Evapo-rust mica before/after

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Evapo-rust mica before/after

Post by Tgarner01 »

I'm in no way affiliated with Evapo-rust and only doing this for our friend Chuck (Hot Diggity)

Rough mica in question:

Dropping in:

Soups on:

Good enough:

2 1/2 hours later:

Much better, perfect patina 👍:

New home:

Before & after collage:

Sold Chuck? 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Evapo-rust mica before/after

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Thanks Toby. That's much faster than I expected. I did a little reading on the Evapo Rust and they say the effectiveness depends on how much rust the solvent has absorbed.
I think it was 1/2 pound per gallon. They also report an unlimited shelf life.

It looks like somebody tried to blast a torch through the lifting tab hole without opening the lighting door on that one.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

looks great. Ive been threating to get some.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I have had good results with citric acid as well. I got a little flash rust but I hope to clean that up with Naval Jelly and a Q tip
ICCC # 1402
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Good job on that. I'll have to remember that amount of time.

I'll never leave anything in Evaporust overnight again, unless perhaps I think the solution has gotten weak. I put an oil pot from a RR wickie in it once and when I took it out the next day, it had so many holes that it looked like it was made from screen. I know it's not supposed to do that, but I'll err on the side of caution going forward.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 pm Thanks Toby. That's much faster than I expected. I did a little reading on the Evapo Rust and they say the effectiveness depends on how much rust the solvent has absorbed.
I think it was 1/2 pound per gallon. They also report an unlimited shelf life.

It looks like somebody tried to blast a torch through the lifting tab hole without opening the lighting door on that one.
You're welcome Chuck. I believe those hot spots you see are from holey mantles, couple spots in the mica as well.
mksmth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 pm looks great. Ive been threating to get some.

Get a gallon or two to play with Mike. It has it's uses.
Rubing wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 pm I have had good results with citric acid as well. I got a little flash rust but I hope to clean that up with Naval Jelly and a Q tip
Yes citric is my go to for anything I'm not trying to save some original plating. This mica would've been a perfect candidate for it, but did Evapo-rust for Chuck 😁
JimL wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm Good job on that. I'll have to remember that amount of time.

I'll never leave anything in Evaporust overnight again, unless perhaps I think the solution has gotten weak. I put an oil pot from a RR wickie in it once and when I took it out the next day, it had so many holes that it looked like it was made from screen. I know it's not supposed to do that, but I'll err on the side of caution going forward.
Rusted holes? Or a reaction?
ICCC #1939
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Rusted holes? Or a reaction?

I dunno. It felt solid to me before it went in. I will still use Evaporust, but just not leave an item unattended for more than a few hours at a time without checking on it. I used Evaporust on this oil pot because it was supposed to be so harmless and replacement oil pots aren't cheap.
-Jim

CoolPro
Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

I'm sold on Evapo-rust as well - completely worth the price. I use it until I can barely see through it, than it's time to switch it up.
Cheers,
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Been there, done that .... without heating it up. Just left it overnight and presto!
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

CoolPro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 pm I'm sold on Evapo-rust as well - completely worth the price. I use it until I can barely see through it, than it's time to switch it up.
Cheers,
It's a miracle elixir for sure 😁
gwillmot wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 pm Been there, done that .... without heating it up. Just left it overnight and presto!
Works fine in the summer, in the winter it slows to a crawl in my experience... Just getting it good and warm with a lid on the pot really seems to speed the process up.
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I can get a bucket up to temperature around here by just putting it a car at lunch time.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Willy
Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

I've had good luck using vinegar. One note of caution is if the sliding door is made of zinc, vinegar will eat the zinc. The chimney in this case came off a Justrite lantern.
Willy
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

JimL wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 pm >>Rusted holes? Or a reaction?

I dunno. It felt solid to me before it went in. I will still use Evaporust, but just not leave an item unattended for more than a few hours at a time without checking on it. I used Evaporust on this oil pot because it was supposed to be so harmless and replacement oil pots aren't cheap.
I’m 99% sure it already had holes. It’s so common in those pots it’s not even funny. Half of my rr wickies have holes in the pots. They hold water.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

The whole pot looked like it was made from a screen when I removed it from the Evaporust. It may have really been that bad, but did not appear that way when I started. I still use the stuff, depending on the project. As a result of the oil pot situation, I'm just cautious about leaving some items unattended in Evaporust for more than a few hours without checking on it. Hefty metal like lantern frames/cages, I'm not concerned.
-Jim

Judamonster

Post by Judamonster »

I have forgotten unpainted things in evaporust for months without issue. Steel was dark but scrubbed clean.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Never thought of heating up evaporust. I left my mica in it overnight. That is a lot faster. Interesting post, toby.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

There is also another product like EvapoRust call Rust911. They sell it in concentration form for a price that is a lot cheaper than EvapoRust.

I've not done a side by side comparison. But I have tried it now on a couple projects and seems to work just like Evaporust.

If you buy the 16 oz concetrate it makes 2 gallons - about $15/gal. (a bit cheaper than EvapoRust at 16.5/gal)

If you buy 1 gal of the concentrate it makes 16 gallons. That's comes to 3.75/gal. (5 gal EvapoRust is about 16 gal).

And shipping is free.

Kevin

p.s. i am not associate with this company - just letting folks know about an alternative to EvapoRust.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Buckeyecamper

Post by Buckeyecamper »

I have cleaned mica using evaporust before and I'm convinced. I recently picked up a couple of Coleman marked mica. Has anyone ever cleaned one of these in evaporust? I'm hesitant to as I really don't want to damage the Coleman lettering.
David A Jewell II
Boglo

Post by Boglo »

Buckeyecamper wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:32 pm I have cleaned mica using evaporust before and I'm convinced. I recently picked up a couple of Coleman marked mica. Has anyone ever cleaned one of these in evaporust? I'm hesitant to as I really don't want to damage the Coleman lettering.
I’d be cautious with the lettering. I did lose some lettering after a several hour soak. Kinda bummed.
Bo