Exponenent Xcursion generator loose?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ctuan13

Exponenent Xcursion generator loose?

Post by ctuan13 »

Hey guys, so I recently scored an Exponent Xcursion mini lantern on ebay! Super excited opening the box that arrived yesterday. However, as the seller shipped it partially disassembled, upon assembly I noticed something odd.

When I was placing the generator into the valve base and then slipping the combo reflector/hold down for the generator, I noticed that even with pressure from the globe pushing down on it, the generator was still loos enough to move up and down almost 1/8th of an inch. Is this normal or should I be worried that my new lantern will explode?

Although having plenty of experience with CF lanterns, I've never touched a propane/butane unit so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Chuck
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Exponenent Xcursion generator loose?

Post by JimL »

Chuck,

Please post a pic. The only generators on propane lanterns were in the early days of propane with Coleman. There's no generator on an Xcursion butane/propane lantern, unless I'm thinking of something totally different. I cannot imagine a way for it to explode other than placing it on a lit stove burner and leaving it there, so relax about that. The lantern does have a shutoff knob if something were to go wrong.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

That is not a generator, just the burner tube. Just push it down into the base, put the reflective base on, and do not worry about it. It is not going to explode on you. If it were going to leak, you will just have flame coming out at the base. I have had a couple of these little guys. I never had a problem with them leaking.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Seat the burner as Dan suggested, and use this crease to slide the heat shield over the burner. The heat shield holds the burner down and is aligned with a tab in the base to seat it in its proper orientation.

Xcursion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jim

bluepen61
Colemanaholic

Post by bluepen61 »

Nice photo Jim! Mine are like that too. Great design unless you loose or misplace the heat shield. Love these backpack lanterns.
John L. Kemmis ICCC #703
Bernz Appreciation Club #007
I collect the Coleman 290 series
and the usual unusual ones.
ctuan13

Post by ctuan13 »

Hey guys, sorry for just getting back to you today, I have been busy and haven't been able to hop on the forum. Thanks for the tips. Yeah I figured it probably wasn't a generator, but I didn't really know what else to call it. Burner tube makes more sense.

I've been trying to upload a photo but I can't seem to get the sizing right for the site to accept the photo from my phone. (I'll figure it out at some point)

But Jim's photo essentially shows what I was talking about.

The only reason I originally asked about leaking or explosions, is just that even with the reflector in place and pushed down, the burner tube still has a bit of play up and down. But as long as that's okay, I won't worry about it!

I got a can of isobutane and the adapter so I'll try firing it up tonight!

Thanks!
Chuck
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

No explosion, but if not familiar with the lantern, you might get a 'poof' when you go to light it. It's hard to get the valve open, light a match, and get the match into the lighting hole before some gas builds up. It happens to me and it's no big deal, but I don't like it. :)

Just so you know, you don't need to use isobutane. I personally think that stuff is way too expensive, but that's probably because of the stores that sell it. The Coleman butane/propane mix canisters or ordinary butane work fine.
-Jim

ctuan13

Post by ctuan13 »

Yeah I became intimately familiar with the whoosh if I let the gas build up the first time I went to light it! Good news is it runs great! I burned in the mantle first with a torch lighter. And I find that if I light my Zippo and then open the valve and tip the lantern on its side for a second to let my Zippo's flame in the lighting hole, it lights pretty quickly without much of a whoosh.

And good to know on the fuel, I figured I'd try isobutane first for better cold performance since I wanted to try using it outside for the evening, but definitely for indoor use, I'll probably just use stove butane.

Thanks!
Chuck
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I'd like to know how that isobutane works in cold weather, like 30 degrees or so. Butane at 32 degrees is something like .8 psi, so useless. Propane is supposed to be good in cold weather, but seeing what folks have posted about using propane stoves in cold weather didn't bare this out.
-Jim

BrianP

Post by BrianP »

JimL wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 am I'd like to know how that isobutane works in cold weather, like 30 degrees or so. Butane at 32 degrees is something like .8 psi, so useless. Propane is supposed to be good in cold weather, but seeing what folks have posted about using propane stoves in cold weather didn't bare this out.
What we commonly call Isobutane gas is usually around a mix ratio of 20% propane with 80% Isobutane. The lower gas vapour pressure of this mix allows the use of a much lighter cylinder.

The propane boiling point is around -44F, which allows a low temperature use of the gas, Isobutane's boiling point is around 11F. Both operate well at normal(?) temperatures. Considering both fuels donate roughly the same kilojoules of energy, the isobutane doesn't cause much of an efficiency loss at, let's say, summer temperatures.

Propane, being a lower vapour pressure fuel, builds a high pressure quickly but then loses its pressure quicker due to the cooling effect of going from a liquid to a gas...which is why we get a frost buildup on the outside of a propane tank. (Also the reason our Buddy Heater doesn't want to work in our winters here.) The isobutane in the mix slows down this cooling effect so the canister can be used at a lower temperature, such as we get in the Rockies in winter.

I hope this feeble attempt helps with the question.
There are two types of people in this world...avoid them.

Brian
Calgary
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>The isobutane in the mix slows down this cooling effect so the canister can be used at a lower temperature, such as we get in the Rockies in winter.

What temperature would that be? I've not personally read of anyone being impressed using either gas at freezing temps, although the specs imply it's no problem, at least with propane.

Also, are you stating that the propane 'flow rate' would be equivalent to an appliance using isobutane and that only propane would develop the frost? I just can't think of a stove or lantern using isobutane that would consume the volume of a typical propane appliance.

Although unrelated to this topic, I found the following video interesting. When thirty thousand gallons of boiling propane
BLEVE'd (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion), it sent the propane car a record 3640 feet. This was followed later in the evening with another BLEVE of a car containing 50,000 gallons of isobutane.
-Jim