Hipolito lighting

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
onerednek

Hipolito lighting

Post by onerednek »

I recently purchased a hipolito lantern. It does not have an alcohol cup so I was using the fast starter that is on the side of it. I clean the air and fuel jets out and I get vapor but it will not light.Sometimes it tries to light but the flame is less than a second and then just becomes vapor again. What am I doing wrong?
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Hipolito lighting

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Play with the air fuel mixture screw
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 pm Play with the air fuel mixture screw
Where would it be good sir? I’m assuming on the rapid lighting assembly? I didn’t notice one , but not familiar with these, so I may have just not known what I was looking at
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

onerednek wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 pm I recently purchased a hipolito lantern. It does not have an alcohol cup so I was using the fast starter that is on the side of it. I clean the air and fuel jets out and I get vapor but it will not light.Sometimes it tries to light but the flame is less than a second and then just becomes vapor again. What am I doing wrong?
Take the whole torch system apart and clean deeply. I’ve had the same issues on mine so took it out and placed in the ultrasonic cleaner and problem resolved.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:35 pm
onerednek wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 pm I recently purchased a hipolito lantern. It does not have an alcohol cup so I was using the fast starter that is on the side of it. I clean the air and fuel jets out and I get vapor but it will not light.Sometimes it tries to light but the flame is less than a second and then just becomes vapor again. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks. I don’t have an ultrasonic, so it’s probably heading for an alcohol bath.

Take the whole torch system apart and clean deeply. I’ve had the same issues on mine so took it out and placed in the ultrasonic cleaner and problem resolved.
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Is your lantern full of fuel? The rapid heater pickup is shorter than the main valve pickup.
I had a crack running lengthwise in the side of the rapid torch fuel pickup tube that caused that on an Aida. Also make sure the pickup tube screen, if present, is clear. Also make sure your pickup tube is good and tight where it screws into the rapid lighter torch body.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

onerednek wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 pm
Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 pm Play with the air fuel mixture screw
Where would it be good sir? I’m assuming on the rapid lighting assembly? I didn’t notice one , but not familiar with these, so I may have just not known what I was looking at
Oohhhh. I wasn’t reading that right. Thought you meant the lantern wouldn’t light. Do what Pancho said. He’s good with these lanterns.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

One often overlooked issue...how old is your kero?

If it is over 6 mos. old stored in a plastic container or over 1 year in a metal container you may want to add 10% Coleman fuel to the kero. For that lantern however, maybe fresh kero would be best. I don't mind using 10% CF to kero in my euro-style lanterns but some do.

I own many Aida, Optimus, and Petromax's as well as one Sea Anchor. Some are just easier to diagnose than others because of their quality.

If the above guidance on cleaning does not help, this is what I would look at.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Rustytank wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:50 pm Is your lantern full of fuel? The rapid heater pickup is shorter than the main valve pickup.
I had a crack running lengthwise in the side of the rapid torch fuel pickup tube that caused that on an Aida. Also make sure the pickup tube screen, if present, is clear. Also make sure your pickup tube is good and tight where it screws into the rapid lighter torch body.
thanks. You all have definitely given me some information to start with on troubleshooting issues. The screen is clean and I’m 3/4 full of kero. It makes a ton of vapor cloud, but doesn’t stay lit. So I’ll start with adjusting the air and dig deeper from there. I like starting simple first, so hopefully the problem is that simple
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

onerednek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:55 am
Rustytank wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:50 pm Is your lantern full of fuel? The rapid heater pickup is shorter than the main valve pickup.
thanks. You all have definitely given me some information to start with on troubleshooting issues. The screen is clean and I’m 3/4 full of kero. It makes a ton of vapor cloud, but doesn’t stay lit. So I’ll start with adjusting the air and dig deeper from there. I like starting simple first, so hopefully the problem is that simple
If this is the case you may not have enough fount pressure to keep it lit. Does your filler cap have the pressure gauge built in? If so you need to keep it at least at the red line on the gauge. If not you need a lot more pressure than what you're building, and if yours doesn't have the schrader valve you have to pump that factory pump like crazy to maintain fount pressure.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

onerednek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:55 am
Same symptoms as mine, not enough kerosene in the air mixture to keep it roaring. Get the rapid heater out and clean those ver tiny holes very good. I tried twice and mine runs like a chap now.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

I would recommend to play around with the fount pressure.
If all parts are clean the preheater torch should work fine. However, full pressue might be far to much for the torch. I've found that the flame blows itself out. Try with less pressure and as soon as the torch lights keep pumping slowly to maintain that pressure. Once the lantern is lit pump up to full pressure.
Hope his helps.
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Erwin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 am I would recommend to play around with the fount pressure.
If all parts are clean the preheater torch should work fine. However, full pressue might be far to much for the torch. I've found that the flame blows itself out. Try with less pressure and as soon as the torch lights keep pumping slowly to maintain that pressure. Once the lantern is lit pump up to full pressure.
Hope his helps.
That’s absolutely possible. The pressure gauge doesn’t work so I have no way to gauge it. Also the pump leather isn’t not so good so I had the adapter on it for a bike pump and pumped it up with it
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

onerednek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am That’s absolutely possible. The pressure gauge doesn’t work so I have no way to gauge it. Also the pump leather isn’t not so good so I had the adapter on it for a bike pump and pumped it up with it
I the indicator doesn't work, start with 25 - 30 pump strokes and try to light the torch. You'll quickly understand when the pressure is too high or low.
The empty strokes on the pump can drive one real crazy. Put a leather spreader underneath the leather or use the bike pump, as pefered.
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
sourgasjohn
Colemanaholic

Post by sourgasjohn »

Good luck!
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Erwin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:47 am
onerednek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am That’s absolutely possible. The pressure gauge doesn’t work so I have no way to gauge it. Also the pump leather isn’t not so good so I had the adapter on it for a bike pump and pumped it up with it
I the indicator doesn't work, start with 25 - 30 pump strokes and try to light the torch. You'll quickly understand when the pressure is too high or low.
The empty strokes on the pump can drive one real crazy. Put a leather spreader underneath the leather or use the bike pump, as pefered.
thanks! I’ll try less pressure for start up
DBouch
Slant saver #66
onerednek

Post by onerednek »

Chucker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:45 am One often overlooked issue...how old is your kero? The kero is about 6 months old.

If it is over 6 mos. old stored in a plastic container or over 1 year in a metal container you may want to add 10% Coleman fuel to the kero. For that lantern however, maybe fresh kero would be best. I don't mind using 10% CF to kero in my euro-style lanterns but some do.

I own many Aida, Optimus, and Petromax's as well as one Sea Anchor. Some are just easier to diagnose than others because of their quality.

If the above guidance on cleaning does not help, this is what I would look at.
DBouch
Slant saver #66
Judamonster

Post by Judamonster »

It has been a while since I looked at these, but i recall the rapid preheater has 3 holes, one for the kero and 2 for air. the air are microscopic and clog easily. scroll to the bottom of this thread.

https://classicpressurelamps.com/thread ... tive.9089/