288 Burner Tube

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
JLush

288 Burner Tube

Post by JLush »

I ended up with a couple of 288s in a batch of lanterns I recently bought. A bit new to really interest me but figured I'd clean them up and get them going so someone could enjoy them. One of them seems to have a clogged burner tube but I'm not sure that's the case for sure and less sure how you go about cleaning it. I lit it without mantles and one nozzle has a nice blue cone but the flame on the other side doesn't protrude much beyond the screen - like there's fuel but no air flow. Took it apart and put about 75psi of compressed air up the air tube, back thru the nozzles and thru the generator inlet. Tried flushing it out with water and nothing seems completely blocked but there sure seems to be a restriction in the somewhere. Doesn't look like there's any way to disassemble it as it's all crimped together. Has anyone ever dissected one of these? I'm wondering if there's baffling inside the round cap at the top that maybe has gotten plugged. Thoughts and insights appreciated...

John
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

ICCC #2025
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 288 Burner Tube

Post by zoomkat »

"Doesn't look like there's any way to disassemble it as it's all crimped together. Has anyone ever dissected one of these?"

It is quite common for spiders and similar to build nest in the burner tubes and mixing plenum. Instead of trying to take things apart which may break, I carefully pick out the burner screens, clean the tubes, then put the burner screens back in. If you have a torch, you can try sending the torch flame heat thru the burner screens and up the burner tube to singe out spider nest and webs.
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

2nd spider webs. they wont usually wash out or blow out. you have to get in there and dig them out.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Can you swap burner assemblies between the two and see if the problem moves with the burner?
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: January 1925 U.S. CQ Lamp
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

If you remove the burner frame, you can cover the generator hole and each burner tube outlet (intern), then blow down the air intake tube to check each burner tube for significant blockage. #22 wire and smaller can usually be carefully threaded thru a burner screen to check for burner tube blockage. Stiff stainless steel fishing leader wire might be a good wire to use.
JLush

Post by JLush »

zoomkat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:16 pm I carefully pick out the burner screens, clean the tubes, then put the burner screens back in.
I thought about this but wasn't sure how likely it is to pull the screens and get them back in place intact. May try roto-rooting with some small gauge wire.
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

ICCC #2025
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I thought about this but wasn't sure how likely it is to pull the screens and get them back in place intact. May try roto-rooting with some small gauge wire."

Removing/replacing the burner screens is fiddly work, but can be done if one takes the time to do it. I made some custom picks/hooks by bending the tips of safety pins. The wire from the smallest safety pin I had will fit thru the burner screen mesh without distorting the mesh. Be careful picking out the screen near the edges so you don't accidently pull out an edge screen wire. The wire in loaf bread twist ties (plastic/paper burned off) will easily fit thru the screen mesh. I used this looped thru the screen center so when the screen is pushed back in, the screen center can be pulled back out some so it is concave outward. Also, rust flakes can fall down from the burner sides and clog the back side of the burner screen. The small safety pin can be used to punch the material out of the screen mesh. One can turn the burner assembly up side down and then tap the assembly so the lose material will fall back into the burner mixing plenum, where it will probably stay trapped going forward.