242C valve stem packing nut thread size?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
JD37B

242C valve stem packing nut thread size?

Post by JD37B »

Anybody know what the thread size may be for the packing nut on the valve stem assembly of the 242 where the graphite packing gets compressed? I believe it may be 7/16"-32, but am not really sure. Fettling a nice 242C birthday lantern and had to clean out the old graphite inside the packing nut. I already have soaked the nut and packing overnite and carefully removed most of the old graphite with drill bits by hand until I am up to a Z bit. This should be good enough to install a new packing but just curious to know the thread size inside that packing nut. Thanks Ron
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 242C valve stem packing nut thread size?

Post by Ridge Runner »

Ron, are you looking to chase the threads just to clean them out? Or do you suspect they are damaged?

If you just need to chase them, a set of dental-type pics and hooks do a good job of getting into the valleys of the thread.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I think a great resource would be a list of thread sizes for screws, nuts, caps, valves etc.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
JD37B

Post by JD37B »

Ridge Runner wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:21 am Ron, are you looking to chase the threads just to clean them out? Or do you suspect they are damaged?

If you just need to chase them, a set of dental-type pics and hooks do a good job of getting into the valleys of the thread.
No, the threads are OK and the new packing will go in without effort, just curious about the thread size in case I need to chase threads on one in the future. It would be helpful to have a list of thread sizes for all the threads found on Coleman lanterns, if one exists. Thanks, Ron