Main burner issues - New 414

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ParrotheadJeff

Main burner issues - New 414

Post by ParrotheadJeff »

Howdy all! It's been a while since I've had a Coleman stove (I had to give away a couple of 425s I'd restored a few years ago). I figured going with a good deal on a brand new 414 sounded like a good idea. I got a decent deal on eBay and the stove arrived brand new as claimed. I tried firing it up for the first time this morning and ran into a problem. I tried it again on my lunch break and had the same issue.
So, here's the thing. This is an issue with the main burner. The stove lights up and works perfectly as long as I keep the control knob less than 1 full turn away from max open. If I go higher than this power setting, I get big yellow flames. This happens even if the burner has been running for 15 minutes. The lighting lever has no effect on this.
What does have an effect is using the left side auxiliary burner. The moment I turn the control to supply gas to that aux burner, the main burner settles down into a perfect blue flame. The moment I shut off fuel to the aux burner, the main goes all yellow again if it's less than one turn from full power.
The stove is brand new and the box was sealed up really well with tape, so I don't think there are cobwebs or insect nests in the bunsen etc. I'm using fresh Crown brand white gas, not unleaded car gasoline. I've tried less pressure at start-up. I've tried more pressure once it's going. I've tried 5+ minutes with the lighting lever up while it was starting. It keeps doing the same thing.
Should I take something apart? Should I check for an oversize jet somewhere since it seems to be running rich?
I'm really confused. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Main burner issues - New 414

Post by zoomkat »

" Thanks in advance for your assistance!"

Sounds like the stove is probably operating correctly. The solution probably is to open the fuel control valve full open when using both burners and throttle it back when using just one burner. With the fuel control valve full open, you may be providing more fuel than single burner operation can handle.
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

What zk said. The generator needs to be able to supply enough fuel for both burners, so with only the main burner running it will be fed more gas than it can efficiently burn if you open the valve all the way. That being said, in my experience the 414 is way more susceptible to this than most other stoves. I've worked on a LOT of 414 for the Amish. By far the most common reason or complaint is because "the flame is yellow and it makes my pots and pans black." Most of those will say "I have to open the other burner to make the flame blue". I will check out the stove, but normally end up explaining the over-fuel phenomenon to them. I actually have a Word document explaining this that I print out and put with the stove. I think you'll find that once the stove is up to temp, 3/4 - 1 turn open from full closed is the sweet spot for main burner only max flame without turning yellow.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Very good info here for most 2 burner stove users. Well said!
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
ParrotheadJeff

Post by ParrotheadJeff »

Thanks for this guys! I was kinda wondering if that was the case. I seem to recall being able to go full throttle on just the main on an old 425, but this is a bit of a different stove.
I actually called Coleman customer service yesterday morning to ask if this was normal, but they were less than stellar. Aside from not knowing anything, they weren't really listening.
I fired it up again last night and got a quick pic in the low light of late evening and the glow from the burners and thought I'd share it. Thanks again and I hope y'all have a fantastic day 8-)

Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

You’re welcome PJ, glad to have you here. You need some lanterns to go with the stove.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Yeah, what they said. And my 425's, 413's, and 417B all do this, just too much fuel for one burner.

Thanks for the flame shot.
Keith
ParrotheadJeff

Post by ParrotheadJeff »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:47 pm You’re welcome PJ, glad to have you here. You need some lanterns to go with the stove.
Thanks and I have a supposedly working 220F on its way to me from California right now, so that should be fun :P
Majicwrench wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:48 pm Yeah, what they said. And my 425's, 413's, and 417B all do this, just too much fuel for one burner.

Thanks for the flame shot.
Thanks for the further confirmation and you're most welcome 8-)
Bigdogg

Post by Bigdogg »

2 burner dual fuel stove almost brand new. On main burner a little below half the flame goes yellow,if I go higher or lower I get a nice blue flame. But that sweet spot is kinda right where I like to cook