242A help

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

242A help

Post by Flyboyfwa »

I got my 242A running today. I have a couple of questions. It runs really smooth but seems dim. The pump doesn't seem to be as smooth as later lanterns. I was going to put a new pump cup on it but it looks like the pump cup is sandwiched between two metal discs that are press-fit on. Is there a way to easily change these? Also, I know with the early pump you don' t have a air stem to positively shut the air off. Is it safe to add air by pumping it up while it's running? I would assume so , but when you are playing with fire it's easier to ask first.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 242A help

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

The A pumps with the PIP are kinda wonky by design, probably the reason that didn’t last very long.
I pump my while running just like any other lantern but I do have a new pip.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i know this guy selling those sandwiched pump cups :-)
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

You're safe to add while running, even tho these use a pip they still have a snorkel running up into air like the later check valve setups, in fact you can use later parts on your lantern if so inclined. Steve should have your cups.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

Ok. Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. I changed the pip so we should be good there. Steve I might be in the market for one of those.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:07 pm You're safe to add while running, even tho these use a pip they still have a snorkel running up into air like the later check valve setups, in fact you can use later parts on your lantern if so inclined. Steve should have your cups.
I forgot about one of Coleman’s specific design features!

Ya it would be nice to see a picture. Probably one of the wtb items we see more requests for here. :D

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

Andy Has a new leather on the way , but it doesnt look like he really NEEDS one :-)

[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I've always wondered why Coleman would just bag a known to work design--the CV and air stem--and go with a much less reliable and safe design like an NRV.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

SteveRetherford wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 pm i know this guy selling those sandwiched pump cups :-)
🤣
ICCC # 1402
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Gunhippie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am I've always wondered why Coleman would just bag a known to work design--the CV and air stem--and go with a much less reliable and safe design like an NRV.
I always figured it was a cost cutting measure... But to be honest I'm not sure they would've been "cheaper" to make... 🤔 I know every one of them I've ever messed with has fought me the whole way until they work... Then they're fine after that 🤷‍♂️ Positive shut offs for this hillbilly....
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

I see from the diagram in post #7 above, from Steve, that the pump assembly must have been installed before the bottom on the fount was put on. i.e. installed from the inside since the 'snorkel' tube would not clear the pump tube hole from the outside.
Which all goes to remind me that the Dutch invented the 'schnorkel' for their submarines, but the Germans found some new schnorkels on the docks, or wharves, awaiting installation, and promptly took them up.
Paul.