220F Muffled Sound on Ignition

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

220F Muffled Sound on Ignition

Post by burnt bacon »

Evening, Gents. I tried starting a 220F, 03 '70 for the first time. It's in nice shape. Valve operates well and with 1/4 turn, I hear the fuel pretty quickly. It also ignites promptly, except it makes a fairly loud muffled sound in addition to the hiss. This sound goes on for about 2-3 min, then goes away. It burns bright, but continues with a pulsating mode. Now my second pulsator, unfortunately... :(

Any ideas as to the cause fo the sound? I guess my next question is, do you tolerate a pulsator, or take it apart and rectify it? In my limited experience, it seems to burn fine but for the pulsating.

Thanks...
Stovie at heart...
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 220F Muffled Sound on Ignition

Post by JimL »

I personally find a pulsing light quite annoying. I want a lantern to burn steady as a light bulb. I rebuild my generators and use bronze wool. If I get pulsing, I remove the generator and just add a little more bronze wool which resolves the pulsing.

I suspect both of your issues are with the generator. I'm not sure about a muffled loud sound, but I suggest loosening the generator and turn it several degrees and tighten the nut up again. Sometimes the tip wire will vibrate and create unwanted noise. Hey, it's worth a shot.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

JimL wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:30 pm I personally find a pulsing light quite annoying. I want a lantern to burn steady as a light bulb. I rebuild my generators and use bronze wool. If I get pulsing, I remove the generator and just add a little more bronze wool which resolves the pulsing.

I suspect both of your issues are with the generator. I'm not sure about a muffled loud sound, but I suggest loosening the generator and turn it several degrees and tighten the nut up again. Sometimes the tip wire will vibrate and create unwanted noise. Hey, it's worth a shot.
Thanks!
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Disassembled the gen and near the top, around the outside, the brass is deformed. Trying to peer inside of it I couldn't see any deformity. Cleaned everything, re-assembled, then saw copious leaking from the nut. Untightened, re-tightened a few times and the leaking was still there, another mystery I guess.

I'll order a few generators...see what happens with a new part.
Stovie at heart...
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Inspect the flare of the gen and look for a crack. If none, heat it up real good, let it cool and reinstall it to see if that stops the leak. It may just be a bit deformed. You probably don't need to let it cool other than to not burn yourself reinstalling it. :) Also make certain the generator nut hasn't got a crack. It's not common, but can happen.
-Jim

burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

JimL wrote: Inspect the flare of the gen and look for a crack. If none, heat it up real good, let it cool and reinstall it to see if that stops the leak. It may just be a bit deformed. You probably don't need to let it cool other than to not burn yourself reinstalling it. :) Also make certain the generator nut hasn't got a crack. It's not common, but can happen.
Thanks, Jim. I just re-installed and now it's not leaking, but will def keep that tip in mind.

FWIW, here is what the deformed portion of the top of the gen tube looks like...

Stovie at heart...
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Check your burner tubes also make sure they're not loose same with the caps

Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

arizonacamper wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 am Check your burner tubes also make sure they're not loose same with the caps

Shawn
Thanks, Shawn.

I tried running it without mantles, and saw the source of the muffling sound in action. It's the sound of the vapor shooting from the burners, while it is literally blowing out the flame. Tried it twice, and both times after lighting the burners blew out the flame. I think the gen is to blame.
Stovie at heart...
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

That deformity just looks like excess solder running down the gen. By that, I don't mean the low temp solder. I've melted it once when using a torch to heat a gen to red hot for a heat and quench. Fortunately, I didn't lose the seal, but now stay away from the tip.

>>Tried it twice, and both times after lighting the burners blew out the flame. I think the gen is to blame.

If you pumped it up like you would with mantles installed, this is to be expected. Without mantles, you only want a few pumps, maybe as much as five. Plus, you should use a torch to continue heating the generator since there are no mantles to do the job.
-Jim

Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Leak at genny base.....nut has to be tighter than you think in many cases. Glad you got it stopped.

And without mantles, is easy for flame to blow themselves out. Low pressure, good pre-heat, and open valve fully will help keep it goin. Don't blame the genny.

Though I don't like that solder on the generator. Since I have a lot of 220 gens, I would not use that one. If it splits, you are gonna have a real hot mess on your hands.
Keith
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

It does look like solder, but where is it coming from? It causes the tube to bind a little bit when removing and replacing.
JimL wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:14 am
>>Tried it twice, and both times after lighting the burners blew out the flame. I think the gen is to blame.

If you pumped it up like you would with mantles installed, this is to be expected. Without mantles, you only want a few pumps, maybe as much as five. Plus, you should use a torch to continue heating the generator since there are no mantles to do the job.
Thanks, I didn't know that. But, the sound was identical to the problem sound from before, so something similar is going on with the mantles installed. I'll try attaching two more and see the outcome.
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Majicwrench wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:23 am Leak at genny base.....nut has to be tighter than you think in many cases. Glad you got it stopped.

And without mantles, is easy for flame to blow themselves out. Low pressure, good pre-heat, and open valve fully will help keep it goin. Don't blame the genny.

Though I don't like that solder on the generator. Since I have a lot of 220 gens, I would not use that one. If it splits, you are gonna have a real hot mess on your hands.
Thanks, Keith.
Stovie at heart...
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Guess I'll just wait for new gens to arrive.
Stovie at heart...
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Every lantern has a personality. If the muffled ripping noise goes away once it's warmed up I wouldn't worry about it. (Some 288s are known to howl like a banshee, I have one.) The pulsing could be a generator issue, or it could be a fuel-air tube issue. No way to tell without swapping the generator for a known good one from another running lantern. Or, taking the whole lantern apart to get to the FA tube and check it.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

The sound you are hearing is in the air intake. I've got a few that do that and one of my brothers old ones that absolutely howls. Once warm the stop. One of them had a hum that was at a frequency that drove me bat 💩 nuts so I dove into what was causing it. I had to file off the end of the screw that sticks in the base of the burner frame. It's all about velocity and being cold. Once things warm up the dimensions change and it goes away. Most of the time there's something you can do to stop it. Had a guy bring me a late model power house with a howl. I used a de buring tool to remove the lip in the ID of the burner frame inlet. Didn't make a peep after that
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Appreciate the comments, guys...
Stovie at heart...
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I never thought that little screw in the air tube could cause noise. Now i know anther place to look.

Thanks

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

I've been runnin the thing and it seems to be functioning pretty well...go figger... :?

Maybe it's those clip-mantles... 8-)
Stovie at heart...
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

I was going to video my howler today but didn't get to it. Maybe next week. It's a 295 and howls so loud it vibrates the globe. Lol It's kinda funny so I've left it alone. I've found this more common on the pressed metal air frames.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Phredd wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:02 pm I never thought that little screw in the air tube could cause noise. Now i know anther place to look.

Thanks
I've seen it on e's &f's.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Maybe they're crying because their brothers and sisters have been sent to Etsy, where lanterns and lamps go to die a horrific death.
-Jim

burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

JimL wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:51 am Maybe they're crying because their brothers and sisters have been sent to Etsy, where lanterns and lamps go to die a horrific death.
LOL X 2....!
Stovie at heart...
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

JimL wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:51 am Maybe they're crying because their brothers and sisters have been sent to Etsy, where lanterns and lamps go to die a horrific death.
That's funny right there
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

I have a 228E that starts with that sound and I like it, once hot it goes away. Mine is and old Rusty granny that she hates to get lit 🔥 that’s why she complains about it :lol:
Last edited by Pancholoco1911 on Sun May 02, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Post by burnt bacon »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:39 pm I have a 228E that starts with that sound and I like it, once hot it goes away. Mine is and old Rusty granny then she hates to get lighted that’s why she complains about it :lol:
:lol:
Stovie at heart...