500 speed master tear down question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

500 speed master tear down question

Post by paulbarrette »

I am cleaning up a 500 speedmaster. I followed murfs (awesome) how to on the tear down, I am wondering about the picker spinner. It is seized in the up position and I didn't want to break the handle. Usually we leave that alone on lanterns, so thought I would ask what the best way to unseize that picker?

Imageimage sharing sites

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 500 speed master tear down question

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Blast where the packing is with a torch.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Taco912

Post by Taco912 »

I had to remove the lever and packing on a 500 in order to repair/solder a broken fuel line. Removal destroyed the packing in my case. So if heat and a penetrate work all the better. The good news was at the time OCP had a replacement lever/nut/packing that worked excellent.
Coleman 243 Blues  #812
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:50 pm Blast where the packing is with a torch.
I will try that.

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Taco912 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:50 pm I had to remove the lever and packing on a 500 in order to repair/solder a broken fuel line. Removal destroyed the packing in my case. So if heat and a penetrate work all the better. The good news was at the time OCP had a replacement lever/nut/packing that worked excellent.
Thanks for the info. I will try to heat and penetrating oil before I take the next step. I will look at ocp to see if there are parts just in case.

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

I just did one. I removed the nut and slid it out then just put a single drop of penetrating fluid where the rod enters. Let it sit for a minute and with very gentle pressure it broke free. Then just tighten the nut back down. I wouldn't use heat, the backside is soldered where the tube enters and you will melt it in two seconds.
Paul
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

pagrey wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:51 pm I wouldn't use heat, the backside is soldered where the tube enters and you will melt it in two seconds.
Ditto, you are asking for trouble if you torch it.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I would use a torch,( I did on one yesterday) they are often stuck and loosen right up with a little heat. Just don't over do it.

That is not the pricker, that is for the f/a tube
Keith
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Just don't over do it is a good way to put it, blast it is not.
Paul
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

A torch is a tool, you just have to know how to use it, and how not to use it.
Keith
Taco912

Post by Taco912 »

A wet rag around the fuel tube joint @ the valve should prevent any solder issues for the few seconds the valve nut needs to be heated.
Coleman 243 Blues  #812
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Majicwrench wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 am A torch is a tool, you just have to know how to use it, and how not to use it.
You have to know the 500 has a solder joint there, it has nothing to do with the torch. Blasting a fitting on some lanterns is fine, on this it ain't.
Paul
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

pagrey wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:51 pm I just did one. I removed the nut and slid it out then just put a single drop of penetrating fluid where the rod enters. Let it sit for a minute and with very gentle pressure it broke free. Then just tighten the nut back down. I wouldn't use heat, the backside is soldered where the tube enters and you will melt it in two seconds.
Hi Paul,
I will try that. I haven't touched it yet. Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Majicwrench wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 pm I would use a torch,( I did on one yesterday) they are often stuck and loosen right up with a little heat. Just don't over do it.

That is not the pricker, that is for the f/a tube
Yes, that is correct. It looked like the picker stem but connects to the fa. I will try the heat next.

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Let us know how it works out Paul. Lots of good advice here but different opinions on just about everything.🙂
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Ok thanks for the advice. So far....I unscrewed the nut and can set there graphite is ok.
I put in penetrating oil and left it over night. This morning I checked, and it is still stuck. I put more it this morning. I think the oil is not going to cut it. Maybe boiling in citric? The stove works like it is now, the risk is ruining the valve, which is probably hard to replace.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Just one man's opinion here, and it's just that... I've heated a lot of packings to free them up and I've resoldered several bungs and the heat needed to free that lighting lever is not nearly as much as it will take to reflow the solder in the fount bung. In fact I normally just use a small butane torch for heating my packings to get them to release.... If for some reason you're still worried remove the assembly from the fount and give it all the heat you want 😁 clean the F/A tube while you're there.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:37 pm Just one man's opinion here, and it's just that... I've heated a lot of packings to free them up and I've resoldered several bungs and the heat needed to free that lighting lever is not nearly as much as it will take to reflow the solder in the fount bung. In fact I normally just use a small butane torch for heating my packings to get them to release.... If for some reason you're still worried remove the assembly from the fount and give it all the heat you want 😁 clean the F/A tube while you're there.
Hey toby,
I removed the valve from the fount to clean up the fa tube. Maybe I am confused here but from above, it looks like there is a solder joint somewhere, but if it is the bung, that is not a problem because I removed the valve. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

paulbarrette wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:47 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:37 pm Just one man's opinion here, and it's just that... I've heated a lot of packings to free them up and I've resoldered several bungs and the heat needed to free that lighting lever is not nearly as much as it will take to reflow the solder in the fount bung. In fact I normally just use a small butane torch for heating my packings to get them to release.... If for some reason you're still worried remove the assembly from the fount and give it all the heat you want 😁 clean the F/A tube while you're there.
Hey toby,
I removed the valve from the fount to clean up the fa tube. Maybe I am confused here but from above, it looks like there is a solder joint somewhere, but if it is the bung, that is not a problem because I removed the valve. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Pb
I was assuming you were trying to heat the assembly in the fount and that was the worry of loosening the solder on the fount bung, now I'm realizing the worry is on the fuel line solder joint? If I remember correctly this is hard soldered and would be less of a worry, but I could be wrong... Normally am as is apparent above 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Thanks for all the great advice all! I decided to wrap the back end with wet cloth as @taco912 suggested.
I touched it with the torch for a few seconds. That loosened it up right away.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Taco912

Post by Taco912 »

paulbarrette wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:59 pm Thanks for all the great advice all! I decided to wrap the back end with wet cloth as @taco912 suggested.
I touched it with the torch for a few seconds. That loosened it up right away.

Pb
Glad that worked, love the smell of success first thing in the morning.
Coleman 243 Blues  #812
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Taco912 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:02 pm
Glad that worked, love the smell of success first thing in the morning.
Yes, smells like victory. (apocalypse now quote)

Thanks again everyone
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085