Imperial Iron question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Imperial Iron question

Post by Phredd »

My friend and lantern collaborator Paul recently picked up this Imperial Iron.
The connection between the valve and the inside of the iron has a space (see red arrow in last photo). Is something missing or is the valve assembly bent?
Imperial Iron 02.jpg
Imperial Iron 01.jpg
Imperial Iron 04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Imperial Iron question

Post by SteveRetherford »

some early coleman irons have a gap like that . i think thats where air enters to mix with the fuel ? the fuel shoots the gap there when you open the valve .
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

What Steve said.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Thanks.

I will endeavor to light this thing and will do it outside in case fuel shoots out all over the place!
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

NO!

An air gap like that would be AFTER the generator! That set-up will be shooting raw, unvaporized fuel. Not safe from where I sit.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Thanks for the safety tip.

Anyone have a photo of what it is supposed to look like? Or a parts diagram?
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Can you show a picture with the top removed so we can see how the rest of it is set up?
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

these are NOT instant lighting !!!

your right if it were COLD !!!! but no , once this has been pre heated the tank gets kinda hot creating pressure . this is just like a coleman . it shoots the gap and sucks in air there . you dont lite these cold like your number 4 Timm . these need to be pre heated first . can you see the air gap here ?

what you cant see here is the brass fuel line that is in direct contact with the flame inside before it shoots that gap . it comes out vaporized not raw .

its quite an elaborate process to pre heat one of these , cumbersome n awkward , as you pour alcohol inside , take the upper tank assembly off n set it over the lit preheat flame , then quicky put it back together n lite it with out burning your self , this style didnt last very long before it switched to quick liteing .

kevins functions very similarly to a coleman .

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Like Terry Marsh's website used to call these gravity fed irons as there is no built in pump or air stem to put air inside , there pressurized by the preheat .... gravity would need an open fuel tank not a sealed tank ........been thru all this years ago and he up dated his web info .
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

I believe Steve is right, that's why I asked for for a picture with the top off. I have a Monitor iron with a similar setup with the gap. Thought I had a picture showing that, but don't off hand.
Monitor patent date.jpg
Inside fire.jpg
The tank is mounted on the front of this one. The copper fuel line runs from the sealed tank along side the burner to heat the fuel and vaporize it. You can't see here, but there is a "pre-heat cup" cast into the bottom plate under the generator. That provides the initial vaporization until the fuel is vaporized by running alongside the burner. Heat from the iron heats the tank creating pressure, so after a while it really gets going. I don't need to remove anything except the top plate to hold a match to the burner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I’ll get some more photos later today.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

More photos below. And a couple of observations:
1) the tank needs to be pressurized - and Paul has the pump that attaches to the top of the tank.
2) the space between the valve and the body appears to be the air intake. There is a close up of the small orifice that the valve opens up and the valve itself. a
3) opposite the valve orifice, there is a very short tube (see the threaded end) that screws in and out - to regulate the fuel/air mix??

I THINK the fuel flows out of the tank under pressure. Goes through the loop in the main body of the iron that is above the flames and gets vaporized. Then it goes through the valve and the orifice - air is added, and the mix goes to the burner.

All we need to do now is silver solder the top of the tank (see crack in photo just below the filler cap.
Imperial Iron 05.jpg
Imperial Iron 06.jpg
Imperial Iron 07.jpg
Imperial Iron 12.jpg
Imperial Iron 11.jpg
Imperial Iron 13.jpg
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799