fuel leaking from top of generator

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Re: fuel leaking from top of generator

Post by outlawmws »

a lot is dependent on the mantles used. The older thorium base mantles were white. newer non-thoruim, Not so much. How's the overall brightness?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Optimus45

Post by Optimus45 »

The New Mantles burn yellow. That's why we hoard older Mantles when we find them.
Joe
Mil-Spec Ops #0219
If a man is alone in a forest and there isn't a women around to hear him, is he still wrong?
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I suspect Jenn means they're not burning bright. I find that the Coleman's will burn bright if everything else is right with the lantern.

I suggest a generator cleanout to start. If by chance fuel got onto the mantles and wet them, that can affect light output. I'm not certain about naphtha doing this, but gasoline most definitely will make them burn dim. And yes, I mean after they've dried.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Low output and pulsing can be due to low fuel flow, which is typically due to low tank pressure.
Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

While you had it all apart, did you check the vent tube for spider webs or other bug nests? This is the large diameter tube that goes from the base plate of the frame to the mixing chamber up top.

Also, and if you mentioned this previously I missed it, did you clean the generator while you had it out?

And, finally, did you ever check the pump cup for cracks? To do this, remove the have-circle clip that holds the pump onto the lantern and then pull the pump all the way out. Try bending the rubber (neoprene) pump cup and inspect it for small cracks.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

We changed the mantles and cleaned the screens - checked to make sure all pathways are free and clear - no spider webs or dirt dobbers - it was stored in it's case inside the house - put new mantles and they burn yellow/amber as well. It may be a little bit brighter but it still pulses.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

What specific mantels did you use? post a pic of the package.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

No pic of the package but they were Coleman mantles for this model.
TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Did you pump it up more after you lit it? If so, try cycling the fuel knob a few times to move the pricker in and out. Residue from the valve and fount may be partially blocking it (generator tip) already even though you had the generator apart to clean. This would be an easy first step to check.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Are they current stock mantles or older stock? (matters, especially if they were Silk-Lites)
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

I would say we bought them about 5 or more years ago and we have already tossed the packaging. Now after sitting a few days I noticed fuel has expanded and is running down the outside of the tank so I suppose we will have to get some of the tape for the threads and maybe that will stop the pulsing as well.
Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Is it running down the side of the tank when it is turned off or when it's running? If it's doing this when the lantern is off, then it could be a bad valve core. If it's happening when it's running then, if you can see it leaking from the threads, then the valve is likely not tight enough. I've had that happen to me. BTW - I've never used any tape on valve-to-fount threads.
Stovie-Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

It is running when it is turned off. How do I check the valve core?
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Where is it running from? The threads into the tank? Around the valve stem? Somewhere else?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

The valve core was in the plastic F/A tube attached to the bottom of the valve. You probably saw the gold colored pin of it sticking out of it when you removed it to re-insert the little plastic piece we discussed earlier. This valve core is removed or installed just like the ones used on bicycle tires. The only difference is that the valve cores used on lanterns and stoves are fuel rated.

290_Valve_Insert.JPG
290A_valve_and_core.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stovie-Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Schrader valve cores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

sorry it took so long to get back - real life struck again

I talked with my other half and he had done the same thing he did years ago that had the valve stuck open - when it ran low on fuel and pressure he let it burn out and never turned it off. I told him to dry off the tank close the valve and see if it leaks again. I am thinking with the Florida heat as the days get hot the fuel expands and goes up through the valve - we will see what happens.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Running a lantern out of fuel is not an issue. Coleman lanterns (other than early Petromax style lanterns) have a positive shutoff, so no fuel should be coming out when the lantern is shut off, even if pressure does build from the heat.
-Jim

Jenn52

Post by Jenn52 »

but that's the thing - it was not completely out of fuel but ran out of pressure and he never turned it off
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If the lantern ran out of pressure and still had fuel, but the valve was left in the open/on position, then yes, you will get fuel flowing when the fount heats up. This is to be expected. You can duplicate this with any lantern.
-Jim