Not a good replacement for old pumps

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Not a good replacement for old pumps

Post by Phredd »

I bought 3 lanterns via Craigslist a while back and had a friend pick them up since they were almost 3 hours away. I bought them even thought the photos were a little blurry and the pumps all looked weird. But three 220's for 12 bucks --- well couldn't pass them up.

Got them this weekend and what did the weird pumps turned out to be?? Tire valves. I've never seen this before and thought - hmm, might just be a clever idea. But would it work?? I put about 25 lbs of pressure in the tank, sprayed the pump tube with Simple Green and... no bubbles. I then walked out of the garage for about ten min, came back in just as the tire valve popped out of the tube. Not sure if it was the pressure or the liquid lubrication. I think it was the former since the check valve had a slow leak. IF I were to do this I think I would glue the things in place with a fuel resistant epoxy.

Regardless, I will be converting these all back to regular pumps.

Kevin
Tire valves 001.jpg
Tire valves 002.jpg
Tire valves 003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Not a good replacement for old pumps

Post by mksmth »

well that is certainly different. I dont undertand why you would want to be sure you had an air compressor or bicycle pump handy and not just use the normal pumps.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

mksmth wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:11 pm well that is certainly different. I dont undertand why you would want to be sure you had an air compressor or bicycle pump handy and not just use the normal pumps.
Yeah, me neither. I can understand it on a L327, but the modern pumps are danged efficient.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Creative for sure. Maybe an Amish farm had a bunch of them to light at one time? Although they use air, I don't think they use rubber inner tubes.
Low probability, but that set up would negate the positive check valve design. Lantern tips over, fuel enters check valve via snorkel, tire air stem blows out...fireball!
Bob
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Low probability, but that set up would negate the positive check valve design. Lantern tips over, fuel enters check valve via snorkel, tire air stem blows out...fireball!

That would make a great video!
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Never seen that one before... As was mentioned in another thread, "poor folks have poor ways" 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 am Never seen that one before... As was mentioned in another thread, "poor folks have poor ways" 😁
"Clueless folks have clueless ways."

There's no fixin' stupid. The fuel cal is where a Schrader valve goes if you have to do it. And NOT one with a rubber stem.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 am
Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 am Never seen that one before... As was mentioned in another thread, "poor folks have poor ways" 😁
"Clueless folks have clueless ways."

There's no fixin' stupid. The fuel cal is where a Schrader valve goes if you have to do it. And NOT one with a rubber stem.
So don't do this? 😁 I've got lots of tires stems handy 😆
ICCC #1939
Oldbiker

Post by Oldbiker »

I've heard of them but never visually seen one. For some reason I'm thinking Amish Folk may have used them but not positive.
Robert W. from TN.
If it's been done before, I can do it. Maybe not as good as some, but I can do it.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Works OK on a Petromax clone if made a little stronger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

never seen that before.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Tire schrader valves in place of the pump?
Sorry, but that has got to be one of the dumbest things I have seen. The lantern already comes with its own built in pressurization device, which stores nicely in the fount except for the knob on the pump. Someone comes along and removes the pump, meaning you have to carry a tire pump with you, or have a compressor handy. Also, they remove the positive air pressure stop that was provided by the air stem in the pump tube.

Like I said; Dumbest thing I've ever seen. This is the same kind of thing done by computer companies who change the GUI for no reason but to implement the new college kid's idea so he keeps his job. Dumb.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Everything already worked fine!!!!
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Fancy indeed, but it doesn't look right to me. I don't think it's going to work well on an operating lantern.
There might be some other purposes for this? Temporary stuffs such as overpressure tests?😁
Or filling/purging it up with nitrogen for storage, cargo?
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

Via the fuel cap with the nut and bolt style valve would be the only way to go.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

Dremwolf - would you kindly give a link, or url, so I can buy some of those valves ? Thanks.
Paul.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

paulgeorge wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm Dremwolf - would you kindly give a link, or url, so I can buy some of those valves ? Thanks.
I took that image from Facebook Marketplace. The guy wants $22 each for them. YIKES! I have seen them on here before and am sure they can be sourced elsewhere and cheaper.

Edited to add: I searched for "Coleman schrader valve cap" and a number of results came up. Funny thing is that same photo shows on Ebay for $10.99. States they are "Amish Made" as well. LOL
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

paulgeorge wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm Dremwolf - would you kindly give a link, or url, so I can buy some of those valves ? Thanks.
OCP has them.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1
Stewart
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

TwoCanoes wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:23 pm
OCP has them.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1
Too bad that did not show up in the Google search. I sure would have posted that!

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

austin65uri wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:36 am Works OK on a Petromax clone if made a little stronger.
Here's a couple thoughts on why the Schrader in the pump tube is actually a good idea when using some Petromax type lanterns. Many of them are notoriously hard to pump up with the standard issue pump, even with the double o- ring type plunger. The Petro has no pump stem needle valve shutoff to be affected, and by putting the Schrader on the pump, you leave the fuel cap as is with the gauge and pressure relief screw valve. :)
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

austin65uri wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:26 pm
austin65uri wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:36 am Works OK on a Petromax clone if made a little stronger.
Here's a couple thoughts on why the Schrader in the pump tube is actually a good idea when using some Petromax type lanterns. Many of them are notoriously hard to pump up with the standard issue pump, even with the double o- ring type plunger. The Petro has no pump stem needle valve shutoff to be affected, and by putting the Schrader on the pump, you leave the fuel cap as is with the gauge and pressure relief screw valve. :)
Bill I like this idea. I've actually broke mantles pumping up the Aida with it's crappy pump. I need to get back on that project... It's been in timeout for a few months 😁
ICCC #1939
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Any Aida fols who need a tire valve? I got three now and I’m not gonna use em in a Coleman or any other lantern. If you do use them in a Aida, make sure you glue them in real good.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Schrader valve goes on the filler cap, at least on Coleman style lanterns and lamps.

It's simple, it works, and it retains the function of the built-in pump and positive shut-off. For kero, sure, put it where the pump was. Those have NRVs instead of CVs. Replace your pips!
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

Now those pumps look country 👍🏻👍🏻
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #41
Perfection Heater Collectors #2 
CANADIAN BLUES SYNDICATE #57
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I bought them in Washington NC. A small town on the Pamlico River in eastern NC.

Phredd
ICCC#1799