Citronella in the fuel?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
basenjib123

Citronella in the fuel?

Post by basenjib123 »

Ok, was somebody pulling my leg when they told me to put Citronella Oil in with the fuel to drive mosquitos away?
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Citronella in the fuel?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Nope. I use citronella in my CF lanterns. 75/25 mix. You can run 100% citronella in kero lanterns.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 am Nope. I use citronella in my CF lanterns. 75/25 mix. You can run 100% citronella in kero lanterns.
Does it seem to drive the bugs away at all?
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

basenjib123 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 am
Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 am Nope. I use citronella in my CF lanterns. 75/25 mix. You can run 100% citronella in kero lanterns.
Well. I went to my grandmas house right off the white river for a night fishing trip. Brought to lanterns. One had citronella the other was refilled CF. CF one had like a half inch of dead bugs inside. The other had only a few. With bright lights, there’s always going to be bugs, but it’s reduced for sure. Works better than amber globe I say.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 am
Well. I went to my grandmas house right off the white river for a night fishing trip. Brought to lanterns. One had citronella the other was refilled CF. CF one had like a half inch of dead bugs inside. The other had only a few. With bright lights, there’s always going to be bugs, but it’s reduced for sure. Works better than amber globe I say.
Great info..thanks! so 25% seems to be the ticket then?
Last edited by basenjib123 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

basenjib123 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 am
Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 am
Great info..thanks!
Should add the citronella one wasn’t just citronella. Was the CF citronella mix
10/25, and 8/07

basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

75%/25% is the ticket then, right?
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Not to hijack this thread but can you smell the citronella when tuning the lantern?
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

basenjib123 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:30 am 75%/25% is the ticket then, right?
I’ve done 50/50, but Dang! She’s scary to light man. The citronella is similar to kero so some bigger flames for longer than straight CF. Works a bit better and the smell is stronger.
D421 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:34 am Not to hijack this thread but can you smell the citronella when tuning the lantern?
Tuning? I can smell it when burning the lantern.
10/25, and 8/07

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Ok, was somebody pulling my leg when they told me to put Citronella Oil in with the fuel to drive mosquitos away?"

They probably believed what they were saying, but there is probably a big difference in the end product between using citronella oil in a Coleman gas lantern and in the typical wick burning device. In the Coleman lantern the combustion is so hot and complete that citronella itself will not survive the combustion process to later have any effect on mosquitos.
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

:oops: Thanks Levi I meant burning.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

D421 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:10 am :oops: Thanks Levi I meant burning.
Haha. It’s real strong when starting I guess. In my experience.
10/25, and 8/07

Kay-Mo

Post by Kay-Mo »

On a website that featured vintage Coleman fuel cans, I saw a can that actually said "Citronella" on the label. So apparently there was a market for a fuel with citronella added, and Coleman sold it.

-Ken
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight!
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
-Oath of the Green Lantern
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

D421 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:34 am Not to hijack this thread but can you smell the citronella when tuning the lantern?
My answer is NO, I run straight citronella in my Hipólita and Boat Anchor lantern (Randy words lol) and I can’t smell it, but In my wick lanterns is very noticeable
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Kay-Mo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:13 am On a website that featured vintage Coleman fuel cans, I saw a can that actually said "Citronella" on the label. So apparently there was a market for a fuel with citronella added, and Coleman sold it.

-Ken
I have a quart can that is still almost full
ICCC # 1402
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Rubing wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Kay-Mo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:13 am On a website that featured vintage Coleman fuel cans, I saw a can that actually said "Citronella" on the label. So apparently there was a market for a fuel with citronella added, and Coleman sold it.

-Ken
I have a quart can that is still almost full
Pictures baby! Pictures!!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICCC # 1402
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Thank you! That is awesome and I think it puts the debate to rest!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D
basenjib123

Post by basenjib123 »

yeah but just because Coleman sold it ...doesn't mean it worked and IF it worked, how come they don't sell it anymore?
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

i tried 75/25 WG and Tiki bitefighter in my 285 it ran like ass. Maybe 220s cope better with lamp oil? also noticed bugs in my area aren't fazed someone mentioned that combustion is so complete that the citronella cannot do its job.
Steve
San Diego, CA
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Citronella

Post by Stovie »

basenjib123 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:31 amyeah but just because Coleman sold it ...doesn't mean it worked and IF it worked, how come they don't sell it anymore?

Anyone noticed that generators coke up or carbon faster using Citronella? Coleman was always insistent that only clean unleaded gasoline be used, no oils (or "doped") additives.
Broad is the path that leads to destruction.

Especially those red headed broads, they are a sure path to ruination.
sjsjr86s

Re: Citronella

Post by sjsjr86s »

Stovie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm
basenjib123 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:31 amyeah but just because Coleman sold it ...doesn't mean it worked and IF it worked, how come they don't sell it anymore?

Anyone noticed that generators coke up or carbon faster using Citronella? Coleman was always insistent that only clean unleaded gasoline be used, no oils (or "doped") additives.
mine seemed to recover as soon as i drained the fuel/oil mix and refilled with clean fuel. I can't comment on carbon as I have one of the "unopenable" 285 gens in there. maybe someone here will chime in w/wisdom or experience. I noticed the lamp oil was "fogging" especially in the fount.

ps I know that the 285 gens are serviceable but this one is new so I'm not gonna fiddle with it quite yet.
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I'm sure that Coleman or anyone else using citronella in camp fuel would not have added tiki torch fuel, but actual citronella oil in some quantity of drops, not ounces.

285 gens aren't "unopenable", just more difficult the very first time. If one re-uses that bushing, well, they get what they deserve. :)
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

JimL wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm I'm sure that Coleman or anyone else using citronella in camp fuel would not have added tiki torch fuel, but actual citronella oil in some quantity of drops, not ounces.

285 gens aren't "unopenable", just more difficult the very first time. If one re-uses that bushing, well, they get what they deserve. :)
I have done that before and lanterns work like champ
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

JimL wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm I'm sure that Coleman or anyone else using citronella in camp fuel would not have added tiki torch fuel, but actual citronella oil in some quantity of drops, not ounces.

I was looking around for pure citronella oil but can't seem to find anything but I was thinking that too, just a few drops in the fuel but others were saying running citronella lamp oil mixed with CF worked... maybe they used a different brand? oh well it looks like i'll just need to bring my oil lanterns along too... darn it :lol: I have found that the dimple in the 285 gen can be smoothed out (thanks to soft brass) allowing that bushing to act as a guide but the packing on that thing is a sheer mystery. I am still trying to get my head around "packing theory" but I like your idea of using brass wool, just need to order some. Last time I tried to use copper wire as a packing I destroyed my pricker needle while wrapping the wire around the rod. Flickering bugs (no pun intended) me too that's why i love gas lamps, I cannot stand color temp or high frequency flutter of LEDs or fluorescent tubes especially while camping. Some days I will bring my coleman lamp to the office and use it at my desk versus the harsh LED lamps in the ceiling. BTW to open that 285 gen I used those automotive push-pin removal pliers with the rod clamped in vice grips. worked brilliantly!
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I've never bought the pure citronella oil, but have seen it on ebay. I just looked at one seller and a 1 oz bottle was $6 with free shipping.

One thing I noticed long ago is that some of those citronella tiki torch fuels no longer even contain citronella oil, but have switched to lemongrass oil. For anyone planning to use a citronella tiki torch fuel, I suggest reading the ingredients list.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

JimL wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:20 pm I've never bought the pure citronella oil, but have seen it on ebay. I just looked at one seller and a 1 oz bottle was $6 with free shipping.

One thing I noticed long ago is that some of those citronella tiki torch fuels no longer even contain citronella oil, but have switched to lemongrass oil. For anyone planning to use a citronella tiki torch fuel, I suggest reading the ingredients list.
Yeah I shoulda looked but considering how parts are getting hard to find I think I'll stick to regular white gas and use the red hurrican (yes, silent E) lanterns for the bugs. They're nice too bc once we are sitting at the fire I can turn off the gas lantern and save fuel. those oil lamps can run for hours! and they provide enough light so I can see what I'm doing when relighting.
Steve
San Diego, CA