Bored... Failed 220 kero experiment.

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Bored... Failed 220 kero experiment.

Post by Tgarner01 »

Thought I would share my failed attempt at converting a 220F into a Kero burner. I started off with this ratty ole 220 That had been sitting on the floor. I remembered it running fine the last time I fired it up so I immediately pulled the generator apart and started swapping parts.

Here's the generator guts on the right with donor 200 pieces on the left.

In the past I have used choke cable housing for generator guts on RUG burners. I thought it would work just fine here in a kero conversion.

Here we are all reassembled ready for a preheat.

An original 220 orfice is .008 the 200 orfice is .007. I was getting a very yellow with slight over burning mantles with this setup, so I decided I would try the pricker and orfice from a 201 generator which is smaller yet at .006. It was still dim, with a yellow color to it but no over burning now. Scratching my head I decided to put it all back to factory, with clean white gas to make sure I hadn't imagined this thing running good in the past. Sure enough, it run like it's supposed to.

With a .006 orfice on kero:

With a factory .008 orfice on Crown:

This was never anything I was going to keep, just more of an experiment and to have a little fun. Curious though as Coleman had burners very similar to this without air restrictors that run fine on kerosene... Thoughts?...

PS what a pain to install a generator in a 220 with a preheat cup and a burner cage! Ham hands!!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Bored... Failed 220 kero experiment.

Post by Ridge Runner »

I like the choke cable idea for the genny spring. Very resourceful!

Never converted one yet myself, but read a lot that the burners with the pancake-type mixing chamber seem to work well. Something about it possibly grabbed more heat being wider or larger in diameter than the style that’s in the F.

Run your next experiment on an J/K lantern!
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Ridge Runner wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm Run your next experiment on an J/K lantern!
Seconded. I did it on a J once and it took to it quite well.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Gavercronos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm
Ridge Runner wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm Run your next experiment on an J/K lantern!
Seconded. I did it on a J once and it took to it quite well.
I've read this in the past. What doesn't make sense to me is the fact that Coleman had a 129 lamp and a 152 lamp with very similar burners as the 220F I was working on that both would burn kerosene using T44K generators that used a .008 orfice... Head scratcher for sure 😁
ICCC #1939
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Maybe a different packing material with the .008 orifice...
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

I've only converted one 220, and it's an F. I did basically what you did, swapped the tip with a 200 and a coil in place of the packing. The coil was from a Coleman generator, but I don't know which one, I have a little bin of miscellaneous ones. It runs steady, nice and bright. Is that choke cable housing steel? Maybe it's not getting hot enough to fully vaporize the kerosene? Try a different coil material before you give up.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Did you have the valve wide open so no air would be drawn up through the F/A tube? If not, try preheating again with the valve wide open and the fuel cap loose so there is no pressure in the fount. When ready to light, tighten the fuel cap and start pumping.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:24 am I've only converted one 220, and it's an F. I did basically what you did, swapped the tip with a 200 and a coil in place of the packing. The coil was from a Coleman generator, but I don't know which one, I have a little bin of miscellaneous ones. It runs steady, nice and bright. Is that choke cable housing steel? Maybe it's not getting hot enough to fully vaporize the kerosene? Try a different coil material before you give up.
John it is steel and that thought had crossed my mind as well. While it was running I used a propane torch at the base of the generators for a good while with no noticable change in the way it run.
JimL wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 am Did you have the valve wide open so no air would be drawn up through the F/A tube? If not, try preheating again with the valve wide open and the fuel cap loose so there is no pressure in the fount. When ready to light, tighten the fuel cap and start pumping.
Yes Jim I run it exactly as you described. I find the soft start to be the best way to fire up a Kero Lantern.
ICCC #1939
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

The only other failure I recall of conversions is with the F/A tube. Some folks need to remove the rod and plug the hole at the top of the F/A tube. I did this with my 200A conversion, essentially making it a straight pickup. By doing do, a quarter turn is all that's needed for operation.

I'm not certain, but it seems to me that it's 220's that are more susceptible to needing this F/A tube mod. I've not converted a 220 myself so can't state for certain.
-Jim

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

JimL wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:56 am The only other failure I recall of conversions is with the F/A tube. Some folks need to remove the rod and plug the hole at the top of the F/A tube. I did this with my 200A conversion, essentially making it a straight pickup. By doing do, a quarter turn is all that's needed for operation.

I'm not certain, but it seems to me that it's 220's that are more susceptible to needing this F/A tube mod. I've not converted a 220 myself so can't state for certain.
I've heard this before also Jim. Also never made much sense either 😁. I go back to the 152 lamp... They are instant lighting, but can be preheated to run on kero as well. Valve all the way open of course. To me they appear to be the exact same setup as any 220B-F just on a lamp fount. Isn't experimenting fun? 😁
ICCC #1939
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>> Isn't experimenting fun?

Yes. I was thinking of starting a post for failed experiments. I've got lots and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. We can learn from each other, but in many cases, we have to fail for ourselves. :)
-Jim

mcdugal2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mcdugal2 »

I believe the 152 had an air restrictor that had to be installed to run on kero... Like the Leacock lamps have that restrictor that is screwed onto the bottom of the air tube for kero burning...
Phil Rhoades ICCC# 1125
The Coleman Blue's 243's. #035
"I'm a man, but I can Change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

mcdugal2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 am I believe the 152 had an air restrictor that had to be installed to run on kero... Like the Leacock lamps have that restrictor that is screwed onto the bottom of the air tube for kero burning...
Phil you could be right. I'm not personally familiar with the 152 myself, but do have a 159X that uses a restrictor for one and not the other.
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Here you go ham hands. The fix for fumbly fingers.
Lisle Carb tool.jpg
Break into your father's old carburetor tool drawer. He probably has one of these. (Look next to the ignition point files. ;) )
Lisle tool.jpg
Try a copper stranded coil. Heat transfer may be better. (But remember I'm nearly at sea level here, so everything I try works great.)
285 gen kero packing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I think it was Timm that had put a piece of heat shrink over the air hole to make a straight pick-up that's reversible if it's no longer needed.

I just open the valve all the way. Kerosene is way less exciting than CF when you have a leaking packing or something else unexpected.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 am Here you go ham hands. The fix for fumbly fingers.

Lisle Carb tool.jpg

Break into your father's old carburetor tool drawer. He probably has one of these. (Look next to the ignition point files. ;) )

Lisle tool.jpg

Try a copper stranded coil. Heat transfer may be better. (But remember I'm nearly at sea level here, so everything I try works great.)

285 gen kero packing.jpg
Great idea Chuck! I'll have to find ours.. I ended up using needle nose pliers as my fingers kept pushing the preheat cup up into the mantles... Aggravating to say the least needing 3 hands and eyeballs on two different objects at once 😁
ICCC #1939
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I did a 220K a few years ago, didn't mess with FA tube, was super easy and burns like a champ.
Keith