Need coaching on Quicklite Lantern

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
gotac65

Need coaching on Quicklite Lantern

Post by gotac65 »

ImageI recently picked up a couple of early QL lanterns. I have never fetteled one of these so I'm looking for some insight. Lantern has wrong globe but other than that it fired up and ran okay with no pulsing, but it does seem to have a little to much flame or over burn. Burning a little dimmer than a normal lantern. Replaced cap gasket and holds pressure. When I initially fire it up there is excessive fuel leaking from mixing chamber. Not sure how to get the burner cage off. Does the square nut on the generator hold everything in place? Wanting to shine it up but don't want to damage anything. My research leads me to believe the lantern was made in the time frame of 1920 to 1927. Any tricks or shortcuts on tear down and re-assembly will be greatly appreciated.
ICCC# 1740
Tony North Texas
Mable and Jasper's
Beauty Parlor & Chainsaw Repair
We can fix anything!
Deanofid

Re: Need coaching on Quicklite Lantern

Post by Deanofid »

Hello Jasper, or Mable; :)

If the QL lanterns flare up when you light them it is usually because you need to preheat the generator on this type of lantern. They are not like the later 220 models that have an instant light function. You need to use a little torch or one of those torch type cigarette lighters to heat the generator for about 45 seconds before you light the lantern. That should stop the excess fuel and flaming. Heat the generator with the fuel valve closed, and after that 45 seconds or so, when you open the valve it should light right off.

The square nut you asked about just holds on the generator. You need to take that off before you disassemble the lantern, though. After that, just wait a bit and lets have some one else tell you the rest of the sequence. I've forgotten the proper way to do it, but I know you want to be careful not to bend the "ears" that go around the thing called "the figure 8 fitting". FYI, the "figure 8" is a casting that looks like an 8, as you may have guessed, and it is what is under the square nut for the generator.

Please wait for one of the other guys to pop in and tell the correct way to disassemble from there. I know how I do it, but it's not regulation!

Dean
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  www.deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Basically what Dean said is what there is to know. Pull the generator out, spin the burner off via the figure 8, and the frame and collar should just lift right off after it. No need to remove the valve unless it isn't delivering fuel or you really want to deep clean it (or if it's broken somehow, but that should be obvious), since there's no complicated mechanism like the later lanterns have. Also no real standard "clocking" to worry about; just put the frame cutout (assuming it has one) over the fuel cap and tighten everything else.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
gotac65

Post by gotac65 »

So after I remove the generator the part that I want to turn counterclockwise to remove the cage and collar is the figure 8? Dean mentioned not to damage the ears beside the figure 8. Does the cage and figure 8 turn together to avoid damage to the ears on base of cage?

Thank you
Tony
ICCC# 1740
Tony North Texas
Mable and Jasper's
We can fix anything!
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Yes, apply torque directly to the figure 8 so you don't screw up the air tubes.The ears are on a baffle plate in the center of the frame base. That should turn independent of the frame as a whole, but with the figure 8. Underneath, between the baffle and the frame, will be a thick washer, don't lose it or you'll crush the baffle when you go to put it back together...
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Listen to what Willcat says. He helped me with my first 427 and he knows what he is talking about.
Shawn
Shawn
"The truth is that most of us don't know what direction we are going until we arrive there."
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Thank you guys for coming to the rescue. I couldn't remember for sure how to get the figure 8 off without bending the "ears" on the part of the 8 that the large air tube is threaded into, next to the genny threads.

Are we helping yet, Mable and Jasper?
gotac65

Post by gotac65 »

Yes. Will try to get to it this weekend.
Thank you

Tony Bledsoe
ICCC# 1740
Tony North Texas
Mable and Jasper's
We can fix anything!
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Here's how I remove the figure-8:

Set the Crescent (or adjustable if you don't have a Crescent) Wrench to fit over the figure-8 AND the ears (That's a 220B there, but the same idea. Use a rubber strap wrench on the rim of the fount to give you some leverage). If you have a very early QL or 327, it will not have a baffle plate and the ears will be part of the frame base.

Chances are pretty good that the ears are already laid flat. That's been the case on every one of these oldsters I've worked on. Fortunately, the metal is soft and the ears can be carefully bent back up.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Thanks Timm. Every thought and idea is another way to a means. Or means to a way. I dunno, you know what I mean!