425 Master Burner Color

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ka5eiz

425 Master Burner Color

Post by ka5eiz »

Should the master burner cup, cap and parts of the burner rings be red and orange when burning on high? The flame itself is a nice blue. My 425B does this but if my 414 does not show near as much color on the burner parts. I am burning CF with a new generator, not doing anything unusual.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 425 Master Burner Color

Post by zoomkat »

"Should the master burner cup, cap and parts of the burner rings be red and orange when burning on high?"

Probably not. A picture of the situation would help. Have you taken that burner apart? The burner rings act as a flame arrestor, and when miss aligned, this function may be degraded, allowing combustion inside of the burner itself.
ka5eiz

Post by ka5eiz »

I have taken the burner assembly apart and cleaned the rings, cup, and cap. In the entire stove has been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. There is no visble misalignment of the rings. This burner cup has tabs to align the rings. I maintained the proper sequence of rings when I reassembled the burner. Could I be over driving the burner, too much pressure?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

" Could I be over driving the burner, too much pressure?"

Probably not. Did the burner have this issue before you took it apart? You have made an assumption that you have done things correctly, but yet it is not operating correctly. There is a reason the first thing i asked was "Have you taken that burner apart?".
ka5eiz

Post by ka5eiz »

I inspected the rings to make sure that they are in order and aligned. There are no flames in inappropriate places around the burner to indicate leaks, the burner and all components are centered. I am not home now, I can post pictures later this evening.
ka5eiz

Post by ka5eiz »

I did not get a chance to take pictures of the burner last night. I don't think there is really necessarily anything wrong with the burner. I am getting a nice even blue flame, I just noticed a difference between this one and my other stove and wanted to hear some opinions as to how much color the burner parts should show. I found a new burner cap, cup and ring set online so I bought it, $10 why not. I also purchased a one piece filler cap for safety.
The stove is roughly as old as I am, it is a square case, red tank, green leg 425B; 1958 to 1961 according to what I have read. It has good paint and no rust on the tank. The case is also in great shape; paint is intact except for a few scratches and oxidation. I think I will replace the burner, buff the paint, and apply a coat of clear lacquer to brighten the finish and protect it from rust and oxidation. It should be working and looking great when I die. All three of my children camp with their families, they can fight over it.

Just had a thought, I probably should restore another stove and two more lanterns so that each of my kids can get one stove and one lantern and not have to fight. It would be the right thing to do....
Last edited by ka5eiz on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

A pic would help folks understand just how much color your getting on that burner to judge.

Don't toss that three-piece cap! For around a buck, you can get a replacement gasket from our host, OCP. I don't see one there at the moment, but he'll likely have them back in stock very soon.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
ka5eiz

Post by ka5eiz »

I agree, I am keeping the filler cap and I already made an OCP order for an insert with a new gasket and a new aux burner cup so that both burners will almost match. I can use the old cap to show the stove in original condition and as a backup for both stoves and my lantern.
I expect I will have time this weekend to post a picture of the burner on full.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

If you have a steady blue flame, and all burner components are present and correctly installed, you probably don't have a problem. I have several similar stoves with the same condition. Your picture will help confirm.
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67 W)
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

A #112 Viton or Buna-N o-ring from the hardware auto-parts store works great for a three-piece cap gasket. I prefer them to the flat ones.

Now trying to remember what the cause and cure was when I had the problem of burning inside the burner....
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.