Stove went south again

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
425E

Stove went south again

Post by 425E »

my m1950 stove is broke again. I need to know how the eccentric stem tab (inside valve body) that controls the outside stove knob position when turned is oriented. Is the tab installed straight up at 90 degrees or to the left or right at 180 of left and right of 0 degrees, if you can help it would be very much appreciated. I do not have any way at present time to upload photos.
425E

Re: Stove went south again

Post by 425E »

My post has 25 views no help yet please respond whether you help or not I'm desperate. I would like to assemble my stove to have working this week end. Your help is very much appreciated.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"My post has 25 views no help yet please respond whether you help or not I'm desperate."

There is a FAQ section in the forum that has methods of posting pictures, which will be helpful in understanding your situation.
Brad C

Post by Brad C »

I have an m1950 stove. I could take pictures of it. I am sorry I really don't understand your question.
425E

Post by 425E »

The tab inside the valve body that controls the knob on the outside that determines whether is on light or on when turned to the left or off when knob is turned to the right. what I'm asking where is tab turned to when reinstalled in the stove up down left or right
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Unless I'm not understanding your issue, look at the eccentric itself. The cutout in the lower section of the eccentric needs to face the valve. You may have to fiddle a bit to ensure the part of the valve that engages the eccentric is lined up properly or it will be tight before it even engages and therefore won't work.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
425E

Post by 425E »

jiml what i was asking for help with is the eccentric stem that the knob itself fits on. that has the tab on the stem when installed is inside the stove valve body that is screwed inside the tank. I have make sure the eccentric block that has the cutout for the tab or slot is turned toward the knob. i just cannot get the knob set so that it turns full off or on I know its got to have something to do with tab on the eccentric stem but I tried everything I know of turning the tab to the left to the right or up the seems not freeze up either way. Its just stops at light position. regardless of how the tab is installed in the eccentric block. hope this helps someone understand my dilemma.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I just looked at one and the flat spot on the stem is facing the valve knob. Sounds like the little nipple on the valve stem isn't properly engaging the eccentric. See the pic below. The nipple on the valve, A, needs to engage the slot on the eccentric, B As Steve(?) stated in another thread, which I now cannot find, that eccentric is spring loaded so you will need to push down on it just a tad so you can screw the valve in and get the parts aligned. If you don't, the eccentric may move a little, giving the impression that it's engaged, but it won't be. I just demonstrated this for myself.

Ignore the fact that the valve on this is broken. :(
M-1950 eccentric.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jim

425E

Post by 425E »

Much appreciated JimL. That was exactly what i was talking about. The key words were to press down because of the spring loaded eccentric valve. The part about pressing down on the valve spring just did not occur to me because i guess i just got upset cause i couldn't fix the blipping thing and get it to work. Very Very much appreciate the help. Hope I can return the favor sometime.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Please follow up when resolved to confirm it's all better now.
-Jim

425E

Post by 425E »

will do when Its fire up and burning
425E

Post by 425E »

Brad c much appreciate your offer to help. Had not just Jim L clarified things for me and set me on the right track. I would have asked you for help. However I have every thing assembled correctly now and the stove has been completely reassembled. I have changed the cap gasket and the pip or dot in the NRV valve and now pressure testing the stove. Thanks again Brad C and Jim L
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If it appears you have a pressure leak with the new pip, make certain the pip is sitting in the fuel. I just realized this last week with an M-1942. It wouldn't hold pressure for long with just air in the fount, but works perfectly as long as the pip is in fuel. Regardless of whether it hold back air, holding back fuel is what's important.
-Jim

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Well? Where's the light-up pic? :) If you can't get a pic, let us know how it went.
-Jim

425E

Post by 425E »

I don't want to fire the stove up inside I may get beat up. But when I get the stove outside to do a burn test. It is very windy here today. May try the fire up Monday. I'll let everyone know know how the burn test goes.
425E

Post by 425E »

This is to Jim. I could not get the stove to hold pressure after what you said about putting fuel in the tank the stove held pressure without leaking air or fuel into the pump tube for over two hours. Your knowledge and expertise did the job. You have been a great help. Which is much appreciated and the other post as well.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Thank you, glad to help. We all learn from each other here, which is what makes this hobby so awesome.

You may want to add your first name in your profile or a signature so we can address you by that. I suspect your friends and family don't call you 425E. :)
-Jim

425E

Post by 425E »

Just call me 425E its perfectly ok with me. Every one has been great on here.
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

I was going to call you George Nicholls.
RMW