What Founts will easily fit a 228F Coleman Lantern

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Cajuncook1

What Founts will easily fit a 228F Coleman Lantern

Post by Cajuncook1 »

What founts will easily fit a Coleman 228F Lantern.
After cleaning the inside of the fount , I can not get air flow from the pump house chamber.

- the check valve was removed an it easily seals and allows air to be blown through.
- with the check valve removed, I can not get air to flow from the pump housing to the main fount chamber.

I got this lantern as a freebie, when I purchased a yellow clam shell case. It was inside and the seller said it was dirty and untested. It smelled of old fuel/varnish.

Inside of the fount was full of stuff. Rust, grime, and possible someone may have put PUR in the fount. The pick up tube was covered with that garbage as well.

I put carb cleaner and let is soak and I also added lead pellets to help with agitation but did not want scratch up the inside. You should have seen the garbage that came out. Slug and goo

Drained the fount and rinsed it out with water.

I added white distilled vinegar inside the fount with the lead pellets inside the fount. I shook my arms off. The garbage that still came out.

Repeated the vinegar soak and shake. I rinsed real well with water until clear.

I removed the lead pellets and rinsed really well with 91% Alcohol to get the water out and dry.

I also sprayed carb cleaner in the pump chamber, after I got the fount clean and removed the check valve. The garbage that came out there was unbelievable!!!

Sorry for the long tale!!!

What else can I do to clear the air tube leading away from the pump housing?
Or do I need to get another fount?

Out of interest, what founts are easily compatible with a Coleman 228F? 11/69

I might be on the hunt for another fount, if I can’t clear it.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Cajuncook1
Cheers,

Cajuncook1
:cf_beercheers:
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: What Founts will easily fit a 228F Coleman Lantern

Post by JimL »

For cleaning founts, I heat citric to boiling or almost boiling and fill the fount with it. I would not do this with vinegar unless you absolutely adore the smell of vinegar. I did this exactly once and the vinegar smell permeated everything. I suspect if you heated the vinegar like that, it would have worked its way through, but again, the smell (stench).

With either solution at least close to boiling, fill the fount as much as you can, leaving the valve in so you can tip the fount to get even more in, but you don't need the F/A tube installed. Grabbing the valve or fount with a potholder, tip the fount so the solution also goes into the snorkel. Note that it'll be a couple of hours before you can grab the fount with bare hands to shake everything up. I find that this works well for removing old sludge as well as removing rust in the fount. Admittedly, I've never encountered a blocked snorkel, but do feel that this would work to unblock it.

I have no suggestion for an alternate fount.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
bngreenchev

Post by bngreenchev »

My thought would be why not use an air compressor and a rubber tipped blow gun that's long enough to reach the CV seat in the bottom of the pump tube and dial the output of the compressor to say 10 or 15 Psi?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Clearing those pump air tubes can be a chore, but can normally be accomplished. To answer your question any 220/228 B-F fount will work also 236/237 founts. The cheapest founts you will find are E and F. I just give a couple away or I would've sent you one. My experience, you can find another 220E or 220F at a yard sale or pawn shop cheaper than having a free fount shipped to you...
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

OCP sells a tool to clear plugged snorkels.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1

Toby's comment holds true around here, too. You could pick up a fount at a yard sale, connected to the rest of the lantern, for $5 or less. Sometimes, it'll even have a globe. However, I think I have a couple in my parts pile that I could send you for the cost of shipping.
Stewart
Cajuncook1

Post by Cajuncook1 »

I’m stuck at work this weekend, but will try the boiling citric acid fill on Monday or Tuesday when I can locate some citric acid powder.

Cheers,
Cajun
Cheers,

Cajuncook1
Cajuncook1

Post by Cajuncook1 »

TwoCanoes wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm OCP sells a tool to clear plugged snorkels.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1

Toby's comment holds true around here, too. You could pick up a fount at a yard sale, connected to the rest of the lantern, for $5 or less. Sometimes, it'll even have a globe. However, I think I have a couple in my parts pile that I could send you for the cost of shipping.
Sent you a PM

Cajuncook1
Cheers,

Cajuncook1
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

You can also install the valve and apply compressed air to the fuel filler opening to try and blow the blockage out through the pump tube. Get more aggressive than 15 psi also, just pumping it up by hand gets you 30-35, new it would have been tested well over 100.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

You can typically find citric acid in the canning section of Walmart year-round, but at your supermarket likely only during canning season. If you can't find it, grab some packs of lemonade Kool-Aid. Virtually everything you get that's lemon flavored doesn't actually contain any trace of lemons, but citric acid instead.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Cajuncook1

Post by Cajuncook1 »

8-)
JimL wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm You can typically find citric acid in the canning section of Walmart year-round, but at your supermarket likely only during canning season. If you can't find it, grab some packs of lemonade Kool-Aid. Virtually everything you get that's lemon flavored doesn't actually contain any trace of lemons, but citric acid instead.

Cheers,

Cajuncook1
Cajuncook1

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Yeeeehaaa!!!! I got the pump cylinder air tube cleared with the OCP cylindrical tube tool and hot water!!! :D :D :D :D . It was full of nasty $^@!

Now to finish cleaning and see if it will be a sound fount. If not TwoCanoes was nice enough to send me a back up!!!! He donated to the cause and his generosity is very much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Cajuncook1
Cheers,

Cajuncook1