220K not pumping right

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Ericmday

220K not pumping right

Post by Ericmday »

Hello. Recently acquired a 1980 220K lantern. Seems to pump pressure well. However, when I try the quarter turn nothing comes out the mantles. When I turn the gas can open it hisses out quite loudly. I took it apart (pump and tubes inside glass) and it looks very clean, perhaps unused. What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to make it right?

Forgive me, I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I don’t know the terminology to do the right search.
REJ2
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: 220K not pumping right

Post by REJ2 »

Is the little brass cleaning lever on the opposite side of the fuel valve in the down position?
Bob    ICCC #1574
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
Perfection Heater Collectors # 7 --- Coleman Slant Saver #63
MilSpecOps Syndicate #016 --- Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0131 --- Coleman Blues 243 #86
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #047 --- Coleman Quick-Lite Crew #23 --- Gold Bond Collector #21
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

Yes
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Paul
REJ2
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

pagrey wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 pm This is a great starting point

https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... =6&t=18568
Informative and expertly written!
Bob    ICCC #1574
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
Perfection Heater Collectors # 7 --- Coleman Slant Saver #63
MilSpecOps Syndicate #016 --- Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0131 --- Coleman Blues 243 #86
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #047 --- Coleman Quick-Lite Crew #23 --- Gold Bond Collector #21
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"when I try the quarter turn nothing comes out the mantles."

If you fully open the fuel valve do you get any air or fuel coming out of the generator? Note that you need to start with a full tank and with the 1/4 turn open start it may take a little while for fuel to make its way thru the fuel lines if they are dry.
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

Full, fresh gas. I heard a faint hiss a couple times when opened more. Now nothing. The gas cap, though, when loosened, you can hear it coming out.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"The gas cap, though, when loosened, you can hear it coming out."

Try pumping it up until it gets hard, let it sit for half an hour, then try pumping up again. Is it still just as hard to pump as when you left it, or is it easy to start pumping again? Just checking if there is an external air leak.
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

Just as hard. Even tried it in the morning; still hard
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Ericmday wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:32 pm Just as hard. Even tried it in the morning; still hard
Take it all apart and clean the fuel/air tube
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

You need to spin the tip cleaner before you tear anything apart.. The tip of generator has a teenytiny hole that plugs A LOT, that is why Coleman provided you with a tip cleaner. And with tip plugged----you wont get any hiss or fuel. With valve open, spin tip cleaner and listen for hiss to come and go. Very very common for tip to plug if lantern hasn't been used in a while. And it may plug many times, spin the tip cleaner again!!
Keith
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Just as hard. Even tried it in the morning; still hard"

The symptom of the lantern passing air, then stopping, is interesting. If the lantern has a stuck fuel control rod, it should keep passing air until the tank is depressurized. You might pressurize the tank and fully open the fuel control valve to see if you eventually get fuel coming out of the generator. If a stuck fuel control rod is suspected, then I would fully open the fuel control valve and then start rapping the tank with a piece of wood to see if the rod might pop lose. The passing air and then it doesn't is not something I would expect unless the tank has depressurized while the fuel valve is open.
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

I wish I could post pics of what’s happening but it says the images are too big
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I wish I could post pics of what’s happening but it says the images are too big"

Go to the fAQ section of the forum and look at the various ways posted to resize and post pictures. If you are taking pictures with a cell phone, then often you can email the picture to yourself, selecting the smallest size option, which probably fit the forum requirements.
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

I took it apart and put it back together and spun the tip cleaner many times and now there is hissing and fuel smell. I don’t have mantles. Can I test without?
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Yes you can. Is a little different without mantles, if you have some way to heat the generator, like a little torch, that will make it easier/safer. Heat generator for 20 seconds or so, open valve all the way, see if it will light. If I recall, if you have it pumped too much it will kind of blow flame out.
And if hissing stops...spin tip cleaner. That is why it is there. If it plugs constantly, that is a good sign you need to do something with generator and/or flush font.
Keith
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

Thanks for your help. You guys are awesome!
Ericmday

Post by Ericmday »

So now it’s sputtering, flaming up and flaming out, cannot get a consistent glow. Should I trash the thing?
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

When first lighting, with valve 1/4 turn open, it should sputter and flame a bit for first 10? seconds or so, then the generator gets hot enough and it should start to clean up and run well.
Are you lighting it with valve open 1/4 turn and leaving it there?

You can also try heating generator with torch before you light it. If you have generator hot, you can skip the 1/4 turn thing and just go full open.
Giving it 30-40 pumps?
Keith
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"So now it’s sputtering, flaming up and flaming out, cannot get a consistent glow. Should I trash the thing?"

When it does that, turn the cleaning lever a couple of times and then open the fuel control valve fully. Also, make sure you have a *full* tank of fuel for the start.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

When lighting without mantles, use low pressure or the flame will likely blow away from the mantles and go out. When I test without mantles, I do so with a butane torch moving up and down the generator. Without a way for the generator to remain heated, your flame-ups and inconsistent burn are likely normal.

By trashing it, you will learn nothing and will likely abandon the hobby.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Jim has a good point, do you have mantles on it?? Don't expect any good long nice burn without mantle.
Keith