Coleman 508 stove and 500 stove start up

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Thatcountryboy

Coleman 508 stove and 500 stove start up

Post by Thatcountryboy »

I have these 2 stoves and everytime I start these they usually start off with a tall wacky yellow flame for about 3 minutes and then they turn into the nice blue flame after that. I'm wondering if I'm starting these wrong with not enough pressure. Or do they tend to start like that? Is there a quicker way to get to the proper burning blue flame? They cook food awesome when "going"
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman 508 stove and 500 stove start up

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Propane torch to preheat the genny
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"if I'm starting these wrong with not enough pressure."

You might post your current starting method for evaluation. Sounds like a flooding condition.
Thatcountryboy

Post by Thatcountryboy »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 pm "if I'm starting these wrong with not enough pressure."

You might post your current starting method for evaluation. Sounds like a flooding condition.
I pump 20 times, I have the lever towards light, turn fuel knob until I hear hissing, light it and open up fuel knob slowly until wide open then turn lever towards burn and add pressure sometimes on the 500a I do get flooding from where the generator comes out from the burner assembly when that happens I back down on fuel amount
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

With the 508, pump it up 20 or 30 pumps depending on how much fuel you have in it. Light it on high. When it lights, then pump it up another 30 pumps or so. It will settle down to a nice blue flame, but it takes a few minutes. The generator needs to get good and hot.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Are you turning the 500 lever to "light" and leaving in there for 30 seconds?? The 500 should not do yellow flames.

The 508 design is easier to flood and you need to follow the directions (usually on the stove) to the letter. LOTS of pressure, have a flame source at the burner the moment you open valve, and pump LOTS more once lit. Anything nearing freezing that 508 should have the genny preheated with something. I was sure mine had something wrong with it, till I followed the direction TO THE LETTER.
Keith
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

If your stove is the 508-700 here are the lighting instructions. Hope this helps.

Per the 508 User Manual; TO PUMP - 1. Make sure the RED FUEL LEVER is in the OFF position. 2. Open PUMP KNOB one turn. 3.With thumb over hole in PUMP KNOB pump approximately 25 full strokes. 4. Close PUMP KNOB firmly.

TO LIGHT - 1. Place stove on a smooth LEVEL surface. 2. Move BLACLK FLAME ADJUSTMENT LEVER to the LIGHT/HI position. 3. First hold lighted match at burner and THEN turn RED FUEL LEVER to on. 4. As soon as burner lights, open PUMP KNOB one turn and pump for ONE FULL MINUTE (60 pumps). Close PUMP KNOB. CAUTION: If fuel or flames appear below burner, immediately turn RED LEVER "OFF". Allow stove to cool. Turn stove upside down to empty any fuel that accumulated in the burner. Wipe dry. Carefully review instructions before relighting stove.
5. Adjust flame to desired heat with BLACK FLAME ADJUSTMENT LEVER. Additional pumping may be required for full heat output.

NOTE: IN TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING PREHEATING IS REQUIRED. Place generous amount of preheating paste on burner cap beneath the generator. Light the paste. After paste is almost consumed, follow the above lighting instructions.

Cheers
Joe
ICCC# 1893