you do a dunk test?
ICCC # 1402
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"stretched the spring a little"

Probably not needed. Did you correctly reinstall the spring?
johneliot

Post by johneliot »

I’ll work on it again tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments. Couple of things, replaced the cap gasket. New tube in the generator, tip is clear the wire is intact, no leaks, orifice has been cleaned with a toothpick, carb cleaner sprayed in all ends and comes out of all, sprayed carb cleaner in valve and all have cleaner coming out. Tomorrow I’ll fill the fount all the way, I think I had it under half and I’ll pump it up more than the 30 strokes I usually do with my red 200a.

John

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

How long are you waiting for the fuel to make it to the generator tip? As you likely know, it can take a while for fuel to make it through the generator if it was empty and just filled. Also, try having the fount at least half full when checking it out. Not that you need to have that much fuel all the time to use it, but just while checking things out.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
Kansas_John
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kansas_John »

Check the CV. You might be losing pressure from there.

I pump pressure into the fount, closed the stem, pull the pump and fill it with fuel or denatured alcohol. If you get bubbles, you got a problem.
John M. Lawrence, KS
ICCC #1431

Looking for any oddball moderns and an REI single burner anniversary stove.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Tomorrow I’ll fill the fount all the way,"

That may have been your issue from the start. Try filling the tank full up and then try another startup. If the tank is less than full, then you may need to manually prime the fuel supply line with fuel before doing a fuel valve 1/4 turn open start. The initial static fuel level in the fuel pickup tube is important for a good 1/4 turn open start.
johneliot

Post by johneliot »

Well, Here's where I am at:
GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
I got it to burn but I had to turn the fuel knob more that a quarter turn which made the lantern flood/flame some. It finally settled down and I will burn most of the tank and then see if it lights any differently. That's his older brother my dad's red. It's a '72, the green is 11/80 and the clamshell it came in is an 12/80.
I think the red is clocked 180* off. Am I right in thinking the knob is supposed to go over the sticker? In any event it burns fine so I don't figure to mess with it. Thanks for all the help. I'm still not exactly sure what was/is wrong with it, but it burns!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

― Albert Einstein

Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

“I think the red is clocked 180* off. Am I right in thinking the knob is supposed to go over the sticker? In any event it burns fine so I don't figure to mess with it.”
Yes it is clocked wrong if it is a US 200A
ICCC # 1402
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

I have a Gold Bond 200A in a similar situation. Was is not turned enough .... or 1/2 turn "too far"? Since it is a great burner ..... I can live with it. I'm not going to risk a spun bung on this one!
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16