200A - How to control rust on burner frame?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Mlkimmel92

200A - How to control rust on burner frame?

Post by Mlkimmel92 »

Good evening. I was fortunate enough to find my grandfather's April 1971 model 200A hanging in an open-air storage shed. He passed away in 1989 and the lantern had probably been hanging in the shed for at least 40 years, missing the globe and (gasp) the remnants of old fuel causing a heavy varnish-and-rust coating inside the fount.
IMG_20210213_125601084s.jpg
IMG_20210220_161737437s.jpg
With a whole lot of elbow grease and vinegar, and a proper bit of prepping, priming and painting (and a new globe), I was able to clean up this little feller inside and out and resurrect it from disuse and abandonment. A new decal is on the way...
IMG_20210222_194035840s.jpg
IMG_20210222_194545802s.jpg

Anyway, I was able to remove the rust from the burner frame with vinegar, time, and quite a bit of scrubbing. What is the best way to keep it from rusting again? I have some high-heat silver paint that I have used on prior projects, but was wondering if there was a better way to protect the metal. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That smell! That Coleman Fuel and bacon smell! I love the smell of outdoor camping in the morning. It's the smell of...VICTORY."
-Matt-
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 200A - How to control rust on burner frame?

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

I have used the high heat silver paint before but don’t like how they look finished so from now on I I apply a coat of 3-in-1 oil and clean the excess. This method doesn’t keep metal from rusting again but I like how the natural finish over any paint or clear coat but this is just a personal preference and you could use silver or clear paint for longer rust stopper
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

You might look at electroplating it with a protective metal coating. Youtube has a lot of DIY videos.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Nice work!

I spy a Jansport (D3?) backpack in that pic, those were the cadillac for carrying the loads back in the day.
bdickson

Post by bdickson »

First I had son-in-law take frames to work and sand blast. Then painted with VHT primer and silver paint. Followed heating instructions on the can and used my BBQ to provide heat as close to temp indicated as possible. I don't have a problem with how it looks and chances of having to redo down the road is reduced. If you are wanting a shelf queen never to be run or outdoors you might get it plated somewhere.
Sorry, but it's "Zed" not "Zee" for Z and a lot of "our" words end in "our" not "or" it's a Canadian thing. Eh!
bdickson

Post by bdickson »

Just want to add that when I painted the frame I took the time to tape off the air intake tube. This took way too long and was a bugger to get it all off later. Next time I am going to try painting this tube also. These were model Canadian 200's
Sorry, but it's "Zed" not "Zee" for Z and a lot of "our" words end in "our" not "or" it's a Canadian thing. Eh!
Mlkimmel92

Post by Mlkimmel92 »

Stovie wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 am Nice work!

I spy a Jansport (D3?) backpack in that pic, those were the cadillac for carrying the loads back in the day.
That is a D3, roughly 1974 vintage. My Scoutmaster had one, and I looked for one for years before I found that one. I still use it for "sherpa duty" when hiking with the kids.
"That smell! That Coleman Fuel and bacon smell! I love the smell of outdoor camping in the morning. It's the smell of...VICTORY."
-Matt-
Mlkimmel92

Post by Mlkimmel92 »

Thanks all. I plan to use this lantern regularly (as they are meant to be) so I think I'll try the 3-in-1 oil treatment on this one.
-Matt-
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I reckon you are living near the sea coast. Salty air can wreck havoc to any unprotected steel.
Any VHT silver or aluminum paint would do fine on the frame, provided well-applied and properly cured.
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

i have done the carpenter pencil method on a few so far and no rust. this is kind of a pain to do,hard on a 220 series and a bit harder on the 200/200a series due to the nooks and crannies but very satisfying when done. this is simply rubbing a sharpened pencil all over the rust and then using a regular pencil for the tight places. it will remove the rust,polish the metal and leave a protective coating behind. this will require some effort but it works good.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

brokenmantle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:38 pm i have done the carpenter pencil method on a few so far and no rust. this is kind of a pain to do,hard on a 220 series and a bit harder on the 200/200a series due to the nooks and crannies but very satisfying when done. this is simply rubbing a sharpened pencil all over the rust and then using a regular pencil for the tight places. it will remove the rust,polish the metal and leave a protective coating behind. this will require some effort but it works good.
Never ever heard of that. Looks like a lot of fun hahaha
~Pancho~

brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

it is but one has to be in the mood. i have a few that are waiting for the treatment, some 220cs and a few agm singles,oh and 2 milspecs i recently got but they are just a few spots on the bottom of those.
johneliot

Post by johneliot »

I tried what I think Warren suggested, heat the frame with a heat gun and the douse it with deep creep. It’s been over 6 months and the frame is still looking good.

John

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein

Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

johneliot wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:08 am I tried what I think Warren suggested, heat the frame with a heat gun and the douse it with deep creep. It’s been over 6 months and the frame is still looking good.
Deep Creep? Can you enlighten me please?
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
johneliot

Post by johneliot »

I don't think I paid this much. I found it local.

John

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein

Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

johneliot wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:08 am I tried what I think Warren suggested, heat the frame with a heat gun and the douse it with deep creep. It’s been over 6 months and the frame is still looking good.
Wonder if PB Blaster would be a suitable substitute?
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Similar to the old method of heating steel and quenching in used engine oil.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

MYN927 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 am Similar to the old method of heating steel and quenching in used engine oil.
I do that with other parts and love the black finish
~Pancho~

JLush

Post by JLush »

I've done something similar but use Gibbs Brand oil. It seems to work well. I bead blasted a 200 frame, wiped it down with lacquer thinner and a liberal dose of Gibbs and fired it up. Wiped off any excess after it cooled down. Still looks good. Granted I live in a fairly arid climate so your mileage may vary...

http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com

John
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

...On the lookout for a 3/61...
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Just an info, some might use phosphoric acid to give a gray phosphated finish. In my experience, phosphated finishes don't do very well if its heated like on the frame. It gets dehydrated and loose its rust protective properties that way.
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

ACF-50 is another really good product. The biggest problem is that the burner frame gets exposed to very high temps, which tend to burn everything off that keeps rust from forming.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure