Electrolysis for 500 stove burner/bottom plate?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Electrolysis for 500 stove burner/bottom plate?

Post by Bob1774 »

Working on cleaning up a '40 A 500 Speedmaster (first year production).

The fount and ring cleaned up nicely, but the dang screws holding the cast iron burner rings together are just plain frozen, even after weeks of Kroil and PB Blaster, as are the screws that hold the burner to the bottom plate.

I'm thinking of just dunking the entire piece and using electrolysis to clean everything up.

It appears the bottom plate has a lot of original coating, but under 80 years of crud. Thought it might clean up like doing a cast iron skillet.

Any thoughts?
Bob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Electrolysis for 500 stove burner/bottom plate?

Post by Gunhippie »

500 bottom plate was painted. Depending on CA or US and years, black or silver.

I've used electrolysis for a lot of things, but never for freeing a stuck screw or bolt. Let us know how that works out!

For crappy greasy stuff, I use lye for my electrolyte. Works wonders but strips paint.

If your fount is nickel-plated, the electrolysis won't hurt that at all. If it's painted, you'll likely be re-painting.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Timm,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go slow, and use the least aggressive steps first. Using some orange cleaner to degrease the plate, then perhaps electrolysis if the paint is already gone.
If those screws break loose after electrolysis, then that would be a bonus. I was just trying to clean the cast iron while still attached to the plate. Fount is off and already shined up nicely. I'll get some photos up later.
Bob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Ah, those screws that hold the burner to the base plate can be a b****. I rebuilt and repainted my 500A without removing them.

If you find any tiny scraps of silver paint on the base plate or burner, Rustoleum High Temp Flat Silver 2,000F is a very good choice. It'll even hold up pretty well on the grate.

That's after a lot of use. Keeping a pot on the grate really helps to cool it--it gets bright red if running with nothing on it.

You can also see that I replaced all the screws I was able to get out with brass. Those will never rust into place.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.