JC Higgins single mantle flaming

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
TLovell

JC Higgins single mantle flaming

Post by TLovell »

I acquired a very nice Higgins single mantle 710.74001. The generator was blocked and the pricker badly bent. No air flow noticed. I replaced the generator with a nice reproduction from old coleman parts. I get air and fuel now but too much fuel I think. The lantern flares and it does not calm down. The original generator had an asbestos tube over the spring. The reproduction has just the spring and pricker. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: JC Higgins single mantle flaming

Post by Phredd »

I don't think it is the generator. Flaring could be caused by blockage in air flow. Did you make sure the air tube and mixing chamber are completely clear. Sometimes a small spiderweb can block airflow.

Also what mantle size are you using. Flaring can occur when a mantle is too small. Maybe someone else can comment on the best size mantle for this Higgins

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

Thanks. I will tear it down again and start over. I would like to know the appropriate mantle for this lantern. Information on the Higgins lanterns is scarce as far as I can tell.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

TLovell wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 pm I would like to know the appropriate mantle for this lantern.
All my Kamp-Lites and Higgins singles push a 99/24A just fine.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

Thank you. I will try one of those.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

You can try different mantles, but realistically that aint gonna fix it.
Keith
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

So have you got any suggestion of where to start attempting to correct this issue? Thanks,
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"So have you got any suggestion of where to start attempting to correct this issue?"

If you can post a picture of the flaming that might help diagnosing the issue.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Flames usually come from a few different thing...generator not hot, lack of air as was mentioned, and too much fuel, like a loose tip, or oversize.

A bigger mantle can help heat generator sooner, though I have many many AGM's and Thermos' with your standard #21 size, or peerless of the same size.

A picture of your lantern would help, even just to ID the unit. I have no idea what all those numbers mean.
Keith
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

I will post a picture this evening. Thank you for your input. I really llike this little lantern and would like to get it to operate properly. I am new to rebuilding lanterns so the input is really helpful. My next project will be an inverted AGM that is in only fair shape.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I googled that number, that is the cute little blue one, good units.

Inside the font, they don't have a fuel/air assemblly like a Coleman, to let air in to the system for starting they have a little hole drilled in casting. That hole can plug.

Does lantern have directions for lighting??
These tend to flame more on start-up (at least for me) than my Colemans.

For an experiment, you might try heating the generator with a torch for 8-10 seconds and then crack valve and see how it behaves.
Keith
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

Thank you for your efforts. I attempted to attach a photo but the page did not like it. I learned something from you however. I was not aware that there no fuel/air assembly in these. I will look for the hole in the casting you mention and make sure it is clear. That could well be the problem or at least part of it. There are no directions for lighting other than the disc on the valve to open 1/4 turn. I will let you know the outcome. I bought another similar lantern today but a big hat single mantle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Good looking inverted. Those are fun.

The little hole is inside font, at the very top, and to see it you would need to remove valve from font. WHich isn't a big deal, but can result in minor or major disaster, depending on your level of skills.

Are you leaving valve at 1/4 turn for 20 seconds or so?? Giving it time to get generator hot?

The big hat single is loud sucker :)
Keith
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Rotate cleaning lever when running. Sometimes this lever is finicky on these type lanterns..campinut
Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

Leaving it on for at least that. Also tried small torch to generator. I think your air hole sounds like the most promising fix. Going to try that tonight. Thanks for telling me where to look.
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

I am making some progress however now I discover that the check valve is leaking. Does anyone know of a source for NOS or reproduction check valves for this solid stem type lantern. I am trying to find out if I have an option before I risk ruining the check trying to remove it to attempt to clean. Thanks,
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

I have a strong love hate relationship with my inverted like that one. I did a complete restoration and then had to take it back apart to clean the fuel tube, again. Its great when its running though.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Tlovell, what makes you think CV is leaking?? Can you not just tighten pump shaft?
Keith
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

If you hear air coming out of the CV, it should seal once the pump is threaded in.

Sometimes spraying carb cleaner in there will help. Let it sit for a few, empty it, then pump clean carb spray into the fount to clean the passage.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
TLovell

Post by TLovell »

Thanks to all who responded to my problem. After much frustration and several tear downs and rebuilds and carb cleaner in the check I finally got this little beauty operating as it should. Had to put a torch to the generator but once hot it fired right up. On to the next one! Does anyone know what the image size limitation for this sight is. I tried to attach a photo of the lantern running but it was too big.

Anyway thanks again.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I tried to attach a photo of the lantern running but it was too big."

In the forum FAQ section there are discussions of ways to post pictures.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Glad you persevered and got it running well!

Too bad about the pics. I don't recall the limit, but think it's now around 200K. I'm running Windows and edit my pics with 'Paint'. I resize to 640 pixels to start with, then reduce the overall percentage so the pic takes a lot less space.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?