Old Style Filler Cap Issue

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Re: Old Style Filler Cap Issue

Post by burnt bacon »

zoomkat wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:17 pm "can't get the screw out of the disc on any of them..."

Not sure just how the tool previously pictured works, but something similar might be made from wood and two clamps to squeeze the cap and insert together to allow turning the screw. The below pictures are just a clearance test for using a small pair of round jawed vice grips ($1 from the DollarTree store) to clamp the cap and insert together. A little grinding on the vice grip teeth and small pieces of plumber's rubber for padding might get the cap and insert locked together. I'd use some 400 grit wet auto body sand paper with a flat wood block to make sure the tank filler neck surfaces are dressed smooth with no pits or rust on the edge.
TY for that insight...
Stovie at heart...
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Here's how the cap tool works
IMG_20210424_191701_537_compress20.jpg
The small Allen screws clamp the body of the cap to keep it from slipping. The big bolt provides clamping force from the bottom to keep the cap insert from slipping.
IMG_20210424_191802_323_compress44.jpg
The hole in the top provides access to the screw. Use a screwdriver that fits the screw head properly.

Put the whole tool in a vise clamp to hold it securely while removing the screw and the cap comes apart easily.
IMG_20210424_191900_689_compress31.jpg
IMG_20210424_191826_172_compress94.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Well the pics are a bit out of order and I can't seem to straighten it out. But you get the idea.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Rustytank wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:37 am Well the pics are a bit out of order and I can't seem to straighten it out. But you get the idea.
Thanks for the explanation and pictures, Rustytank...!
Stovie at heart...
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

" But you get the idea."

Yea, that is basically what I was thinking of making up from wood. With wood I would use a small piece of wood or similar inside the cap to push in against the insert instead of a bolt. Just thinking of a way to use wood and clamps/bolts instead of having to source and cut/drill metal.
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 am " But you get the idea."

Yea, that is basically what I was thinking of making up from wood. With wood I would use a small piece of wood or similar inside the cap to push in against the insert instead of a bolt. Just thinking of a way to use wood and clamps/bolts instead of having to source and cut/drill metal.
I'm sure it could be done.
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

JimL wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 am Folks, unless I'm reading it wrong, he can't remove the screw to remove the insert and change the gasket.

To the OP, get and try some penetrating oil if you can. Although anything's possible, I suggest keeping expectations very low for using WD-40 as a penetrating oil.
better

burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

A Seabee wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:00 am
JimL wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 am Folks, unless I'm reading it wrong, he can't remove the screw to remove the insert and change the gasket.

To the OP, get and try some penetrating oil if you can. Although anything's possible, I suggest keeping expectations very low for using WD-40 as a penetrating oil.
better

+1
Stovie at heart...
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

when burning out the old gasket it is much easier if you apply heat to the back of the insert instead of directly on the rubber. The gasket often will come out in one piece.
Dan
ICCC member #604
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I just burn the crap out of it, then dump the still-hot insert into a tub of water:

The gasket usually comes right out. No scraping needed.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Dmacp wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:46 pm when burning out the old gasket it is much easier if you apply heat to the back of the insert instead of directly on the rubber. The gasket often will come out in one piece.
Interesting...would like to try it... ;)
Stovie at heart...
Rhubarb
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: The Pie Plant

Post by Rhubarb »

old_style-bottle.png
My Old Style caps just twist off!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  Image- Andy
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm I just burn the crap out of it, then dump the still-hot insert into a tub of water:

The gasket usually comes right out. No scraping needed.
more than one way to skin a cat
Stovie at heart...
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Here are some photos of one i made based on GeorgiaBoy's tool. I made this with aluminum stock, a hacksaw, a file to clean up the edges, a drill press, some taps, and old bolts.

It works by putting the cap between the two plates with the screw oriented into the hole in the middle of the upper plate. The bolts are tightened down and clamp the cap so it won't move as you try to loose the screw. There is also a small piece of rubber that helps prevent paint damage.

If it does not turn easily - i take it out squirt a bit of PBBlaster into the cap let it sit for a couple hours and then try again. I have never had a screw that I could not remove with this tool.

And I add again my thanks to GeorgiaBoy for sharing how to make this GREAT tool.

Kevin

Filller Cap Tool 01.jpg
Filller Cap Tool 02.jpg
Filller Cap Tool 03.jpg
Filller Cap Tool 04.jpg
Filller Cap Tool 05.jpg

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Phredd wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:47 pm Here are some photos of one i made based on GeorgiaBoy's tool. I made this with aluminum stock, a hacksaw, a file to clean up the edges, a drill press, some taps, and old bolts.

It works by putting the cap between the two plates with the screw oriented into the hole in the middle of the upper plate. The bolts are tightened down and clamp the cap so it won't move as you try to loose the screw. There is also a small piece of rubber that helps prevent paint damage.

If it does not turn easily - i take it out squirt a bit of PBBlaster into the cap let it sit for a couple hours and then try again. I have never had a screw that I could not remove with this tool.

And I add again my thanks to GeorgiaBoy for sharing how to make this GREAT tool.

Kevin
That's fantastic
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Trimmed a piece of drawer liner for use with GeorgiaBoy's device...worked well.

Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

The other thing is working on the little screw without creating a burr or chipping the paint off of it. I have a few that look like they have never been disassembled. Wonder if they will still look that way after I'm done with them... :|
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Dmacp wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:46 pm when burning out the old gasket it is much easier if you apply heat to the back of the insert instead of directly on the rubber. The gasket often will come out in one piece.
I tried this, it worked great. The gasket didn't come out in one piece, but it wasn't hard to remove all of it.
Stovie at heart...
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

burnt bacon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm The other thing is working on the little screw without creating a burr or chipping the paint off of it. I have a few that look like they have never been disassembled. Wonder if they will still look that way after I'm done with them... :|
That is where a proper fitting screwdriver comes in, don't be afraid to get one that is a bit oversized and grind it to fit. But many of the interchangeable bit screwdriver sets have a flat bit that is about perfect.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Rustytank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 pm
burnt bacon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm The other thing is working on the little screw without creating a burr or chipping the paint off of it. I have a few that look like they have never been disassembled. Wonder if they will still look that way after I'm done with them... :|
That is where a proper fitting screwdriver comes in, don't be afraid to get one that is a bit oversized and grind it to fit. But many of the interchangeable bit screwdriver sets have a flat bit that is about perfect.
Got it, thanks...I'm using a decent gunsmithing screwdriver, but the end could be just a tad larger.
Stovie at heart...
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

burnt bacon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 pm
Rustytank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 pm
Got it, thanks...I'm using a decent gunsmithing screwdriver, but the end could be just a tad larger.
Go bigger and grind to fit
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Rustytank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 pm Go bigger and grind to fit
+1
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

You'd think one of these would work...but, noooooooooo... LOL

Stovie at heart...
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Rustytank wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:37 am Well the pics are a bit out of order and I can't seem to straighten it out. But you get the idea.
Putting that on the list to make one!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long