275 seems to not be picking up fuel

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
jamesjon

275 seems to not be picking up fuel

Post by jamesjon »

Hello,

I am new to the Forum and new to Coleman repair. Forgive me if I do not always use the correct terminology.

I recently completed repair and clean up on an old 220K that I own. I started on my 275 and during disassembly was surprised at how clean it was. I thought this would be an easy clean and reassemble and done. Not so far.

I took the generator off and to check for leaks at the shrader valve I added a drop of was to the top of the eccentric block, pressurized the talk and watched for bubbles. No bubbles so I opened the valve and the air blew the water out. I filled the fount with about a pint of gas, reinstalled the old generator and pressurized the tank. When I opened the valve I could hear air hissing from the generator. I held a flame over the generator and it just made the flame dance around like blowing on a match.

I never heard any spitting like I did when I worked on my 220. Should I hear fuel spitting out if it is working properly?

Will a flame over the generator do anything if there is actually fuel coming out?

I removed the generator and opened the valve again and no fuel came out by the eccentric block.

I tried to remove the valve assembly and stopped at a point where I thought I was going to start tearing things up. I have read several places that more often than not heat is needed to help break this free. I assume that is just heating the tube above the fount without burning the paint off of the fount.

Could my F/A rod be clogged in such a way that it will let out air, but not fuel?

Any direction is appreciated.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 275 seems to not be picking up fuel

Post by Tgarner01 »

Sounds like you're on the right path to me. I personally wouldn't hold a flame above the generator orfice if it were me... That could lead to a flame thrower.... Unless you like that sort of thing 😁 yes more often than not you will have to heat the valve assembly just above the bung to get the sealant to release.

Are you working on a 275 or a 275A?
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Could my F/A rod be clogged in such a way that it will let out air, but not fuel?"

Yes. What was the original issue with the lantern that has you trying to take it apart? It is not uncommon for people to break a 275 trying to fix them. Be sure you do some systematic trouble shooting before putting a wrench on the lantern. Note that the 275 lanterns have a different fuel control valve than the 220 series lanterns.
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

Not sure I know the difference. The label on the outside says model 275
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

The original issue was that is had set up for probably a decade and would not light. I was hoping both my lanterns had the same problem (old gas needed cleaning) and this would just as easy a fix as the 220 was. New generator and fresh fuel fixed the 220.

the 275 holds pressure and air comes out of the generator, just does not seam to have any fuel with it. Is a pint for fuel enough for it to light?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"the 275 holds pressure and air comes out of the generator, just does not seam to have any fuel with it. Is a pint for fuel enough for it to light?"

Lanterns are usually designed be to start with a full tank of gas. They can be started with a lesser amount of fuel, but it is "all in the wrist" as they say. There could be other issues, but fill the tank full, pump it up good, and see if it sends more fuel to the generator and lights.
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

Okay, additional information that may or may not help.

I filled it up and pumped until it felt like it would not pump any more. About 40 times.

opened the valve until I heard air coming out of the generator. That hissing only lasted about 15 seconds and died off. When I opened the filler cap there was little to no pressure left. I still do not the burner assembly on, just the generator. I did not try to light it since the pressure died off so quickly, am not sure I wanted a torch.
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Look under the fuel knob on the frame rest. There will be printing there saying it is a Model 275A. A non A will not have any printing there.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

I do have a new generator that I can put on if that could be a cause of the rapid pressure release.
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

Model 275A
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I filled it up and pumped until it felt like it would not pump any more. About 40 times.
opened the valve until I heard air coming out of the generator. That hissing only lasted about 15 seconds and died off. When I opened the filler cap there was little to no pressure left."

If the fuel control valve has a light/start position and a run position, then pressurize the tank again, then turn the fuel control valve to the run/full open position. This should position the fuel control rod in the fuel pickup to the largest fuel pickup orifice size. See if this results in some fuel being supplied to the generator.
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

That is basically what I did the last time. I do not heard anything from the generator until the fuel knob is just short of wide open and then only 15 seconds. I will try it again and pay better attention.
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

Okay, My frame only has two markings on/off 9 o'clock and 3 'clock respectively. Added pressure (40) pumps or so. Moved the knob counterclockwise until 12 o'clock (eccentric block full upright) no sound from generator. At 10:30 roughly I start hearing air from the generator, but it only lasts about 15 seconds.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Hold the lantern 90 degrees or fully inverted while the valve is on and fuel will flow I'm betting... If the 275A F/A tube is at all restricted in the fuel orfice you will never get fuel no matter how hard to try until you physically clean it.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Coleman lanterns that don't have a "start" position typically need to be full open on the fuel control valve to start. If you open the fuel control valve fully and never get fuel, only air, then the fuel pickup assembly bottom orifice is probably clogged. Vigorously sloshing some fuel in the tank might splash the blockage off the orifice, otherwise you may need to pull the fuel pickup assembly out to clean the orifice.
A Seabee
Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

I'd like to add the the pricker function happens only 1 time, when the valve knob is at 12 o'clock. you can work it back and forth a couple times between 2 and 10 o'clock if you want more than 1 pricker operation. 275s aren't terrible to work on, just different. good luck
Dan

looking for 1/61, any Coleman lantern
Found 10/95 birthday lantern!
jamesjon

Post by jamesjon »

Thanks for all the advise. I will probably take this up again on Sunday when I have more time and patience. I will update on findings and post additional questions as they arise