414 Dual Fuel Stove

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Hillb

414 Dual Fuel Stove

Post by Hillb »

Good day all. I bought an old 414 Coleman stove (1963 model I believe) and it has the old style round red barrel-like tank. From reading some posts here and elsewhere, I am under the impression that dual fuel stoves had grey or gold tanks, and red tanks were for naphtha only. However, I have the old instruction pamphlet that came with the stove and it states that the stove can use either unleaded gas or naphtha. So, my question is,...is there something on the tank or stove, that would identify it as being able to use both fuels?

(Attached is a picture of the instruction pamplet - circled in red is the fuel statement)
Coleman_414.jpg
Many thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 414 Dual Fuel Stove

Post by 25_502s »

I don’t think the older ones had any markings to distinguish them. Most all of them can use either fuel but the generator will clog faster with RUG. The gray tank colors came out later pretty much as a selling tool but usually have a wider generator to add to life of the gen.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Hillb

Post by Hillb »

Thank you, Jason!
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

It will burn unleaded gas just fine, but do yourself (and it) a favor and just use Coleman fuel.
Keith
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Automotive Fuels

Post by Stovie »

The great bugaboo with automotive fuel in my opinion isn't so much it will carbon up the generator, (though it will do that, eventually) it's the fact that it has a very short "shelf life" compared to CF or naptha, if left in the tank it will soon turn to varnish and leave gum and tar deposits rendering the stove inoperable. With the cost and availability of CF lots of people understandably want to use a less expensive alternative. Don't leave automotive gasoline in the tank for extended periods!

Something to keep in mind too, is automotive gasoline additives are (more) toxic when burned inside a tent or cabin. Stinky too, I'm sure.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Unleaded fuel of today is not the same unleaded fuel when that set of instructions and that stove came out. Just use CF in stoves. There is so much nasty stuff in todays pump gas that will be burned off. Do you want that mixing with your food? I would only use pump gas in a emergency.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Today's gasoline in a stove? Like Dan said, if it's all I got laying around.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”