Jc Higgins and kamplite

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Egcamacho1

Jc Higgins and kamplite

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Messing around with these, I posted a picture I can start them but having trouble keeping them on the kamplite has a new generator but won’t run steady the jc Higgins runs smoother but loose pressure. I did a dunk test and I’m getting leaks from check valves I removed them and dipped them in lacquer and put them back on still same thing maybe little better parts are hard to find. Also the knobs are hard to turn can that be a issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Jc Higgins and kamplite

Post by Tgarner01 »

You still get a leak from the check valve when it's closed?
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Yes it has a small leak still should I try cleaning the check valves better
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm You still get a leak from the check valve when it's closed?
Yea it doesn’t small leak , should I try cleaning the check valves better ?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Possibly, sounds like you have dirt or an imperfection on the seat. I have used carb cleaner to soak them in place then flush with the pump plunger to remove some crud. But sometimes they just have to come apart.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm Possibly, sounds like you have dirt or an imperfection on the seat. I have used carb cleaner to soak them in place then flush with the pump plunger to remove some crud. But sometimes they just have to come apart.
Well thanks I’ll give it another shot I’ll try carb cleaner let them soak up and inspect them for any imperfections
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Egcamacho1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm
" I did a dunk test and I’m getting leaks from check valves I removed them and dipped them in lacquer and put them back on still same thing maybe little better parts are hard to find. Also the knobs are hard to turn can that be a issue?

Did you really dip them in lacquer or lacquer thinner? Big difference of course.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Chucker wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:44 pm
Egcamacho1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm
" I did a dunk test and I’m getting leaks from check valves I removed them and dipped them in lacquer and put them back on still same thing maybe little better parts are hard to find. Also the knobs are hard to turn can that be a issue?

Did you really dip them in lacquer or lacquer thinner? Big difference of course.
Lacquer thinner? Was that maybe my mistake?
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

No lacquer thinner is ok, pretty much the same as mineral Spirits or paint thinner. You said “lacquer” that would definitely seal up the CV lol. Like Toby said, carb cleaner works great to break down old fuel and deposits. If you have to remove the CV again make sure the seat is clean and smooth before putting it back in. Also check the pump stem, the tapered brass stem might have a groove in it from over tightening. That can be smoothed out with some fine sand paper on a hard surface. Keep the angle of the stem while turning it on the sand paper.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Kgam1020 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:59 pm No lacquer thinner is ok, pretty much the same as mineral Spirits or paint thinner. You said “lacquer” that would definitely seal up the CV lol. Like Toby said, carb cleaner works great to break down old fuel and deposits. If you have to remove the CV again make sure the seat is clean and smooth before putting it back in. Also check the pump stem, the tapered brass stem might have a groove in it from over tightening. That can be smoothed out with some fine sand paper on a hard surface. Keep the angle of the stem while turning it on the sand paper.
Lol sorry for the confusion, sweet I’ll try that out looks like I’m going to have to tear them down again.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

What I do with CV’s is heat and quench. Has never failed me 😉
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm You still get a leak from the check valve when it's closed?
remember how my inverted leaks when I screw in and close the stem but doesnt leak (sometimes doesnt) when i dont screw it in. pretty weird.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

CVs always leak a little. That's why the end of the pump shaft on these is threaded so it screws into the CV and seals it off. Are you doing that? Unlike a Coleman, the pump shaft must be all the way down then turn it clockwise to shut the CV off.

Have you replaced the fuel cap gaskets? They'll always need it. Same size as the large Coleman gasket or use a #112 Viton or Buna o-ring.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:21 pm CVs always leak a little. That's why the end of the pump shaft on these is threaded so it screws into the CV and seals it off. Are you doing that? Unlike a Coleman, the pump shaft must be all the way down then turn it clockwise to shut the CV off.

Have you replaced the fuel cap gaskets? They'll always need it. Same size as the large Coleman gasket or use a #112 Viton or Buna o-ring.
Yes I have put a new gasket on the filler cap and I did make sure close off the pump shaft I’m going to try the heat and quench method
Egcamacho1

Post by Egcamacho1 »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 pm What I do with CV’s is heat and quench. Has never failed me 😉
I haven’t tried that but that could work!!