Leaking 533 valve

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
TunkTop

Leaking 533 valve

Post by TunkTop »

I have a few Coleman stoves that I play around with - a few suitcase stoves, a 500, a couple 502s, etc. They are all older and I have fettled each one to get it back into service or improve performance, so I pretty much understand their mechanics and how they work. My newest stove by far is a twenty year old 533. Yesterday, while I was in the garage winterizing my outboard motor, a cup of coffee sounded like a good idea. Because I cycle through my stoves, the 533 was up for use. When I lit it up, I noticed a drip from the valve lever. Looking closer, there no obvious packing nut like I am used to seeing.

So my questions are -
How are these sealed?
The garage was about 38 degrees, and I hadn’t seen any problem during warmer weather, so could temperature have been the reason?
Are these repairable or does the whole valve need to be replaced?

I knew there was a reason why I liked the older stuff.
E.B. Leland
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Leaking 533 valve

Post by JimL »

I don't have that stove, but it's likely dried/brittle O-rings rather than the packing you're used to seeing. I didn't go through this whole thread, but it may help:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22244
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

Thanks, Jim.
E.B. Leland
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

TunkTop wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:34 am I knew there was a reason why I liked the older stuff.
Yes, graphite packing and brass parts will last many decades whereas o-rings and plastic parts tend to last just a few decades. My 533 hasn't started leaking, yet, but the items I have worked on of similar vintage have been pretty easy to deal with. Around here, it has been harder to find replacement o-rings than it has been to get at the cracked ones. I bought a replacement o-ring set from OCP, but it didn't have all the o-rings I needed. I have had the best luck at O'Reilly's. They have the best selection of fuel-resistant o-rings, and they sell them individually rather than having to buy a whole batch.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
rdwing64

Post by rdwing64 »

Old coleman parts sell whole assembly!
rdwing64

Post by rdwing64 »

Scroll almost to end old stove parts. I changed mine out and bought a spare
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

Thanks everyone.
E.B. Leland
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

JimL wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:57 am I don't have that stove, but it's likely dried/brittle O-rings rather than the packing you're used to seeing. I didn't go through this whole thread, but it may help:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22244
Thanks Jim for pointing me in the right direction. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up their Viton 0-ring assortment and the size A008 fits perfectly. Obviously I don’t know about the long term, but it is tight now.
E.B. Leland