Preheat Cup Wick Material

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Preheat Cup Wick Material

Post by Phredd »

I got 237 a while back that had some asbestos material in the preheat cup. I got rid of it and looked around to find a replacement. I tried some fiberglass sheet that I rolled into a tube, but was never satisfied since it did not stay in place very well. So i looked around and found some 5/16"stove gasket from MidWest Hearth. I bought the 'armored' version which has a very thin SS mesh around it (keeps it all well intact after you cut it). So I cut a piece just a little bit longer than needed and pushed it in. It's a snug fit and would not fall out when I turned the cup upside down. And more importantly, it works great. Here's a couple photos. The last one shows the preheat cup after I got the lantern lit (the black blob is my thumb blocking out the mantle).

Preheat cup wick 03.jpg

Preheat cup wick 02.jpg
Preheat cup wick 01.jpg
Preheat cup wick 04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Preheat Cup Wick Material

Post by outlawmws »

Nice fix Phredd!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I like your replacement preheat cup wick. It looks really good.

Had I known you were tossing the asbestos, I would have requested it.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Yeah buddy! I recently picked up some stove gasket material and the high temp paste to hold it in the cups.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

That's a very clean installation.

Other than replicating the material that was in the cup originally, what benefit does the wick material provide?

I do use a wick in kerosene fueled preheat cups like those on the 231, but I'm in such a temperate climate and low elevation that I need very little preheat on kerosene lamps or lanterns so I've never had a need for a wick on them. Curious to learn if I'm missing something.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
magikbus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by magikbus »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:50 am
Other than replicating the material that was in the cup originally, what benefit does the wick material provide?

I find the wick holds more preheat liquid (I use marine Ethyl alcohol) so it burns longer, it also keeps it in place if you happen to bump the lantern/stove while it's still burning etc. It also doesn't let the alcohol "boil off quickly" at the end of the burn, it just fades away gently like I hope to do some day.

I use the same wood stove door gasket material that I wrap with some bare copper wire so it will stay in place. I'm also cheap/frugal so I just walked into a wood stove/fireplace store and asked them if they had any scrap ends I could have. They asked why and I told them. Knowing that I wasn't going into the wood stove business in competition with them, they were glad to let me have my pick of the box of their "ends". After all if it's even an inch short of the circumference of the door when cut it's wasted.
Stan
I always take the road less traveled, now where the h3ll am I?
Vancouver Island Branch ccf #0
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Thanks for the lesson Stan. I may have to visit the local fireplace shop and give this a try.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon