288 o-ring

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

288 o-ring

Post by ecblanks »

Trying to diagnose why my 288 is flooding so badly on lightup (yes I'm aware that they "do that" , but mine is worse than it should be), and noticed this o-ring part from OCP.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1

Is it the same as the black rubber o-ring at the top of the F/A tube? If so , why does it look brass in this pic?
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 288 o-ring

Post by Ridge Runner »

Yea, Carlton, that is same the o-ring that is on top of the fuel feed tube. Not sure on the color difference, I think (?) the one I purchased from OCP earlier this year was black.

If your lantern is flooding, have you made sure the air passageway in the fuel feed tube is clear? If the tube is compromised--restricted air circuit or cracked below the fuel level line--it will only grab straight fuel.

I'm assuming the fount is not overfilled? Do you have another tube to try in its place?
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Trying to diagnose why my 288 is flooding so badly on lightup (yes I'm aware that they "do that" , but mine is worse than it should be)"

What is your startup procedure? If this is an "adjustable" lantern, the fuel control valve needs to be put full open for starting up.
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Just tried it out; the air passage is completely blocked. I had bought the tube from OCP about 3 years ago, so I compared it to my original tube. I swapped the cores and rings (the ring on the old tube crumbled; probably what was wrong with it), so now I should have a good one. Should be testing shortly.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

That took care of it. There's not much left of the o-ring that's on there so I may still end up getting a couple.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Good news! Glad to hear it was a relatively quick fix.

A fresh o-ring will definetly keep any air from seeping past those threads causing a slow depressurization. You can check it now if you want to by pumping up the empty fount and dipping the genny tip into some water while the fuel valve is off.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Ridge Runner wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:10 pm Good news! Glad to hear it was a relatively quick fix.

A fresh o-ring will definetly keep any air from seeping past those threads causing a slow depressurization. You can check it now if you want to by pumping up the empty fount and dipping the genny tip into some water while the fuel valve is off.
I have way too much stupid optimism to do an incremental test. Already put it back together and lit it, twice! Yeah, this has bitten me more than once :D
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973