220b burner frame electrolysis

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Wpavlis

220b burner frame electrolysis

Post by Wpavlis »

I acquired an early 220b not too long ago. Fount tested good so putting some effort into the rest of this old girl. The frame is structurally sound, but looked like it was painted brown due to rust. I put it in an electrolysis tank for about 8 hours today. Some of the thick bits of hot dipped tin actually remained! Everywhere else has that black coating that often is left from electrolysis. I have scrubbed it with a scotch pad, but just can't seem to get it all off. I have never painted a frame before, but then i have never had one with rust this bad. Any thoughts?
- Bill
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 220b burner frame electrolysis

Post by Tgarner01 »

Electrolysis works, but is a little slow for my liking. I always go back to warm Evapo-rust...

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

That is pretty close to what i was working with. I usually use evaporust for smaller parts and will probably use it on the collar (don't need to warm it this time of year in phoenix).
- Bill
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

A frame doesn't need high heat paint so any color will work. There is rattle can galvanize if you want that, or an aluminum will be close to original color. I did a white frame with a blue fount when I got tired of green 220s and that looks ok.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Wpavlis wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:58 am That is pretty close to what i was working with. I usually use evaporust for smaller parts and will probably use it on the collar (don't need to warm it this time of year in phoenix).
I bet not 😁 the photo above was 2 1/2 hours in 140 degree Evapo-rust... My experience it would take all day or two using electrolysis with scrubbing in between sessions. I'm in a hurry and lazy too boot 😉 Citric acid is another option but is hard on the original plating as well.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Some spray galvanize cans contain very high concentrations of zinc (Rusto is 48% zinc and 2% zinc oxide).

Will the frame get hot enough to oxidize the zinc (especially on the top of the frame) and create zinc oxide fumes?? You definitely do not want to breath ZnO2 fumes....

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

You could try your hand at nickel-plating it.

I plated the collar and frame of this 11/'34 B right over the runs and drips of remaining tin. Plating with nickel is pretty easy and cheap.

BTW--I don't find electrolysis to be slow. It generally only takes and hour or two if I have to turn the piece to get the whole thing. I do find that removing my work piece every hour or so and scrubbing it down with a little wire toothbrush removes loosened rust and allow the rest to clean faster.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
gootsch

Post by gootsch »

I painted a frame with galvanizing paint 25 years ago and have had no problems with the paint.
Gootsch
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

Thanks everyone. I would love to try nickel plating. I am not sure i can justify the cost of a power supply. For now i hit the frame with my trusty brass brush and most of the leftover stuff came off, but there was still a little bit of rust. Going to fire the tank back up for a few more hours tonight and see how it goes. I purchased some galvanizing spray as well. I will likely try using that.
- Bill
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

Here it is after taking out of the tank. No rust. I think it would look good if it were plated, but i am going to try the rustoleum cold galvanizing compound. I will post pictures of how that looks as well.
20210504_165033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Bill
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I bought an actual, adjustable PS for plating recently. Before that, I just used an old ATX PS from a discarded desktop computer. I can show you how to make one work if you want to give it a go.

I've had mixed results plating with tin, but nickel seems to be pretty easy.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

I have thought about trying it many times. I have watched many videos. I have never been able to find an old power supply. New ones are almost as much as a cheap adjustable power supply. I guess its time to start craigslist hunting!
- Bill