turner brass works model 1811 stove info

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BMurray2040

turner brass works model 1811 stove info

Post by BMurray2040 »

a good friend of mine found a Turner Brass Works model no 1811 2 burner two generator stove(see photo of name plate) there is zero info on this stove on the internet, but it does have a stamped name plate so it was made. let me know what you know. it seems to be a ghoust. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: turner brass works model 1811 stove info

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Do a search on this site. Another Turner currently posted in the Just Bull forum now. Not rare, but don't turn up every day. Good stoves.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Awesome. I found one the other day and have it on the bench getting fixed up. Word of caution if the wheels are tight be very careful. One of mine broke off. It's fixed now.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
OldRadios

Post by OldRadios »

Hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure that what looks like an "8" isn't actually a "2"? I have the same stove marked with X-141 (Sold by Western Auto) and have had in the past a model 1211, but have never seen a 1811. I am NO expert, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can answer. Nice stoves though.
Gene
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Im with Gene on this one. I bet that is a 1211 not 1811. I never found anything that was 1811 when I searched out about mine.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
BMurray2040

Post by BMurray2040 »

OldRadios wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 pm Hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure that what looks like an "8" isn't actually a "2"? I have the same stove marked with X-141 (Sold by Western Auto) and have had in the past a model 1211, but have never seen a 1811. I am NO expert, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can answer. Nice stoves though.
if you zoom the photo its a 8 not a 2
BMurray2040

Post by BMurray2040 »

BMurray2040 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 am
OldRadios wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 pm Hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure that what looks like an "8" isn't actually a "2"? I have the same stove marked with X-141 (Sold by Western Auto) and have had in the past a model 1211, but have never seen a 1811. I am NO expert, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can answer. Nice stoves though.
if you zoom the photo its a 8 not a 2 so yes still confusing
BMurray2040

Post by BMurray2040 »

zoom the photo its a 8 not a 2. we did learn that these stove had been made for military use and the 2 valve models were for officers and the single valves were field models. thanks for your thoughts
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

The Turner stoves were not used by the military. It's a common misconception usually caused by the color. AGM, Preway and Turner all used various shades of khaki/green/brown in the 1930s that looks like it should be military but they're not. I made the same mistake 50+years ago when I bought a Turner single burner from a well known militaria dealer because he listed it as a military stove. Found out later he had a reputation for fanciful IDs on his merchandise. The US never used any two burner suitcase stoves. The only US military two burner I know of was the M1942 two-burner, which Coleman calls a 523. Those were made for vehicle crews, like tank crews and for rear line medical units.

If you think about a two burner suitcase stove it doesn't fit any useful role for the military. It is far too big and heavy for someone to carry in a pack, it's not big enough to feed large numbers. Same with the Turner one-burner. No infantryman is going to lug something that heavy and bulky. Even the petite by comparison M1941 (520) was designed to be a five man stove. I have Army quartermaster catalogs that show the various stoves and lanterns available through the supply system and there is nothing like a two-burner suitcase in them. If someone can show me documentation to the contrary I'll be glad to change my opinion.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

OldRadios

Post by OldRadios »

I did zoom in and used some editing software to try and clear up the image as much as possible, to my eye, the number in question (2 or 8) appears to have a clear "End" or stop at the middle like a "2" would instead of "Intersecting" through the middle like an "8" would, the style of "Font" makes this difficult to discern. As I said I am not an expert and will never claim to be one. It could very well be an "8" in which case I believe it would be quite rare. I couldn't find a pic of another Turner plate that had an "8" stamped in it for comparison, but did compare the image to this. Just my 2 cents.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gene