Why a pressure gauge?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
keith_b

Why a pressure gauge?

Post by keith_b »

So while I have owned a few Coleman lanterns and stoves over the years, I am new to collecting them. One thing I've come across that I am curious about is a filler cap gauge. Why a pressure gauge? I figure you give it a few pumps, light it, and as the flame or light dims you give it a few more pumps. Is there a real need?
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Why a pressure gauge?

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

No. Novelty item unless a big stove or HGP where you are using it for long periods of time.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
keith_b

Post by keith_b »

That's what I figured. Just a little lantern bling.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Maybe a novelty for a Coleman, but I wouldn't call these a novelty on a Petromax style lantern. The pumps on those are extremely inefficient and need a lot of pumps to fire up if you want it running right. If you get one equipped with a preheater torch, you'll be amazed how fast those draw down the air pressure and you probably won't be able to pump fast enough to compensate for the pressure drawdown.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
RR_RES
Colemanaholic

Post by RR_RES »

I think in some cases, you might need it. Some like to use a compressor, for whatever reason, to pressurize their lanterns, so having a pressure gauge helps determine when to stop pumping air.

To repair dented tanks and push out dents by using a compressor, you'd want to keep track of tank pressure

I guess this is more a general answer about pressure gauges and not necessarily on lanterns...
I have a few Tilley heaters and lanterns and some of their fuel tanks are prone to bulging at the bottom plate. Tilley heaters and lanterns actually have pressure gauges, just not the dial type. I believe they're the diaphragm type. Regardless,they have pressure gauges.

Regarding stoves, I'm not too worried about pressure. Especially on Coleman suitcase stoves. I think its hard to over-pressurize a Coleman camp stove tank. But on older camp stoves made by Prentiss Wabers for example, where the fuel tank is made out of thin brass, I would want a pressure gauge.

I also have Coleman radiant heaters, ranges, and HGPs. The heaters, ranges, and HGPs are usually used for long periods of time. The pressure gauge lets you know when to replenish tank pressure.
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

There is no real need for pressure gauges on a lantern unless you happen to be one of those over-zealous pumpers working on a fount that has a tendency to rupture by overpressure.
Well, its nice to have an indicator nevertheless.
You'd only find them convenient when you have lanterns that come with rapid preheaters(Petromax styled ones).
The tiny gauges are usually inaccurate anyway.
You don't really need to adjust a lantern's output by using the pressure gauge. You'd be better off at that by visually judging the emitted light directly.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I've used a pressure gauge mostly out of curiosity. How much pressure are we putting into a filled lantern or stove with forty or sixty strokes? Turns out, around twenty-five to thirty psi is about ideal for most of my lanterns and stoves.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
cptuap
Colemanaholic

Post by cptuap »

Agree Timm, 25 to 30 lbs. until I fire the HC and that bugger is not happy with anything less than 50 to 60 lbs. but yikes! Lights up my whole back yard. During a power out period last winter it provided light and heat for half my house for about four hours.
Charlie  ICCC#1375
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

This lantern needs a pressure gauge. I tend to run it at 60 PSI, so I fill it to around 65 PSI to compensate for pressure loss in the split second it takes to disconnect the hose.

HC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jim

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

A Schrader valve fuel cap could allow the use a tire pressure gauge to check tank pressure, as well as other useful things.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>A Schrader valve fuel cap could allow the use a tire pressure gauge to check tank pressure, as well as other useful things.

This is a joke, right? Or you've obviously never tried to measure pressure from a low volume device.
-Jim

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"This is a joke, right? Or you've obviously never tried to measure pressure from a low volume device."

Well, you need a "better than trash" pressure gauge. The dial type (at least the one I have) have better sealing/efficiency than the cheap stick types. Also, the better manual tire pumps have built in gauges. For higher pressures, bicycle tire pumps might be a choice. YMMV
thezman
Colemanaholic

Post by thezman »

Larry
Tigerfans2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tigerfans2 »

Another troubleshooting tool.
Coleman Slant Saver #58
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #8
Coleman Blues 243's #16

Mike
bp4willi

Post by bp4willi »

@JimL
Yes, i observed too. The HC Lightning bug needs far more pressure than common pressure lanterns. While others are beyond full throttle at 2.5 bar , the HC does only start at the pressure. Max brightness at incredible 5 bar.
This is, why i stopped using coleman style hand pump. Use battery compressor instead.
brass bender
AtLarge

Post by AtLarge »

I like to use one to watch how long it will hold the pressure.
129 6/38, 134 6/38, 143 7/38, 609A 8/39, 220C 3/45, 228D B/48, 200A 11/59, 252A 1959 #1959, 237 11/60, 426D N/64, 228F 4/66, 200A 2/72, 413G 3/73, 200A 10/73, 425E 11/73, 220H 12/73, 513A 11/74,576 1/78, 275 2/80 #0230, 502 5/83, 425F 9/83, 288 11/83, 413H 3/85, 290 5/88, 214A no date, 5359 LOL
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

My 1960 Ford Falcon has a manual transmission and no tachometer, it's kinda the same deal. It helps you learn, some people really enjoy watching it but overall nobody needs it.
Paul
Northman49
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

JimL wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:43 am This lantern needs a pressure gauge. I tend to run it at 60 PSI, so I fill it to around 65 PSI to compensate for pressure loss in the split second it takes to disconnect the hose.

Jim...what's the model/make of your hand held inflator?

HC.jpg
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Hi Ed,

It's a Ryobi. I don't know if you have Black Friday sales and Home Depot's in Canada, but for Black Friday here, you can get it for $20. I think it's at that price right now. However, it doesn't come with a battery or charger. I think they primarily sell these to folks that already have some Ryobi tools. It's super convenient.
-Jim