valve assemby

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
425E

valve assemby

Post by 425E »

What type of sealer do you use or recommend on the valve that screws into the tank on the M1950 stove.
TunkTop

Re: valve assemby

Post by TunkTop »

Yup, I’d like to know that as well.
E.B. Leland
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

For all valves threaded into the fount, I use a drop of Permatex blue thread locker. It'll seal and hold the valve in place, but won't be too tight to remove. Some have used the red thread locker that requires heat to remove, but no one will say how much heat and I visualize needing a cutting torch to heat it up enough. :)

Just don't use the yellow gas rated teflon tape. It will do the job, but is so slick, you can easily over tighten a valve without realizing it, and will then need thread locker because the threads have gotten damaged. Not that it will happen, but it will be easy to happen.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"What type of sealer do you use or recommend on the valve that screws into the tank on the M1950 stove.

I'd use a standard pipe sealant or dope. Years of previous discussions on the forum as to what people like to use and why.
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I also use the blue Permatex. It works well. I have recently tried the new orange Permatex. They advertise it as removable and 3x stronger. I have tried it on a couple founts. But - it seems to dry very quickly and is harder to 'readjust' if you don't getting the clocking position just right. Here is a guide to Permatex threadlockers.

https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/upl ... -Chart.pdf
PX-0716-2019-Threadlocker-Selector-Chart v2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
425E

Post by 425E »

I was very doubtful about the blue Permatex. But knowing it has been used already, I'll give it a try. To all your help was very much appreciated. Happy Easter every one hope you enjoy with you and your families.
mcdugal2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mcdugal2 »

I recommend the gel type as it stays in place and doesn't run...
Phil Rhoades ICCC# 1125
The Coleman Blue's 243's. #035
"I'm a man, but I can Change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green