Milspec help

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Milspec help

Post by zoomkat »

" The surface of the stem fitting look good but generator nut looks like one of the threads could be buggered but I'm not sure if that makes a difference as long as the fit between the nut and generator is tight. What do you guys think...?"

The typical pressure seal on a lantern generator is where the generator nut crushes the generator flair against the valve assembly top. Sealant on the but threads can't fix this. The generator flange might be a little cocked on the valve assembly top possibly causing a leak. I pull the generator up and jiggle it a little to help keep the generator flair from getting cocked while I snug the generator nut tight. If the generator flange leaks while the generator is snugged down and not lose, then there may be some type of blemish on the valve assembly top or in the generator flair surface. If I had a leak like this, I'd put a little sealant on the inside of the generator flair, then reassemble the generator on the valve assembly. The operating premise of this is that the pressure in the generator will push some sealant into the leak channel and seal it up.
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

You can inspect with a magnifying glass, the flare on the aluminum generator. Sometimes, they have cracks.
The nut threads do nothing to seal.
As long as you can tighten the nut properly, it should bring the flared mating surfaces tightly together:- between the generator flare and the fitting cone, creating a metal-to-metal seal.
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Anybody out there...still need some help.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
International POSSUM Brotherhood Chapter 11
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Anybody out there...still need some help."

With 50+ post, you may need to restate what your current issue is.