321B Fount Coating

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Madcap

321B Fount Coating

Post by Madcap »

Just acquired a 321B Easy Lite with a thin,reddish coating on the bottom of the fount. I assume Coleman attempted to use something to prevent rust but now it's peeling loose and needs complete removal.
Does anyone know what that stuff is and what the best method of removing would be?
Thanks for any help ~
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
International POSSUM Brotherhood Chapter 11
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
bdickson

Re: 321B Fount Coating

Post by bdickson »

I used diluted muriatic acid. 50/50 and a few small steel screws. Wipe up spillage on fount immediately and wear gloves and if you have it a respirator type mask. It can be done without but probably better if worn. Took a while but I think it worked OK. Used a vacuum to clean out fount. Lee Valley Tools sells a small plastic tube kit that worked for me. My difficulty has been that I can't remove the fuel tube assembly. Used a little heat several times but creating too much torque. Now that fount is clean I am going to try once again.
Sorry, but it's "Zed" not "Zee" for Z and a lot of "our" words end in "our" not "or" it's a Canadian thing. Eh!
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

The fuel tube assembly was removed on this 321without any trouble inverted in a vice. I had my doubts at first because of some sort of white thread lock (not Teflon tape) but it turned out easily.
I don't have any muriatic acid but I did remove some tank liner from a motorcycle gas tank with acetone. I'll post the results.
Thanks -
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Acetone does dissolve the coating but takes time. Small bolts and screws dislodged some of the coating but some of the coating remains in the bottom of the fount and around the pump housing. Unless there's another alternative I'll have to continue the current process till I'm satisfied it's completely taken care of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Denatured alcohol and the BB dance is another alternative to acetone. It works, but like you’re experiencing, it’s also a little slow.

The DNA is a little more forgiving on the paint than muriatic acid, but it needs to be wiped up as well. DNA is not corrosive though.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: 10/2015 & 1/2020 Bday Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Thanks RR - I'm low on DNA at the moment so will need to continue with the acetone and some small screws to rattle around in it once in awhile. Hopefully it'll eventually remove all of that stuff and this 321 can join the normal Coleman founts that have to deal with the normal pesky rust.... :cf_cheers:
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Madcap wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm Thanks RR - I'm low on DNA at the moment so will need to continue with the acetone and some small screws to rattle around in it once in awhile. Hopefully it'll eventually remove all of that stuff and this 321 can join the normal Coleman founts that have to deal with the normal pesky rust.... :)
For a BB dance I use small sheet-metal screws too, like #6 x 1/2" long and also some 1/4-20 hex nuts. I count out 50 screws and 25 nuts. Once I get them out of the fount I'll re-count to make sure one didn't get lodged by the pump tube or snorkel. Sometimes I have to rap on the fount a little to loosen up a screw that got stuck!

It will do a number on it. Some liners have come right off in a day or so. Others need a little longer soak and shake. No need to rush.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: 10/2015 & 1/2020 Bday Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater