Why doesn’t my 252 generator flow?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Farmer Brown

Why doesn’t my 252 generator flow?

Post by Farmer Brown »

Hello! It’s been awhile since I’ve logged on. I have some milspec generators that do not flow. They have never been used and I made sure the tips were clean. Although I had one generator with its rope in it still that worked until it sat for a couple months. I must be over thinking this or it’s a handy trick to learn.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Why doesn’t my 252 generator flow?

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Without the generator installed are you getting fuel flow when you open the valve? If so, keep pricking the tip and give the generator a bit to fill with fuel and saturate the packing. I've had a couple that would plug the tip almost as fast as I could clean it.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

Start with a full tank, give it a dozen pumps with the generator off, open the valve and see if you get a flow that far. From there start adding one piece at a time establishing flow. Then when you add somthing and it stops flowing Bingo that is where the problem lies. Fix that and it is off to the races.
RMW
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Hi Farmer Brown.
I had some problems with a brand new MilSpec genny as well. :(
Finally got my lantern to work after a lot of tinkering. ;)
Perhaps you may find some hints in my postings.
https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... 27#p263124
Good luck, Erwin.
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I'm inclined to continue first on the same line as Chuck above.

Remove the gen tip, pump up the fount, place a catch cup under the gen opening and open the valve all the way, let it flow.

You would however, as pointed out above, first make sure there is fuel flow at the valve/eccentric without the gen installed.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Also agree with Chuck. Also make sure you have used a pricker on the fuel tip. Even though it looks clean, I have had to use a pricker on new ones to get the sealant off that they put on them for storage. If you don't have one for a 252, just use one from a 220 generator and go from the threaded end just like a 220 generator.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

Chucker wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:41 pm Remove the gen tip, pump up the fount, place a catch cup under the gen opening and open the valve all the way, let it flow.
This is what I did with mine. After that, I reinstalled the tip with the generator off to the side and ran that until it would spray fuel consistently. Been fine ever since. With a new gen, there may be some loose fibers that clog the tip.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure