Coleman 424 learning/advice - popping/lots of flame

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
grant_cook

Coleman 424 learning/advice - popping/lots of flame

Post by grant_cook »

Hi -

I have a older Coleman 424 2-burner camp stove, and am using Coleman fuel. I am having some trouble getting it started in normal warmer weather, and have occasion had the huge-flaming-metal-box to deal with due to excess fuel burning off.

Right now, after lighting/warming up for a minute or two and turning the lighting lever down on the right side burner, the burner flame is bigger and yellow, and I am getting some flame out of the tube learning into expansion chamber in the manifold, and flame in the expansion chamber as well. Often, I get sudden popping and a "jet-engine" sounding noise from that area. Oddly, if I engage the second burner, it seems to get both burners working normally steady-state with nice clean blue flame circles.

I've cleaned out the burners themselves, but perhaps I'll take another pass at the expansion chamber area. But I am trying to figure out how the initial fuel-into-the-manifold should be working, to see if something is too rich or igniting early.

Thanks for any advice.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman 424 learning/advice - popping/lots of flame

Post by zoomkat »

"I am having some trouble getting it started in normal warmer weather, and have occasion had the huge-flaming-metal-box to deal with due to excess fuel burning off."

Well, you might have bug nest in the burner plenum, but for single burner use, you might have the fuel control valve open too much. This is based on the fact you say the stove operates somewhat normally with both burners in operation.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

too much pressure at start up can push too much fuel thru and give these results .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
grant_cook

Post by grant_cook »

Thx... I'll try to keep the pressure lower. I tend to pump a lot.

Should you ever get flame/burning the manifold expansion chamber? I am testing it now, and its a helluva windy day, but I hear a pop and there's flame in the manifold.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

they sure dont like wind , not so good for testing as a lot depends on it warming up , with high winds they dont warm up like they should .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
JeepJeepster

Post by JeepJeepster »

My uncles family recently went camping and I was really glad to see them buy 2 new coleman lanterns and a new 424 stove.

The lanterns worked perfect, but the stove kept getting flashback. It fired right up the first time, burned perfect, then it started popping and sounding like a jet engine. When it did this, the flame went out, and Im assuming the flame went inside of the manifold. Coleman has a section on their website about this.

I recommended he just take it back. Its unfortunate, I grew up seeing my parents use coleman lanterns and stoves, never had a single issue.
Lookin for birthday lanterns:
2/57
8/59
6/2010
6/2013
Disco

Post by Disco »

Hi Grant,
I like to add some Meths (denatured alcohol for those in USA) onto the top of the burner and do a preheat of the generator. I find that by the time the Meths has nearly burnt off, the stove will then light up with little drama on the Coleman fuel.
Greg Wilson
Coleman 214 x 4, Coleman 201 x 1, Coleman 288 x 1, Coleman 295 x 2, Coleman 220F x 1, Coleman 220K x 1, Tilley X246 x 1, 424 x 2
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

I agree with Disco. I often do a pre-heat of the generator and seldom have any trouble.
E.B. Leland