Cleaning old gummy fuel from a fount

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Doug_L

Cleaning old gummy fuel from a fount

Post by Doug_L »

Hello gentlemen. What do you guys use to clean out a fount of old gummy tar like fuel? This is a 80 year old 237A lantern that may have used kero or Coleman fuel. I scraped some out with a wood stick but I want to get it all out. I have it soaking in acetone at the moment.
looking for a Hugo Moller Comet  Stove 5 or 6

sleebus

Re: Cleaning old gummy fuel from a fount

Post by sleebus »

If it's a 237, it was filled with Kerosene. Denatured Alcohol will get that stuff out in a jiffy. Just fill it up and let it sit. It will dissolve it with no physical effort on your part. Works like magic.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Are you seeing any action using the acetone?

Typically denatured alcohol is my go-to. Just don't leave it sit on painted surfaces or decals--wipe it up pretty quickly. A little shake, rinse, repeat is sometimes needed. You can filter it throught some paper towels to get any large debris out and reuse it.

I have also used hot citric acid and lye--not together, though! Lye comes with it's hazards, too--protective gear for skin and eyes is a must. It will also damage paint and decals.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I use very hot to boiling citric acid. I find it does a great job of eliminating the residue as well as any rust at the same time. I haven't tried it with old kero residue, but would expect the same results.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

A trick I learned on these very pages for dealing with old, crummy fuel in a fount is dishwasher detergent which has lye in it. A friend once gave me a 228 tranny E/F that had a fountful of old RUG and I used the dishwasher soap trick to clean it out. I filled the fount and let it soak overnight and did that two or three times.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I've used carb spray.

Spray it for about 5-10 seconds, add a few ounces of Coleman fuel and let sit. After a half hour dump it out. Rinse with old Coleman fuel, repeat until clean.

On really thick black gunk in a fount I've had success with Muriatic Acid. Using all applicable safety precautions, it can sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with hot water. Rinse with Denatured Alcohol then some fresh Coleman fuel.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
58idaho
Colemanaholic

Post by 58idaho »

Carb cleaner works good. Though on painted founts I have had it remove paint.
Don
Doug_L

Post by Doug_L »

Denatured Alcohol seems to have worked well using the BB shake method. It took about 15 rinses using a screened funnel until it came out clean. Not sure what fuel was in there, RUG Kero or CF. Just because its a 237A I can't assume the previous owner used kerosene. What ever that was in there Ill use it as weed killer.
Thanks Gentlemen
Doug
looking for a Hugo Moller Comet  Stove 5 or 6