M1942 vs 530 valve stem

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

M1942 vs 530 valve stem

Post by Phredd »

Anyone know if an M1942 valve stem will fit a 530. They look about the same size. I need one for a530 and OCP has a repro M1942.

Kevin
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Re: M1942 vs 530 valve stem

Post by ecblanks »

So ultimatley what you need is a valve stem for a 530?
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have looked into this , and i THINK it will work , i have a 520 shaft but the spline end are sheared off , took one out of a 530 project and it looks the same to me , the 520 used a different screw than a 530 so maybe there is a drill depth difference ? but mine is sheared off so cant compare that part . id prolly take the chance . i asked the forum not long ago and got an original 530 shaft from Kansas John but i think it was the last he had .
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

thanks Steve.

And Carleton, Yes. I need a valve stem for a 530. Or anything that will fit. I bought a 530 and it was missing the wheel. and the end of the stem looked like someone used pliers instead, repeatedly. There are no splines left...
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Genjbr

Post by Genjbr »

Steve, this may not be the proper way to ask for advice but here goes; I have a 530 stove that is in good condition except for the 4 screws holding the frame assembly. I’ve tried rust cutter on these screws and they won’t budge. I have reasonably large flat blade screwdriver which gives me enough to move most things. I don’t wasn’t to strip the heads.
Any ideas of what I could try safely?

Thanks

John
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

try cutting deeper slots with a dremil if there being stubborn . but heat maybe all thats needed . are the screws steel ? magnetic n rusty ? those are the hardest to get out . so i put some krill spray on em , then propane heat , i try to get the heat right on the screw , you have to be quick and you have to be ready , once heated try again ,( there are usualy some flames from the kroil :-) ) usually the first pass will get em , but i recently had one that took maybe 3 tries before i got it ..........you have to be pushing down pretty hard so the screwdriver doesnt slip out of the slot but not so hard you crush the fount ( i have seem em crushed from folks pushing too hard ). and the 4 screw bosses on the fount are just soldered in place , dont get em too hot or you will be sorry . it can also help to put a crescent wrench on the square sides of the leg and turn the wrench the same time as the screwdriver , that usually does it .....i have had one fount i couldn't get all the screws out of but it was a rust thru fount , had to drill that screw to save the frame . when using the dremil to cut a deeper slot you usually need to size the disc smaller to get in there without hurting anything else . gota take you time with these . good luck !!!

this is the only hard to part of fixing a 530 , once ya get the 4 screws out the rest is easy :-) Oh and replace those screws with brass ones , they come out easy .
Genjbr

Post by Genjbr »

Wow! Why can’t things be easy. I certainly don’t want crush a fount. Wonder why they used steel screws that would rust. I certainly don’t want to screw this up
thanks for the instructions

John
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

certainly didnt mean to make it sound so HARD , i rebuilt a 530 today , 3 screws came out with just PB blaster , one i had to add some heat for a couple seconds and it came right out ..if you just add to much pressure its easy to strip these screws and then it gets a lot harder , it wAS TRYING TO MAKE IT EASIER ON YA :-).. this one had the steel screws and they looked so nice i put em back in BUT i dont tighten em very tight , just enough and no more so ya can get em out down the road .
Genjbr

Post by Genjbr »

I:be just added PB Blaster and let then sit for awhile. I’ve tried it but so far they won’t budge. The heat is next. Hope that works. I’m trying to not put too much pressure on the removal for fear of doing serious damage.

Thanks for the advice
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I had one that the screws were stripping, and as I recall, did use PB Blaster before going too far. I ended up taking the stove with me to Lowes to find a screwdriver that would completely fill the slot. I believe the brand was Irwin, and these were long screwdrivers, but the slotted one was the only one that totally filled the slot and ended up removing the screws. It was a good investment.

When you replace the screws, make certain they're not longer or you're likely to punch a hole in the fount.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Well I went ahead and bought a M1942 valve stem from OCP and it is close to the correct size, but not close enough The M1942 us a bit shorter and has 1/4' threads. The 503 is longer and has 15/64" threads.

Oh well. Now I have a M1942 spare valve stem....
530 vs M1942 valve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

i wondered about those screw holes . sorry to steer ya wrong .
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

No worries. It’s all a learning process.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

i did mention the screw difference earlier in my defense , but you PAID the price for our education :-) its would probably work but these little things keep it from fitting inside the original canister more than just making it work ? im ALWAYS looking for fixes even if not exactly original ???? like i figured out by buying a nos lamp tip cleaner it fits the 530 perfectly but the handle is looped , no big deal if just making it work ? ...... im glad you shared Kevin
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Kevin , i been playing with some stoves lately and actually had a 530 , 520 , and M1942 valve shafts all in my hand at once and the differences are there , none are swap-able ......you can kinda see what im talking about in this link on the classicstove site

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/c ... 942.12236/