Questions about paints and paint recomendations

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Cougarmik

Questions about paints and paint recomendations

Post by Cougarmik »

I'm preparing to paint a 421 stove, and a 200A lantern, and have a couple questions about the paint. Does the paint need to be specifically heat resistant for more than the lantern vent, and are there any recommendations for brands and types of paints? From what I've seen I should go with enamel paints, but I'm not sure if there are other important things to look out for
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Questions about paints and paint recomendations

Post by arizonacamper »

If you paint the frame on the 200 you will want a very high temperature paint to withstand the heat. preferably something 2000 plus degrees of heat resistance. I would use a vht engine paint that's literally the brand name. as far as painting the fount nothing special needed as far as heat resistant. I would recommend a clear coat though makes it pretty and shiny as well as resistant to gas-fuel whatever you want to call it removing the paint if you spill it while filling the fount.
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

The vent doesn't get painted, it's porcelain. Paint won't stand up. I have used vht on the stove burner parts once and the paint quickly burned off the burner bowls. I did try silver vht on a lantern burner cge and it worked well but just didn't look right to me. It was a runner so I was willing to try it.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I use mostly Rustoleum paints.

The Rusto High Heat line of 2,000*F paints will even hold up fairly well on a stove grate. You do have to follow the instructions for heat-curing it to get the best performance from it.

For founts, stove cases and stove tanks, I use the regular Rustoleum. They make several colors that are very good matches for Coleman original colors. I always add a top-coat of Rusto Clear Engine enamel for extra protection, shine and fuel resistance. Again, heat cure makes for a better job, even on the regular paints.

Fount color on a 200A depends on the year. Coleman appears to have tried to match the vent colors, which varied a bit over the years. For the bog-standard red 200A, Rusto Safety Red is a great match.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
florida_grown
Colemanaholic

Post by florida_grown »

I've done a 200a frame and 414 burner caps in 2000° VHT in all 3 stages of after paint bake in to no avail.
I'd rather just either maintain or send out for ceramacoat/coatex/etc.. than waste my time again in hopes of longevity. Murffs Chromex company he deals with appears to be fairing well. Prices seemed fair and appropriate. But even on a 200a , 414 suitcase and now I think of it, a clx...the CLX has held the VHT the best of the 3 in the exact VHT line, color, and prep.
And the clx gets used the most here out of the 3
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Here's the topside of my 500A after many hours of use, including getting the grate red-hot several times:

Paint is Rusto High Temp 2000F. It's holding up everywhere except the center of the grate, which gets a bit warmer (red hot) than any lantern part should.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.