425E stove has big flames when being used outside

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
timmy3131

425E stove has big flames when being used outside

Post by timmy3131 »

So I picked up a 425E Stove a couple years ago. It was in amazing condition and when I went to pick it up the gentleman showed me how it worked and it was flawless! So last year I took it ice fishing and it was a calm day with no wind. I hooked the fuel cell up and had the handle down so the stem couldn’t seat in the hole that it rests in. Well the gas was leaking and spraying and created a huge mess and giant flames. It ruined the pain and the instruction sticker. So I brought it home and hooked it back up with the handle in the up position and with the stem
Seated it worked as it should. A nice blue flame.
So today I take it ice fishing again. Pump Up the fuel cell, make sure the handle is up and light the burner. After about 30 seconds I flip the “lever”
To the down position and instead of the blue flame I get the giant flames again. it looks like it was coming out of the square block behind the burner that the fuel cell stem seats into. So I shut the knob off and wait for the flames to die down the try it again and the same thing happens! So I come home take it in my garage try it again. Works fine! Why is it that when I’m outside and it colder out that the blue flame is non existent and I get large orange flames that are a foot high? This time I will say that a 5-8 mph wind was coming in at my back while on the ice. So maybe that has something to with it. I’m just looking for answers. I now have a badly burned black stove that was practically new when I got it. Which is disappointing but I’d at least like it to work. Any help is greatly appreciated
Timothy H. Everson Jr.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 425E stove has big flames when being used outside

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Pphh. Keep lever up longer.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

While not ice fishing cold here. I've noticed the generator needs a longer "heat soak" time before is starts to settle down. If cold and windy that time extends.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

The tabs on the tank (not called a fuel cell here) hook in the slots on the stove case front, that way the generator tip is at the correct position in the bunsen.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
MarkWmDavis

Post by MarkWmDavis »

Next time: When you put the lever into the down position, (just fuel going through the generator) pull it right back up. Watch the flame. The stove will tell you if it's ready, (the generator is hot enough to vaporize all the fuel going though it).
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

MarkWmDavis wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm Next time: When you put the lever into the down position, (just fuel going through the generator) pull it right back up. Watch the flame. The stove will tell you if it's ready, (the generator is hot enough to vaporize all the fuel going though it).

Exactly this. Stoves need a long preheat, especially when it's cold out. The generators are thick steel, not thin brass, so it takes a long(er) time to get them up to temp. Yellow flames mean it wasn't up to temp when you flipped the lever. 30 seconds is definitely not long enough. I'd be more on the side of a minute before I hit the lever. It's a bit of a delicate balance between how far to open the valve and tank pressure when preheating, so that way you don't blow the flame out, which happens pretty easy when it's not hot yet. I should shoot a video on it, as I see this question frequently. :)
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

The Coleman Instructions say 1 minute, though (obviously) what the heck would they know? :) It does take a longer preheat when temperatures are cold, it won't hurt anything to pre-heat longer. There's a balance to be made between too much tank pressure and possible burner flameout during those critical first few seconds. Once everything settles down it's a beautiful thing, because that means life sustaining Coffee and Breakfast is sure to follow. Keep 'em burnin' Boys!
timmy3131

Post by timmy3131 »

Thank you everyone for the help! so let me add to my question, Can you have too much pressure in the tank? I was wondering if that might be why the flames were coming out of the bunson instead of the burner itself. This is a perfect example of what happens when people don't know the why's when it comes to operation. So I guess its time for a strip down and repaint and full restoration. Where can I get a new Instruction decal? Thanks again for the help!
Timothy H. Everson Jr.
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

timmy3131 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:34 pm Thank you everyone for the help! so let me add to my question, Can you have too much pressure in the tank?
Yes. If you have a lot of pressure in there, by the time you have the valve open enough to start spraying fuel, it'll come out forcefully and try to blow the flame out. I would give it 10 pumps and try. I then slowly pump...just enough to keep from blowing it out. I get the valve turned down enough that the flame stays attached to the burner and let it heat that way for a bit. I'll slowly add pressure to see how much it will take. If it starts to look like it's blowing out, I stop immediately, wait a bit for it to get attached back to the burner, and then try again. After about a minute or more of this, I flip the lever and see what happens. If I get yellow flames, it's not hot enough yet, and I flip the lever back down to keep from flooding. Eventually you'll flip the lever and the flames will get stronger and not yellow. Then you can let it have it with the pump.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Yes, you could have too much pressure, but methinks you would have to pump till your thumb is killing you.

My daily user I will fill it, give it 20-25 pumps, light it (with lever up) after 20-30 seconds give it another 10-20 pumps and turn lever down.
Keith
MarkWmDavis

Post by MarkWmDavis »

In a perfect world liquid fuel never reaches the manifold. Fuel entering the manifold is either evaporated fuel suspended in the air coming from the top of the fuel tank when the fuel lever is up, or heat vaporizer fuel coming from the fuel tank when the fuel lever is in the down position. To answer the question as to why you see fuel burning at the manifold and the bonson and not at the burner : it is because there is liquid fuel there, ie the manifold is flooded. As it burns that area of the manifold gets hot enough to vaporize fuel and eventually vaporized fuel will get to the burner and can be ignited.