275A Inside Fount Coating ???

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Woodsman

275A Inside Fount Coating ???

Post by Woodsman »

I’ve been going through a 275A I acquired, in over all very good condition, but when I looked into the fount I noticed what appeared to be a coating of loose, peeling brownish paint. It was peeling / bubbled from the bottom in one section and after putting in several BB’s and a cup of denatured alcohol it seems to be slowly coming up, leaving a nice clean finish behind. I’m letting it soak overnight but am perplexed as to what this substance is. It is oddly very similar in color to the exterior fount color (terd brown) and definitely not rust. Fount had old CF in it, about 1/4 full when I acquired it. Anyone know what I’m dealing with here? Doesn’t seem like varnish I’ve ever seen before. Were founts ever coated with anything during production?
- Johnny
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 275A Inside Fount Coating ???

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

In the 70s they started coating founts with stuff to prevent rust. About all it’s done is peel and become a big pain.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
forbeshollister62

Post by forbeshollister62 »

Founts of that era where coated with rust proofing. I found out the hard way that rinsing one out with DNA causes it to come loose.
Tom
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

forbeshollister62 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 am Founts of that era where coated with rust proofing. I found out the hard way that rinsing one out with DNA causes it to come loose.
Era? They still coat them.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

That makes sense. It was peeling pretty bad inside so I figured I’d try to get it cleaned out but hadn’t yet seen this peeling situation. It surely will clog the FA tube in short order as is.....
- Johnny
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Someone put pump gas in there. The brown coating they used back then does not like pump gas. I had a 220 that did the same thing. Even after a good cleaning, it kept flaking little specs that were clogging the fuel pick up. I ended up coating it with POR 15 to seal it back up.

The newer pink coating is designed to hold up to pump gas. That is what they use in the duel fuel founts.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Thank you for the detailed info. It helps to understand what I am dealing with and come up with a solution. Looks like I have a new project to research further in attempt to make this unit reliably shine again.
- Johnny
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

MotorcycleDan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm Someone put pump gas in there. The brown coating they used back then does not like pump gas.

The newer pink coating is designed to hold up to pump gas. That is what they use in the duel fuel founts.
But but but I run rug in my 200a burg and it works just fine......

Until it doesn't.

I don't know for the life of me why people can't get this through their skulls. It wasn't designed for pump gas, it's that simple.

Dan is spot on, someone put pump gas in it.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.