What is this generator?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
keith70

What is this generator?

Post by keith70 »

Good evening all,
I'm trying to figure out what the generator on the right goes to. It is pictured next to an IL generator. The overall length of the IL generator is 5 9/16" and the overall length of the unknown generator is 5 1/4", so it can't be an NL generator since they should be the same overall length. The first picture is both complete generators side by side. The next picture is both generators with their respective "tips" removed. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Keith
IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_E8159.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Re: What is this generator?

Post by gpaguy »

The gen. on the right is an NL323 generator. Were did you find those ?

John
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

To say those generators are rare is a huge understatement.
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

your showing a NL and a IL torch lighting gennys . i want !!!
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
keith70

Post by keith70 »

I'm not seeing how this can be an NL generator. When properly installed in the lantern it is too short by about 3/8". If you allow the burner assembly to seat down on the generator there is zero vent stud exposed to secured the ball nut to. Picture here:
NOT an NL generator.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

put the IL genny in its place ? i donr have both just the NL here . i dont think the burners are identical , its one of the other ?
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

SteveRetherford wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:37 pm Image
Steve, assuming this pic is your NL! Your burner is quite different than what’s in the newer book?

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

no , thats an IL pic . NL has no tip cleaner . pretty certain the burner castings are not the same .
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

SteveRetherford wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:49 pm no , thats an IL pic . NL has no tip cleaner . pretty certain the burner castings are not the same .
Looks nothing like the book or I’m blinder than I realize.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

the new book says there the same all but the length of the genny . one is suposed to be shorter , that may be the only difference . i have scratched my head over this for a long time but dont have an IL to compare .
keith70

Post by keith70 »

The book shows the same burner assembly on both IL/NL lanterns, the only difference being the generators. It even mentions a shorter generator tube to accommodate the tip cleaner assembly, but the overall length of each total generator assembly should be the same.
Here's the supposed NL generator in place. Notice in the second picture that there are zero threads to secure the vent with the ball nut.
NL seated.jpg
NL vent stud.jpg
Here's the IL generator in place. The vent stud protrudes sufficiently to allow the ball nut to be put in place.
IL seated.jpg
IL vent stud.jpg
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

i have one of these generator shells only , ill try n measure the length today .
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

The only difference I'm seeing between IL and Nl 323 burners is the length of the vent stud. The IL stud is about 3/8's of an inch shorter than the NL.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

i have found a few of what i think are these genny shells , but not where you might expect to find em .... they were on conversions , the shells were just inside the handles of some lamps ......
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

there ya go :-) just need a longer stud !!!
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

I’m at a disadvantage here as I can not find my recent Coleman lite addressing the Coleman Alphabet.
Neil McRae’s PLC research seems to agree with the book.

It would be interesting and helpful to see a complete lantern picture.

Steve, the IL picture you posted came from where?
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

I got a great comment about needing a longer stud but I'll leave that alone.😎
Shawn
keith70

Post by keith70 »

Anyone have any measurements of both potential vent studs with pictures to verify the longer stud hypothesis? The one I have protrudes 15/16" from the mixing chamber. I can always rig up something to make it work, but I'm looking not for the expedient solution. This will probably be the only early piece I'll ever own, so I'd like it to be correct. If it's an IL that's OK, but both generator assemblies should be the same length unless there really is a difference in the burner assemblies. Steve's IL picture doesn't really look that different, the casting just isn't as clean and it looks like a little flash remains. I still think that my purported NL generator shell goes to something completely different (just not sure what).
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

do these gennys have a steel rod in the lower end ? with packing up top
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

SteveRetherford wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:53 pm do these gennys have a steel rod in the lower end ? with packing up top
I have a GS323 here that has a short section of steel rod in the bottom of it but it has no packing at the top.

Something else I thought of...What about how far you thread the generator into valve and how far you thread the valve into the tank. If they are engaging deep it would shorten the height of the burner and stud.

John
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

it should have asbestos packing at the top , ill bet its hard to get going like that ..i found nos asbestos for mine .

true story , one of the first OLD coleman lanterns i got was a NL and i didnt know squat , i was a totall newby here .....upon disasembly i scratch my head and wonder why some goof ball would have stuck a steel rod in there that does nothing !!! LOL was i wrong , but it wasent untill i started taking apart torch lighting lamps that i figured out what these rods were intended for and i put that short rod back in the NL , actualy it was so rusty n pitted i cut n made a new one for it ...trust me i have made numerous mistakes along the way LOL
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

its times 2 , how deep is the valve in the fount and how deep the genny is in the valve , both need to be looked at , but i think its a taller stud you need here or put it together as a NL , either way id be happy :-)
keith70

Post by keith70 »

SteveRetherford wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:53 pm do these gennys have a steel rod in the lower end ? with packing up top
The IL generator had the steel rod, but no packing. The "NL" generator was repacked by the PO, but no steel rod.
The valve is all the way into the fount, and the end of "NL" generator are tapered so it's seated pretty well into the valve. Then again, if the IL generator fits perfectly as-is at 5 9/16" total length then the "NL" generator should too (except it's only 5 1/4" long). I understand a sixteenth or so, but it shouldn't vary that much. Looks like I'll build an IL for now, but I'm still on the hunt to figure out what the other generator goes to.
keith70

Post by keith70 »

It finally came to me to try a different fount/vent combination. It worked perfectly. The valve seated a little higher in the first fount I grabbed and I found a vent that was just a hair shorter. Voila! Sometimes I try to make things harder than they should be. I'm slow, but I get there eventually. One complete 323 NL except for one reproduction burner tube.
323 NL.jpg
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

keith70 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 pm It finally came to me to try a different fount/vent combination. It worked perfectly. The valve seated a little higher in the first fount I grabbed and I found a vent that was just a hair shorter. Voila! Sometimes I try to make things harder than they should be. I'm slow, but I get there eventually. One complete 323 NL except for one reproduction burner tube.
323 NL.jpg
Keith, that is spectacular now run it a bit and only you will know the tube is reproduction

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

keith70

Post by keith70 »

My follow up is: steel piece in the bottom and asbestos packing in the top, Right?
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

keith70 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:50 pm My follow up is: steel piece in the bottom and asbestos packing in the top, Right?
yes .
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

OK , this has been in the back of my head since you first posted this , but it wasent till today that i was fiddling with the parts i wanted to show ya . not a generator at all or is it ? lots of coleman parts cross over to other apliances and i have for some time wondered about this one .... right when the Q burner came out lots of the old torch lighting lamps got converted to quick lite . even coleman continue to sell the first torch lighting devices with a quick lite burner up top .... for the turbin fount past of the conversion is a short tube within the handle that a quick lite burner can be added up top ....its this tube im trying to show ya , i believe one could easily make it a generator if needed and you had the tip , nickel plated , may need to adjust the length ??? i dont have my NL apart to check that length ...... i fiddled with 3 of these handle assemblys fixing up a lamp today so i snapped a pic for ya ..... way easier that typing all this :-)

double click the pic

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

in part my interest is cuz i have an NL lantern , but secondly is i have a spare NL gas tip to i can actualy make up a NL generator i think .... back in the day my NL gad such an enlarged gas tip it just wouldnt burn right ...sent it to Dean and had it threaded to accept a common V gas tip and it worked great ...... quite a few years later at the Tempe ICCC convention digging thru Warrens stash i found a NOS gas tip , looked like treasure to me and bought it ....... that NL gas tip holds a pretty high place in my parts stash still today

the nos one before i installed it